Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,625 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

robbie02 wrote: »
    That is the worst line up ever, having 3 headline acts that are rap/hiphop is shocking. Not everyone likes Rap, 1 headline act ok, but two?, I can live with massive attack ok but its all very sub standard. they ve made a mess of this big time! they re isn't a decent rock band in there at all unless you like (G)arbage!:mad:

check out gang of youths

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭haitens

Dunno about that previous years Blur and Noel Gallagher added second announcement. Last year 1st round had the 3 down as headliners on specific days this one doesn't. Still I wouldn't be counting on it either way I'm happy so far

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭TheYardStick

Disappointed. Wanted a big rock band along the lines of Foo Fighters/Arctic Monkeys/Muse. I preferred the fake lineup from the fella with the friend ‘in the know’.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Paddy2012

kg703 wrote: »
    Mr.S wrote: »
    Oh really? I thought everyone was set on Arctic Monkeys!

The comments on Facebook under the announcement are gas.

I did think they would turn up to be fair. Would have preferred them to KL big time but RnB is not my thing anyway. They just played him on the radio and I think he would bore me to tears. Luckily, I'm sure someone awesome will be playing somewhere else at the same time!
    I've seen AM a few times and they've always been pretty solid but nothing spectacular so definitely prefer Kendrick Lamar over them to be honest, his recent tour priced me out but it's been getting some incredible reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭robbie02

sydthebeat wrote: »
    check out gang of youths

no sorry not my cup of tea, generic rock or pop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Relax folks, wait for Radiohead to be mentioned at the second announcement :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Hip hop usually not my thing but it'll be grand, once the weather holds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

kg703 wrote: »
    Loads of people had said NERD to be fair, I had hope they would turn up.

No chance of another headliner - those are three big ones. Maybe an 'elbow' type announcement

Or the Valentines?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Plague Maiden

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Massive Attack will be surprised to hear they have had their genre changed from electronic.:rolleyes:

Electronic is an already lazy term, made even lazier when applied to Massive Attack. They're absolutely steeped in hip hop, dub and soundsytem culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Reggie noble

Ah lads , that tosspot in festival republic spun me some dross yesterday evening . I had ice cubes death certificate blaring in the car to work this morning . Love old school rap but ive no interest in Kendrick , his ear for beats is cat , boring a few people have said , agree fully .

Meh announcement overall , not as bad as the first one last year for me though . I Ended up selling my tickets last year n went to rock werchter instead .

If I've to sell my tickets 2 years in a row after going to about 10 EPs I won't be stung buying my tickets in September again without knowing the lineup

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

It's a very rap/hip hop heavy headline. Unfortunately I personally couldn't give a toss about rap/hip hop for the most part so the headliners are really underwhelming for me. Massive Attack are decent...

I'll almost definitely be going again but I may not bother getting early bird tickets next year, might look at ATN or heading abroad to something like Rock Werchter instead

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Reggie noble

Bazzo wrote: »
    It's a very rap/hip hop heavy headline. Unfortunately I personally couldn't give a toss about rap/hip hop for the most part so the headliners are really underwhelming for me. Massive Attack are decent...

I'll almost definitely be going again but I may not bother getting early bird tickets next year, might look at ATN or heading abroad to something like Rock Werchter instead

Rock werchter lineups are unreal , they must spend some coin on them

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭haitens

Said it before no mention of these being headliners in the announcement

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I’m happy enough with that. Kendrick and Massive Attack will be good. There’s a few decent other names too, Benjamin Clementine, Jungle, Wolf Alice, Cigarettes After Sex etc. plus there’ll be some other good stuff in the next announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

It's a fairly solid line up... I think I predicted Massive attack months ago, thought they were a cert for last year but didn't happen.

Dua Lipa has an upcoming gig in the Olympia, it would have sold out ten times over. Wrong venue for he in my book, could have easily been the 3arena.
    The result of that is thousands of <25 year olds will swoop in, if you haven't got a ticket yet now is the time.. This will sell out immediately!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

On first glance I was dissappointed. I was secretly hoping that they would have some amazing curveball headliner playing. Failing that, I'd like one good festival anthems band for the sing alongs. Of the three headliners, Masstive Attack are the only one I know and like, but they don't seem like a festival band so not sure how they will work.

However, I don't really mind overly that I don't like the headliners because sound is better in the tents, there is more fun to be had wandering around and, perhaps crucially, guys like Kendrick Lamar and NERD will draw away the kids from other tents at crucial times. St Vincent headlining the electric arena while Kendrick Lamar was on the main stage would be phenomenal.

Outside of that, the lineup is good. St Vincent and Garbage are the only two that I know well, but King Krule, George Ezra, the Kooks, Wolf Alice, Chvrches, Cigarettes after sex, and Friendly Fires are all good bands that I'd like to see live, but probably wouldn't go to see them in dedicated gigs. Alexis Taylor as well, but I suspect this will just be a dj set rather than a hot chip scenario.

Some of the other gigs could be good too. Peggy Gou is talked about much, as are Mount Kimbie.

Overall there is enough to get me there. Would like to see a few good second announcement bands though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Ah I'm disappointed but can't say it's a crap line-up really, just not my cup of tea. Happy Chvches, Jungle, Massive Attack, Cigarettes After Sex, The Blaze, Peggy Gou and La Femme are in there and I'm sure there Will be more to come.

Kendrick Lamar is a huge booking and seems to be one of the most popular headliners they have had in recent years. Not much of an interest myself though. They are saying the three headliners have been announced on the radio so wouldn't be hoping for any bigger acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

Have people who bought tickets back in September received them yet? I am thinking my Postman nabbed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

mutley18 wrote: »
    Have people who bought tickets back in September received them yet? I am thinking my Postman nabbed them.
    I haven't got mine yet and I bought in Sept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

hope Nina Kraviz is headlining a tent and not lumped into the woods after hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Positive repartee concerning The Kooks placement on this bill should be met with an instantaneous ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

St Vincent headlining the electric arena while Kendrick Lamar was on the main stage would be phenomenal.

Please not. They are both effectively carrying this line up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

That is the worst line up ever, having 3 headline acts that are rap/hiphop is shocking. Not everyone likes Rap, 1 headline act ok, but two?, I can live with massive attack ok but its all very sub standard. they ve made a mess of this big time! they re isn't a decent rock band in there at all unless you like (G)arbage!:mad:
    It's these types of lads being pissed off that really is the icing on the cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MiniFridgeMen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

No mention of Body and Soul or other voices?

Have they been erased?

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭corm500

Every year I think, well at least the lineup will be better than last year, and every year it gets worse.
    Very surprised at this stage they haven't hooked up with the X-Factor Live tour for acts.
    If this is Ireland's premier music festival then God help us.
    I think the likes of ATN will end up taking that mantle over the next couple of years and EP will be put out of its misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

corm500 wrote: »
    Every year I think, well at least the lineup will be better than last year, and every year it gets worse.
    Very surprised at this stage they haven't hooked up with the X-Factor Live tour for acts.
    If this is Ireland's premier music festival then God help us.
    I think the likes of ATN will end up taking that mantle over the next couple of years and EP will be put out of its misery.
    Yes give us your tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Robbie, Facebook is in a different tab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MiniFridgeMen

I would like to see some sort of Heritage headline, like Chaka and Duran from last year (still holding out for Jimmy Somerville) and a Dance act for headliners

Delighted with Massive Attack- but for me they fit more that Portished-ie "alternative" vibe (****e description, but you get me)

Need a Dance act to take on the FatboySlim/Underworld/Chem.Bro slot from recent years

With those two needs filled i'd be happy, everything else suits me anyway, Happy with Kendrick/MA and NERD, Happy with the smaller acts, Peggy Gou is fantastic, Ben Clem & Tom Misch are also very good

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement