Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭corm500

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Yes give us your tears.

You got your ticket yet? or are you waiting till Justin Bieber gets added?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

corm500 wrote: »
    You got your ticket yet? or are you waiting till Justin Bieber gets added?

Ooooooh! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Nugget89

Kendrick is on two tracks on NERDs latest album. Any chance he'd join them on stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Nugget89 wrote: »
    Kendrick is on two tracks on NERDs latest album. Any chance he'd join them on stage?

I'd imagine they're headlining seperate days.

Although no days as far as I know have been assigned to the headliners, So could be the case that NERD and KENDRICK are co headliners on one day and a further announcement is a new Headliner?

Theory people!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Nugget89

I'd imagine they're headlining seperate days.

Although no days as far as I know have been assigned to the headliners, So could be the case that NERD and KENDRICK are co headliners on one day and a further announcement is a new Headliner?

Theory people!

Radiohead for Sunday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

Hopefully young fathers get added, might get up with Massive Attack :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,733 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Nugget89 wrote: »
    Radiohead for Sunday!

Us on the way down

tumblr_neadw7dvir1qzd6kwo1_250.gif

Us on the way home

87ab7997-fe53-434d-870a-56911ab1401a.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Mr.S wrote: »
    I think it’s kind of funny watching the comments on Facebook on the EP page - people saying it’s the worst lineup and they’re going to sell tickets.

there’s still so much to come, jeez

Every year its the same. Even this thread you could copy and paste lineup opinions from each year and they would be the same.

That lineup is dreadful though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Massive Attack best headliner in a while I've seen. Still rest is pretty muck

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

I think it’s kind of funny watching the comments on Facebook on the EP page - people saying it’s the worst lineup and they’re going to sell tickets.

More troubling are the many comments along the lines of "cans by the tent it is"

I don't get these people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Kendrick appears to be a coup for the festival. Nice bit of hype in the lead up. The rest of this announcement is a let down as per most people's expectation. How could it not be with the ultra-competitive live show schedule this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BananaR

there’s still so much to come, jeez

Experience has taught me otherwise - if you cant even find minimum 5-6 acts you really WANT to see on 1st announcement, you're at nothing holding out for later ones. I'll Def be cutting my losses on this one. I find it amazing that people paying full whack for these tickets would think that's a decent calibre line-up for their money. Someone mentioned rock Werchter - where LCD don't even make it onto the 1st tier of lineup on day they play. It's a smaller festival site than EP. Too much filler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

maximoose wrote: »
    More troubling are the many comments along the lines of "cans by the tent it is"

Each to their own and all, but i don't get how some people can spend 240 on a ticket and then sit outside their tent for the full weekend and not see a single band.

I can do that at home any day of the week. :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

When are Pogueology going to be announced for the main stage, surely that wont collapse??? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭fourmations

Each to their own and all, but i don't get how some people can spend 240 on a ticket and then sit outside their tent for the full weekend and not see a single band.

must be a good buzz in your garden! ;)

Lots of folks just go for the sesh and fair enough if thats what they want to do
    personally i never see half the acts i earmark due to going with a big group
    and the logistics of it all, its about escaping the rat-race for lots of folks and there are a lot of people who are not really into the music but still go for the craic, most of my group are all "radio-heads" and they will be in the "god the line-up is ****e" fraternity but they'll still go and have a blast, the whole vibe of fun and freedom is well worth 240!

I agree - and I think it's part of the reason festivals are screwing us on the line-up for the money paid. The "ah sure it'll be a great weekend anyway" mentality ensures they continue to sell their tickets and leaves more discerning music fans scratching their heads if they haven't already jumped ship to European festivals years ago. Notwithstanding differences in personal taste

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭thebusher

I realise at my age Im not the target market but that lineup for me is depressing.

What it does mean is a lot of time at Trailer Park and Salty Dog for me and Im not complaining on that front.

Anyone point me to the good guitar/indie/folky stuff from that list please and thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Stillill42

BananaR wrote: »
    Experience has taught me otherwise - if you cant even find minimum 5-6 acts you really WANT to see on 1st announcement, you're at nothing holding out for later ones. I'll Def be cutting my losses on this one. I find it amazing that people paying full whack for these tickets would think that's a decent calibre line-up for their money. Someone mentioned rock Werchter - where LCD don't even make it onto the 1st tier of lineup on day they play. It's a smaller festival site than EP. Too much filler.

Well that's the perennial conversation, isn't it?. I wasn't happy at all with last years announcement, dove into the mid to low tier acts, found stuff I loved, visited every stage, saw more music last year than I ever had before. 169 for the 3 days I had last year is a steal. I'm writing nothing off till I've done my homework.

Buying your tickets blind implies some level of trust in the organisers. People have no real comeback if they've forked out that amount of cash without any idea of the line-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,733 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I agree - and I think it's part of the reason festivals are screwing us on the line-up for the money paid. The "ah sure it'll be a great weekend anyway" mentality ensures they continue to sell their tickets and leaves more discerning music fans scratching their heads if they haven't already jumped ship to European festivals years ago. Notwithstanding differences in personal taste

I think you have a point, but at the same time, the vast majority do not even try to scratch beyond the surface of the main headliners and explore new music.

They should just get a spotify playlist together, give it a listen a couple of times and I would be very much surprised if they don't find between 5 and 10 bands worth watching. i.e. - do your homework*

*hint that Daft Punk will definitely be announced later :D

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Well that's the perennial conversation, isn't it?. I wasn't happy at all with last years announcement, dove into the mid to low tier acts, found stuff I loved, visited every stage, saw more music last year than I ever had before. 169 for the 3 days I had last year is a steal. I'm writing nothing off till I've done my homework.

Buying your tickets blind implies some level of trust in the organisers. People have no real comeback if they've forked out that amount of cash without any idea of the line-up.

Completely accept that. But when even the mid to lower tier starts to disappoint...I guess what I'm saying is, I actually don't have that level of trust anymore. Trust that there's something in this festival for me, that is. Good luck to everyone else!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Rock Werchter is a bigger festival than EP and covers roughly 4 days worth of music, you're right in the sense where the likes of LCD would not even be high up on that list. The types of acts they have had over the years is amazing,likes of Pearl Jam, Metallica,Radiohead, Paul McCartney, Prodigy comes to mind. That is down to the hard bucks that promoters are willing to pay and the sad fact is, in this country, no promoter will pay out for such a lineup/type of festival.

IMO I would love to see a Rock Werchter or NOS type festival in this country but it aint going to happen .......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

The people puzzled by Tribe & Duran Duran last year seem to be very giddy about this lineup.

That is down to the hard bucks that promoters are willing to pay and the sad fact is, in this country, no promoter will pay out for such a lineup/type of festival.

IMO I would love to see a Rock Werchter or NOS type festival in this country but it aint going to happen .......

That's exactly what I am questioning - why won't they? Surely it's the behaviour of accepting punters that drives this? I honestly think we accept less. If festivals were struggling to sell tickets do you honestly think they wouldn't try harder??
    I love a festival as much as they next person but when it becomes a field day for a nation of event junkies, the only people laughing are the promoters.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

There's an awful lot there to like, I think. Acts that I'll certainly be going to.

Kendrick
    Ben Howard
    CHVRCHES
    Jungle
    Nina Kraviz
    Mount Kimbiie
    Tom Misch
    Dermot Kennedy
    Peggy Gou
    La Femme

Have a few acts I know little about there too, so looking forward to doing some research.

It was only with the announcement last year that I discovered Kiasmos, who have since become a favourite. Hopefully similar will happen again.

Rock Werchter is a bigger festival than EP and covers roughly 4 days worth of music, you're right in the sense where the likes of LCD would not even be high up on that list. The types of acts they have had over the years is amazing,likes of Pearl Jam, Metallica,Radiohead, Paul McCartney, Prodigy comes to mind. That is down to the hard bucks that promoters are willing to pay and the sad fact is, in this country, no promoter will pay out for such a lineup/type of festival.

I'm advised that RW site-wise is not any bigger than EP , with roughly 1 stage and 2-3 tents. Granted 4 days of music makes it bigger in terms of volume of acts - anyway was just using it as an example. You could use any number of other festivals as example and cone of the same conclusions I think

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Ah I'm disappointed but can't say it's a crap line-up really, just not my cup of tea. Happy Chvches, Jungle, Massive Attack, Cigarettes After Sex, The Blaze, Peggy Gou and La Femme are in there and I'm sure there Will be more to come.

Kendrick Lamar is a huge booking and seems to be one of the most popular headliners they have had in recent years. Not much of an interest myself though. They are saying the three headliners have been announced on the radio so wouldn't be hoping for any bigger acts.

I think you might like Tom Misch. See your posts on these threads all the time, and I think it might be similar to some of the acts above too, although he can vary in style from track to track.

(apologies if I'm very wrong :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,819 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

maximoose wrote: »

They're probably from Longford, Westmeath or Cavan.

Sitting outside a tent in the pissing rain drinking warm beer is still a better option than being in Longford, Westmeath or Cavan for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Paddy2012

thebusher wrote: »
    I realise at my age Im not the target market but that lineup for me is depressing.

What it does mean is a lot of time at Trailer Park and Salty Dog for me and Im not complaining on that front.

Anyone point me to the good guitar/indie/folky stuff from that list please and thanks.
    There's not really an awful lot there at the moment but St Vincent (who you probably already know), Cigarettes After Sex (who are great but more slow tempo) and King Krule (kind of like avant garde Billy Bragg) might interest you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Paddy2012 wrote: »
    Cigarettes After Sex (who are great but more slow tempo)

I quite like them, but can't imagine them being anything other than a buzzkill at a festival.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

thebusher wrote: »

Guitar based bands are not in fashion. Wolf Alice are very good though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement