Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

deeks wrote: »
    I know this is the EP thread but I've just seen the Event licence application for All Together Now on twitter that was lodged with Waterford Council. There is an area on the plan called "Arcadia". If this is the same people that used be at EP but haven't been for the last number of years than its a huge coup. Sorely missed at EP.

That would be a coup alright, it was some spectacle.
    I think 2010 was the last year Arcadia was at the picnic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭rubick

If that Arcadia show is the same one that's at Glastonbury in recent years it's nothing short of incredible. Huge coup to get that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Does electric picnic actually care anymore?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Rfrip wrote: »

About what?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I’m just getting very disheartened about electric picnic with all that’s being announced knowing they won’t be at ep

Why couldn’t they have booked Arcadia. I know obviously it’s not as black and white as that but do they really care what they book anymore? They know it’s going to be a sell out regardless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

I’m just getting very disheartened about electric picnic with all that’s being announced knowing they won’t be at ep

Why couldn’t they have booked Arcadia. I know obviously it’s not as black and white as that but do they really care what they book anymore? They know it’s going to be a sell out regardless

I'd imagine it might have to do with possible links to John Reynolds. He sold 70% of the festival to FRD in 2009 which then led to the court battle.

The festival started taking a different route after that.

Picnic is what it is. 150 odd quid for a weekend with nothing else on that time of year. You always find a half-dozen things to see.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Arcadia would be nice though, was always fun back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,728 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Wooderson wrote: »
    About what?

I see his point to be fair. There are probably a number of issues different people have with different parts of the festival. Some are pissed off with how strict they are on bringing drinks in. Some are pissed off with the line ups.

For me, what pisses me off most is the 7 (nearly 8) month wait for the first set of announcements, and the manner in which they release the remaining bands over time. One of the reasons I go to the EP is that it forces me to listen to new bands and brush up on current music. What they do is hold on to the names of the bands, like an NRA member letting go of their gun, until the last f'n minute and this leaves me and others with very little time to get to know new bands and new music.

Just release the f'n names that are guaranteed already

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

rubick wrote: »
    If that Arcadia show is the same one that's at Glastonbury in recent years it's nothing short of incredible. Huge coup to get that.
    doubt they'd have the spider, it's probably the Afterburner thing as they had it at the first year of Metropolis festival.

6154906981_f0dcf023f4_b.jpg

afterburner-plan.jpg

afterburner-13-of-27.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I doubt they could afford the full Arcadia set up. It's huge these days the one at Glasto has around 25,000 capacity, way bigger than picnic in 2010. That mini version would probably be perfect though. When's the next announcement?

It was the Afterburner set-up at EPs past right enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

You will get Cocktail Cocktail and you will be happy with it... hmmph!

I too have grave issues with timing/culture behind their announcements. Considering those of us who bought family camping have our tickets since the week after the festival. It is a long wait. But the main thing that cheeses me off is the preposterous "event" they hold for Dublin blogtwats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

I too have grave issues with timing/culture behind their announcements. Considering those of us who bought family camping have our tickets since the week after the festival. It is a long wait. But the main thing that cheeses me off is the preposterous "event" they hold for Dublin blogtwats.

Event?

"Oh, they're just spinning the iTombola now. Tension mounting..."
    Sent from one of my seven iPads

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tonto123

Everyone's getting narky now, realistically probably another 2, 3 weeks and then the announcement about the announcement will be announced...... This waiting game is tough

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Event?

Theyve a launch event for tabloids/blogs ever year. Tonnes of money wasted. Utterly useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭showpony1

tonto123 wrote: »
    Everyone's getting narky now, realistically probably another 2, 3 weeks and then the announcement about the announcement will be announced...... This waiting game is tough

looking forward to phase 2 - "worst line-up ever" "selling my ticket done with EP" etc kicking off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

showpony1 wrote: »
    looking forward to phase 2 - "worst line-up ever" "selling my ticket done with EP" etc kicking off.

I almost don't care anymore now that ATN has come up trumps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

I almost don't care anymore now that ATN has come up trumps.

Yea ATN is really good backup option if ep lineup doesn’t suit

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Theyve a launch event for tabloids/blogs ever year. Tonnes of money wasted. Utterly useless.

Having attended this event over many years, I don't find it a waste.
    Always has nice drinks and vegetarian food, due to Melvin Benn being a vegetarian himself.

It's also how I knew Radiohead weren't going to play in 2016, as I was told the actual reasons.

Effects wrote: »
    Having attended this event over many years, I don't find it a waste.
    Always has nice drinks and vegetarian food, due to Melvin Benn being a vegetarian himself.

It's also how I knew Radiohead weren't going to play in 2016, as I was told the actual reasons.

Oh I'm sure you love it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Effects and his vegetarian food. Pffffft. And who wants actual reasons for Radiohead not playing? It's almost like you're willfully missing the point of this thread. Get with the programme, man. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Worst thing about EP, by a country mile, is the corporate areas blasting horrible music.

I can deal with the wait for bands etc, time of year, no problem. But that triangle of hell with Heineken, e-lites (?) and electric Ireland. Or whatever they were.

Bacardi gets a pass, that has a bit of an identity and knows what it is. But the rest. Makes that whole area almost unusable. Plenty of space wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

It totally drowns out Gerry Fish's tent too.

That there no *proper* craft beer on sale (I know there’s faux-craft) is indicative of the festival’s interest. By comparison End of the Road has a bar ran by Beavertown themselves. Despreh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,661 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

That there no *proper* craft beer on sale (I know there’s faux-craft) is indicative of the festival’s interest. By comparison End of the Road has a bar ran by Beavertown themselves. Despreh.

EOTR is qusrter the size of EP (14k) so more freedom to do such stuff. EP barely survived the turn of the decade so had to make some compromises, the contract allowing Heineken to be the sole beer provider being one (the early years had a tiny craft beer bar & an independent cider tent, both near where that pseudo craft beer bar is now).

And at least we have a choice of a few beers. Primavera and some other big fests are Heineken only.

EP could likely change the Heineken contract now but probably no will to do so. I'd love some better beer there but don't see it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    EOTR is qusrter the size of EP (14k) so more freedom to do such stuff. EP barely survived the turn of the decade so had to make some compromises, the contract allowing Heineken to be the sole beer provider being one (the early years had a tiny craft beer bar & an independent cider tent, both near where that pseudo craft beer bar is now).

And at least we have a choice of a few beers. Primavera and some other big fests are Heineken only.

EP could likely change the Heineken contract now but probably no will to do so. I'd love some better beer there but don't see it happening.

They stopped serving Guinness after the 2007 EP, Duffy on the main stage the following year was asking where the fecking Guinness was.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

They stopped serving Guinness after the 2007 EP, Duffy on the main stage the following year was asking where the fecking Guinness was.

It’s in the same place as her career

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement