Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Paddy2012

maximoose wrote: »
    Paddy2012 wrote: »
    Cigarettes After Sex (who are great but more slow tempo)

I quite like them, but can't imagine them being anything other than a buzzkill at a festival.
    Yeah I've heard mixed things about them live but I think they could be great in somewhere like Rankin Woods

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

BananaR wrote: »
    That's exactly what I am questioning - why won't they? Surely it's the behaviour of accepting punters that drives this? I honestly think we accept less. If festivals were struggling to sell tickets do you honestly think they wouldn't try harder??
    I love a festival as much as they next person but when it becomes a field day for a nation of event junkies, the only people laughing are the promoters.

Good post, I guess it comes down to a marketing and the economies of scale point of view I guess. If a promoter came along and said that a RW type of festival would be available but you would have to pay maybe €300, I could be tempted. Theres so many possibilities as to why there is'nt that type of festival available, could be logistical, touring schedules, lack of serious promotion or hard cash to cough up to organise, but there are punters out (me included)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 nestegg

Anyone point me to the good guitar/indie/folky stuff from that list please and thanks
    Lucy Dacus, Gang of Youths.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭thebusher

Great shout on Gang of Youths. Lucy Dacus will be a grower too

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭declanleo

there's a whole lot of meh going on with that announcment

Always is for somebody

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

how long before tickets sell out I wonder.... very slow compared to last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MiniFridgeMen

I've already made up a playlist on Spotify and am enjoying those from the lineup that I didn't already know..I put the link a few pages back but ill post again - https://open.spotify.com/user/shogannn/playlist/2Ufcyw1xhwlVaoxX2FljGV?si=-puHrX5tQtG2z3dROfHC2A

We find ourselves here every year, when first lineup comes, everyone has a good oul moan, last year, a complete random I've never heard of "Mr.Jukes" has now become one of my favorite artists ever, I think EP has always been about discovery of new acts, with a little bit of current and a some heritage as well

I will say that over the past maybe two or three years, the lineups have been getting very Rap heavy, not that I don't like Rap, but it's starting to dominate the lineup and I feel it should try be balanced with some other Genres (2nd/3rd announcements probably gonna cover this)

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭PinkCamper

I’m actually surprised at the fb moaning. I would have thought it was a very appealing lineup to the young folk. All the negative comments must be from the not-quite-but-nearly-middle-age folk like myself.

I’m kind of middling happy. Delighted with Massive Attack, Chvrches... will pop along to see St Vincent and I have fond memories of sunset pints with George Ezra in 2015. I’m not blown away though. I guess harbouring secret hopes for Depeche Mode was always gonna cause me grief. I have literally zero interest in any of the rap / hip hop offerings. I’d like to see a heritage act or two of decent calibre added. It’s only the first announcement though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

they're right though, from a general punter viewpoint

They don't book people who started making music 2 weeks ago as headliners for some reason.

I'd say the reasons sales are slower this year are 1) Longitude have hoovered up the Leaving certs
    2) Tribe and Duran Duran made people wary of buying before the lineups out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,028 ✭✭✭endainoz

I have a bit of a softspot N.E.R.D. Their fly or die album came out when I was in secondary school and 'she wants to move' was a bit of a leaving cert anthem for us.

Saw the band themselves way back at Oxegen 2004, from what I remember they were quite good.

But disappointed with no Vampire Weekend but still think they will be added at some point, over all need to do some research as usual. But it'll fill out and will have something for everyone, it always does!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

Still holding out for the prodigy in 2nd announcement

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

endainoz wrote: »
    I have a bit of a softspot N.E.R.D.

Saw the band themselves way back at Oxegen 2004, from what I remember they were quite good.

Yep, I remember that day and thought they were great live. I probably haven't listened to them since though tbh should give the new album a listen I suppose.

George Ezra and the Kooks are baffling me a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

endainoz wrote: »
    I have a bit of a softspot N.E.R.D. Their fly or die album came out when I was in secondary school and 'she wants to move' was a bit of a leaving cert anthem for us.

But disappointed with no Vampire Weekend but still think they will be added at some point, over all need to do some research as usual. But it'll fill out and will have something for everyone, it always does!!

Unfortunately I think vw are too big to be a later addition. They’d surely be a headliner for EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Well, I'm happy enough with that line up for starters. I do think that the sub headliners, are light and i wouldnt be surprised to see one more fairly heavy hitter added. Although, unfortunately i think we are talking more along the lines of Snow Patrol rather than Arctic Monkeys or Muse. Half a dozen acts i was excited about on announcement and already discovered 3 new jewels today.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

sake. If people want to discuss FB posts take it somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Very happy with that, Massive Attack and NERD will have me at the main stage, but there’s a lot of other acts that I’ll be off to see, Wolf Alice, Chvchres, Garbage and Sigird will be getting the green highlighter, 6 acts from the first announcement is a decent return for me.
    St. Vincent will probably get a look as well.

Not sure why there's all this "it's only for the kids now" nonsense. Who exactly is that? Not Kendrick anyway, being one of if not the most critically acclaimed rapper in the world at the moment. Not NERD, who last played Ireland in 04, around the same time they last had a radio hit. Not Massive, whose act is older than 75% of festival goers now. Are they literally basing it entirely off Dua Lipa and Sigrid?

Also can't see the "there's too much hiphop" argument as anything other than lads who recognise Kendrick and NERD (who aren't even really primarily hip-hop, considering the wide variety of influences their albums take in) and nothing else on the lineup. There's still more indie and rock than there is hip-hop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Ah now.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭corm500

It kind of reminds me of the last year of oxegen when it went all teen friendly with the lineup . Ep have obviously decided that’s the audience they want. Good luck to them. Those of us that want a real music festival will have to look to the uk or the continent

Salty salty salty tears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

corm500 wrote: »
    a real music festival

What does that nonsense even mean? Guitar based only? :rolleyes:

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Salty salty salty tears.

You are just happy that the ep has finally turned into the chart friendly pop fest you always hoped for :D

What does that nonsense even mean? Guitar based only? :rolleyes:

Pretty much. Noel Gallagher, Kasabian, anything that's famous via Fifa or you can glass a geezer to.

You are just happy that the ep has finally turned into the chart friendly pop fest you always hoped for :D

Yup, Massive Attack bring the teens in the hotpants alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MiniFridgeMen

Also can't see the "there's too much hiphop" argument as anything other than lads who recognise Kendrick and NERD (who aren't even really primarily hip-hop, considering the wide variety of influences their albums take in) and nothing else on the lineup. There's still more indie and rock than there is hip-hop.

There is also Scarlxrd,Tom Tripp,Jorja Smith, Stefflon Don, Yxng Bane and King Krule, all great artists in their own right, maybe not even so much hiphop, but within that vein, I would like to see more of a balance between acts

or maybe i'm just bitter cause there isn't as much Disco or Hard Techno as i'd prefer, still plenty of time with Casa Bacardi, Transmission and Anachronica to fix that though

Pretty much. Noel Gallagher, Kasabian, anything that's famous via Fifa or you can glass a geezer to.

Nope, nope, nope and nope. You X-Factor wannabes think that’s all us oldies like. For the record I have seen Massive Attack and Nerd before, enjoyed them both, but keep it for Longitude. Most major festivals in this country are filled with dance/electronics and rap. Let the ep be diverse. Music should be formed in bedrooms and garages, not by a committee in a boardroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,028 ✭✭✭endainoz

waterfordwhispersnews.com/2018/03/15/guy-who-always-complains-about-ep-line-up-confirmed-for-ep/?utm_source=WWN_Facebook_Page&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=Social_Link&utm_content=Article

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tonto123

Right deep breaths .... I do not know one Kendrick lemar song so I'm not crazy bout him being a headliner... But No kids I mean none know massive attack or nerd so how are people saying its a teenage lineup. Jus because of dua lips and Kendrick?? Guys there's over 1000 acts at the picnic last year. 7 or 8 stages .. You are not forced to listen to any of the music... While dua lipa and Kendrick are playing pick one of the other 7 stages to go to.... Listen its not the line up I was hoping for either but no one forced me too buy a ticket before I knew the line up that..... Plus there will be more announcements , noel Gallagher and big acts like that weren't announced before until the 2nd or 3rd announcement... And yes I was a nerd fan back in the day had the first two albums but I totally agree they shouldn't be headlining and might not yet be, there will be loads more guitar and dance acts added

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Nope, nope, nope and nope. You X-Factor wannabes think that’s all us oldies like. For the record I have seen Massive Attack and Nerd before, enjoyed them both, but keep it for Longitude. Most major festivals in this country are filled with dance/electronics and rap. Let the ep be diverse. Music should be formed in bedrooms and garages, not by a committee in a boardroom.

It is diverse! There’s DJs, rock bands, indie, hip hop and electronic stuff already and it’s just the first fcuking announcement. We’ve got nothing from Other Voices, Salty Dog, Trailer Park, Trenchtown, Anarchronica, Body and Soul etc which will add reggae, blues, folk, country plus more acts similar to what we’ve already got. Not to mention all the stuff in the mindfield. How much more diverse do you want???? I’ve no idea what your last sentence even means.

• Advertisement

tonto123 wrote: »
    Right deep breaths .... I do not know one Kendrick lemar song so I'm not crazy bout him being a headliner... But No kids I mean none know massive attack or nerd so how are people saying its a teenage lineup. Jus because of dua lips and Kendrick?? Guys there's over 1000 acts at the picnic last year. 7 or 8 stages .. You are not forced to listen to any of the music... While dua lipa and Kendrick are playing pick one of the other 7 stages to go to.... Listen its not the line up I was hoping for either but no one forced me too buy a ticket before I knew the line up that..... Plus there will be more announcements , noel Gallagher and big acts like that weren't announced before until the 2nd or 3rd announcement... And yes I was a nerd fan back in the day had the first two albums but I totally agree they shouldn't be headlining and might not yet be, there will be loads more guitar and dance acts added

Tonto123, you speak sense. Let us hope though that they have not spent all of the moolah on Kendrick etc, and that there is enough depth to the lineup for those of us that wish to hear something different.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement