Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭sweeneed

All of the talk of Kasabian and Noel Gallagher scares me! For some reason Kasabian are an act I really never took a liking to and Noel Gallagher only played two years ago. Was thinking on the drive home today of the amount of potential EP acts that have been taken up by other festivals/gigs in Ireland this summer...

In an alternative universe this would be my EP 2018 lineup but they are all playing other gigs in Ireland this summer unfortunately :( really feel like there will be slim pickings left to choose from but I hope for the best..

Gorillaz Nick Cave The National
    The War on Drugs Orbital Justice
    Caribou HAIM Future Islands Fleet Foxes The The The Jacksons
    Warpaint Fever Ray Bonobo Lykke Li Mogwai Eels
    !!! Fatima Yamaha Little Dragon Grizzly Bear A-ha Sampha
    Sugarhill Gang Tune Yards Black Madonna Honey Dijon Brockhampton Idles

Kasabian and noel gallagher are far better than any one of those acts above! both superb live

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

James Murphy/2ManyDJs are bringing Despacio to Sonar in June.
    slightly less of a long-shot that it might turn up at EP again, although still pretty unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

sweeneed wrote: »
    Kasabian and noel gallagher are far better than any one of those acts above! both superb live

Have seen both live and thoroughly enjoyed both but could totally understand the disappointment if Noel Gallagher was announced, simply because his last appearance was so recent. 2016, wasn't it?

Can't say I'm overly enamoured with Kasabian's last album or two but absolutely loved them when I saw them live a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭rubick

slightly less of a long-shot that it might turn up at EP again, although still pretty unlikely.
    Would love that. Just when you reckon it's time to call it quits on Sunday night, it's time for the perculator.
    It's time for the perculator.
    It's time for the perculator.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭rubick

Just reading that Goat will be in London at Citadel Festival, 15th July.
    Please let this be the year they play Stradbally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

They have Despacio and Thom Yorke now..... very tempting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

smileyp123 wrote: »
    One act that is 100% guaranteed to be play the main stage is Bastille. No Irish gig this year and playing most of the Festival Republic gigs so nailed on.

..... and the crowd goes wild :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

If we got despacio again I wouldn't care who else is on the line up. My picnic highlight of all time!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

John Grant announced as special guest for the national gig in June. Would have liked to have seen him again at ep

Would be delighted with despacio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

You've just made my day. Please God let them bring it to either EP or ATN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Never bothered my arse with Despacio when it was at EP. What am I missing, lads? A lot of ye with decent taste seem very attached. Is it not just James spinning a few discs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Never bothered my arse with Despacio when it was at EP. What am I missing, lads? A lot of ye with decent taste seem very attached. Is it not just James spinning a few discs?

James and the Dewaele brothers spinning mostly house/funk/disco tunes in a tent with the best sound system you'll ever see. For hours and hours on end. It's bloody fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭patch

Rfrip wrote: »
    John Grant announced as special guest for the national gig in June. Would have liked to have seen him again at ep

Would be delighted with despacio

I types despacio into Spotify earlier.
    And retreated quickly....wondering what kind of ****e ye are into.
    Now that I gave it a google I realise it’s a 2manydjs sound system! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Synode wrote: »
    James and the Dewaele brothers spinning mostly house/funk/disco tunes in a tent with the best sound system you'll ever see. For hours and hours on end. It's bloody fantastic.

What I loved about was if you had a spare hour between acts you could just pop in for a bit and pop back again after. It was relentless and it was brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

patch wrote: »
    ....wondering what kind of ****e ye are into.

all kinds, the best kinds...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

patch wrote: »
    I types despacio into Spotify earlier.
    And retreated quickly....wondering what kind of ****e ye are into.
    Now that I gave it a google I realise it’s a 2manydjs sound system! lol

Are you sure you didn't accidentally click on these guys.

This is the ones we are talking about.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭patch

Are you sure you didn't accidentally click on these guys.

It was even worse!
    https://g.co/kgs/E4ohYp

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mgkelly

8.5 million YouTube views cannot be wrong!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MiniFridgeMen

Stillill42 wrote: »

The soundsystem was built with the idea of removing the DJ as the focal point of the concert, James and the guys (very rightly imo) have decided to go against the now all to common trend of having everyone in the room facing a stage of some plonk doing his thing, Despacio soundsystem is designed in such a way thata no matter which way you are facing or where you are in the room the Sound Quality of the music is always perfect and by removing the DJ focal point element, people are left to interact with each other and enjoy themselves (terrifying prospect i know!)

I was really upset when it didn't return to EP because it was better than a million CocktailCocktail's and OrchardTheiveMotel's which are frankly, due to noisebleed, are ruining some of the other stages

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

The soundsystem was built with the idea of removing the DJ as the focal point of the concert, James and the guys (very rightly imo) have decided to go against the now all to common trend of having everyone in the room facing a stage of some plonk doing his thing, Despacio soundsystem is designed in such a way thata no matter which way you are facing or where you are in the room the Sound Quality of the music is always perfect and by removing the DJ focal point element, people are left to interact with each other and enjoy themselves (terrifying prospect i know!)

I was really upset when it didn't return to EP because it was better than a million CocktailCocktail's and OrchardTheiveMotel's which are frankly, due to noisebleed, are ruining some of the other stages

Yeah I am no audiophile but the sound is superb, excellent tune selection as well and they seem to perfectly build from early in the day to late at night with Balearic kind of tunes early on before going into more house/electronic stuff later on (here is a spotify playlist actually). Have been to it twice now, Electric Picnic and also went to it over in London about 3 or 4 years ago, my favourite thing is definitely that the DJ is "hidden" and it makes it more so about the dance floor experience as you said. Hate going to a DJ set and it feels like a competition to see who can get the closest to the DJ.

One of the signs in front of Murphy/2manyDJs was "Turn around, the parties behind you" or something along those lines :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MiniFridgeMen

Yeah I am no audiophile but the sound is superb, excellent tune selection as well and they seem to perfectly build from early in the day to late at night with Balearic kind of tunes early on before going into more house/electronic stuff later on (here is a spotify playlist actually). Have been to it twice now, Electric Picnic and also went to it over in London about 3 or 4 years ago, my favourite thing is definitely that the DJ is "hidden" and it makes it more so about the dance floor experience as you said. Hate going to a DJ set and it feels like a competition to see who can get the closest to the DJ.

One of the signs in front of Murphy/2manyDJs was "Turn around, the parties behind you" or something along those lines :D

Yeah I really would like to see this concept explode more and become a standard, considering there was a time when that's what clubs and dance music was all about, I think Despacio started in London? Or was it Manchester? Can't remember, I completely agree with the whole "competition" thing as you said, I've had some excellent gigs ruined for me by some eejit with a Camera Flash in my face for an hour while they Snapchat every moment of the gig, I don't really mind the recording too much (although like, c'mon and stop watching the gig through a screen) its really the flash that gets on my nerves

Enough ranting...

Headliner predictions to suit our current Armageddon scenario. I'll start the ball rolling with the Arctic Monkeys and Snow Patrol. Side bet on one of them to do a sneaky cover of 'It's the end of the world as we know it....'

The Blizzards. Come on lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Celtic Frost for a bit of metal, The Drifters for a bit of oap r'n'b and then Vanilla Ice for the comeback gig (hell has frozen over).

Icicle Works and Icehouse for other 80s goodness and finally to make everyone happy, the Avalanches finally play.

THERE, are ye happy now? Are you not entertained?

Celtic Frost for a bit of metal, The Drifters for a bit of oap r'n'b and then Vanilla Ice for the comeback gig (hell has frozen over).

Icicle Works and Icehouse for other 80s goodness and finally to make everyone happy, the Avalanches finally play.

THERE, are ye happy now? Are you not entertained?
    That's what I'm talking about, Scruff. As you were.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

sweeneed wrote: »

Christ you must listen to some turgid ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

And now we are into the final month of the announcement, it will be interesting to see what we will get, I presume some of the acts have been already booked since last year.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

caveat:
    /me drunk in Barcelona

I have a feeling that this will be least imaginative announcement ever.

Even the hardcore EP fans will say "I was hoping for more" or words to that effect. All the good acts are taken by one day shows or the tours are finished or they are stateside. ATN is already more interesting. Sadly, I cant see how this year can be exciting, can you?

I hope I am wrong. Please let it it he most unexpected lineup of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

caveat:
    /me drunk in Barcelona

Even the hardcore EP fans will say "I was hoping for more" or words to that effect. All the good acts are taken by one day shows or the tours are finished or they are stateside. ATN is already more interesting. Sadly, I cant see how this year can be exciting, can you?

Drunken Pablo and Roy has expert font colouring skills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,661 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

caveat:
    /me drunk in Barcelona

Here's hoping you're wrong. Some years are better than others but EP has never let me down in terms of having a dozen great acts over a weekend.

Major acts still available include Bjork, Kendrick Lamar, Radiohead, David Byrne, My Bloody Valentine, St. Vincent, Arcade Fire, Jeff Tweedy, John Cale, King Gizzard, Muse and many others.

I'd also expect a fair few decent Irish acts including Touts & Ash being bounced up to bigger slots as well as possible appearances from Christy Moore or The Gloaming.

Of course there are lots of mediocre outfits floating around in late August but I reckon we'll all have enough there to keep us satisfied.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement