Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭patch

I'll happily risk my second infraction of the week.
    The Kaiser Chiefs may be muck, but having seen them three times live, for various reasons, Ricky Wilson is to be fair, an excellent front man.

Now, I'm off to have a shower
    Yep, I was shocked at how good they were at slaine.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Nugget89 wrote: »
    Well that's Smashing Pumpkins ruled out.
    Touring the states from July to September 7th.

Thank God for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Don't think it will be about the headliners for me this year judging by the names being thrown around.. Depeche Mode or Arcade Fire would be epic but I am not optimistic about either turning up.

Potential to be a very strong lineup elsewhere though, would be hoping to see any of the following announced: Chrvches, HAIM, Cigarettes After Sex, Jon Hopkins, MGMT, Jungle, Tame Impala, Sigrid, Mogwai, Slowdive, Rhye, Parcels. All seem to be active this summer and not playing any other Irish gigs!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Don't think it will be about the headliners for me this year judging by the names being thrown around.. Depeche Mode or Arcade Fire would be epic but I am not optimistic about either turning up.

Potential to be a very strong lineup elsewhere though, would be hoping to see any of the following announced: Chrvches, HAIM, Cigarettes After Sex, Jon Hopkins, MGMT, Jungle, Tame Impala, Sigrid, Mogwai, Slowdive, Rhye, Parcels. All seem to be active this summer and not playing any other Irish gigs!

They did say at the NME awards that they will be announcing a UK tour soon

They did say at the NME awards that they will be announcing a UK tour soon

Surely they owe us for cancelling last time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

I would have been ok with the idea of Smashing Pumpkins at the festival ,obviously their tour schedule has now knocked this on the head,ah well an early contender for EP 2019 .......ahem!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭declanleo

Nugget89 wrote: »
    Well that's Smashing Pumpkins ruled out.
    Touring the states from July to September 7th.

They were never reforming and coming straight to Europe. Will headline Glastonbury next summer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

declanleo wrote: »
    They were never reforming and coming straight to Europe. Will headline Glastonbury next summer

Assuming they get through this US tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,661 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

I would have been ok with the idea of Smashing Pumpkins at the festival ,obviously their tour schedule has now knocked this on the head,ah well an early contender for EP 2019 .......ahem!!!!

Can we have a 2019 thread please?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

BadTurtle wrote: »
    ..mediocre/****e side of things:
    Ben Howard..

BadTurtle, I'm putting your name in TherapyBoy's black book

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

The Killers are ruled out.

Gig 26th June RDS

• Registered Users Posts: 19,725 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

The Killers are ruled out.

Gig 26th June RDS

oF84HE

Haim are possibly ruled out

Olympia 12th June.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Killers and Haim ruled out. Positive morning folks.

Franz ferdinand possibly ruled out, supporting the Killers on their RDS date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

They really have fallen far. It's a shame, they're twice the band the Killers are.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭LFC CONNAUGHTON

There are going to be 6 Trinity gigs again this year, that'll probably be another 6 acts ruled out of EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

There are going to be 6 Trinity gigs again this year, that'll probably be another 6 acts ruled out of EP.

Has this been confirmed anywhere?

Killers. HAIM. Seems every time we mention potential acts they get booked elsewhere. Are the NSA & MCD monitoring this site? if so can you please keep the Arctics & KOL away.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭LFC CONNAUGHTON

dmm82 wrote: »
    Has this been confirmed anywhere?

It has yeah, got an email about it from the college today.

"Six concerts running Monday 23rd July to Sunday 29th July, with no concert on Thursday 26th July."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

"Six concerts running Monday 23rd July to Sunday 29th July, with no concert on Thursday 26th July."

Oh super!! Really enjoyed the gigs there last year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Wooderson

This is a bit of a sickener. Really dilutes the quality of the Picnic line up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Plus when you factor in some of the gigs at The Iveagh Gardens as well, namely Eels and The The (who would suit EP ideally!!!), it makes you wonder what artists are they trying to add to the festival....

Trinity having 6 gig will take a good few options away from picnic.. If Chrvhces are playing one of them I'll be raging. Say it will be some of the names on the Mad Cool poster?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

So I just got an email from the 'alltogethernow' lads

Some interesting bits in there:

a festival for like-minded people, music lovers, passionate performers, families, artists, musicians, creators, rebels, and refugees of a changing festival landscape…

There will be fun across 10 stages including an alfresco crystal ballroom, Spiegeltent and various different hidden quirky gems.

12 miles of stone walls enclose the grounds, creating a magic space for this 10,000 capacity event.

All Together Now is Strictly Over 21s.
    Children between the ages of 2 and 12 can attend free of charge, accompanied by a parent with a family ticket.

Strictly 21s
    Looking for refugees from other festivals
    Seems like a big hello wave to the older EP crowd to me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

kg703 wrote: »

a festival for like-minded people, music lovers, passionate performers, families, artists, musicians, creators, rebels, and refugees of a changing festival landscape…

There will be fun across 10 stages including an alfresco crystal ballroom, Spiegeltent and various different hidden quirky gems.

12 miles of stone walls enclose the grounds, creating a magic space for this 10,000 capacity event.

Children between the ages of 2 and 12 can attend free of charge, accompanied by a parent with a family ticket.

Strictly 21s

Yeah just read it there, sounds really great to be honest. I can’t go as couldn’t do that and ep in the one month, but it would tempt me from ep if the reports are good from this years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

basically just another Body & Soul festival...

kg703 wrote: »

Strictly 21s

Got the same email. Hard to see many people splashing out €155 on early bird tickets for an unestablished festival without a line-up and in a saturated market. I wish them well but I think their timing is off and they'll need some special acts to lure 10,000 people there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Got the same email. Hard to see many people splashing out €155 on early bird tickets for an unestablished festival without a line-up and in a saturated market. I wish them well but I think their timing is off and they'll need some special acts to lure 10,000 people there.

Will they though. A few reasonable headliners should fill a festival that has some of the cachet of early EP and those who yearn for things in the good old days. Essentially thats just the capacity of the Point.

• Advertisement

Will they though. A few reasonable headliners should fill a festival that has some of the cachet of early EP and those who yearn for things in the good old days. Essentially thats just the capacity of the Point.

Much of their demographic will already have shelled out for EP, B&S, Beatyard, FF or the standalone gigs at Donnybrook, Malahide, etc. Bottomless pockets we don't have and I think they've left it pretty late to ask people to buy. Next year will be more organised unless they have a disaster in August. I also don't see an impressive lineup on the way given what EP & others will have snapped up and the limited funds they'll likely have due to their capacity. Happy to be proved wrong though as I'd like Reynolds to do well given what he's done for EP.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement