Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Stillill42

corm500 wrote: »
    BadTurtle wrote: »
    Pretty much. Noel Gallagher, Kasabian, anything that's famous via Fifa or you can glass a geezer to.

Nope, nope, nope and nope. You X-Factor wannabes think that’s all us oldies like. For the record I have seen Massive Attack and Nerd before, enjoyed them both, but keep it for Longitude. Most major festivals in this country are filled with dance/electronics and rap. Let the ep be diverse. Music should be formed in bedrooms and garages, not by a committee in a boardroom.
    I'm a bit bemused by your posts, buddy. You're possibly on a wind-up. Either that or you've never been to EP. I'm no apologist for the organisers and God knows there's things all of us on here would change but 'let the EP be diverse'? The range of acts on every year is mental. As has been said a hundred times , there are a hundred plus acts still to be announced and they will span the whole spectrum of genres. Everyone has their wishlist and we're all disappointed when they don't appear but save the doomsday nonsense for August when you've had a proper look through things. Open your mind a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Talking to a lad in the know there , this the lineup tomorrow

Arctic monkeys
    Muse
    Bloc party
    Chromeo
    The streets
    Miiike snow
    Chvrches
    Schoolboy Q
    Ice cube
    Hudson Mohawk
    Rustie
    Vitalic
    Vampire weekend

As the great Meat Loaf once sang, 1 out of 13 ain't bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

I wasn't sure about this year but I think I'll give it a miss and head to All Together Now. Hopefully I'll be back next year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I reckon we still have 2 or 3 sub-headliners to come. Is there any acts on the poster who are big enough to sub headline the main stage? I don't think there is and in previous years the second announcement is when we got Elbow, Phoenix, The 1975, Noel Gallagher, Blur and Sam Smith who were all acts who at least sub headlined. As another poster pointed out, usually there are around 5 or 6 acts in special font up the top of the poster, so far we only have 3 so I'd say we still have at least two big acts to come (although probably not headliners).

There is a lack of a big guitar band near the top of the poster (for the first year ever probably?), also no "retro" act or not really any big dance/electronic act. So I would hope whoever is to come ticks some of those boxes anyway. It can be fleshed out more in the next announcements as I'm sure it will be but based on what has been announced so far, I think the lineups for All Together Now and Forbidden Fruit are better.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 dansan7

I've been using these threads the last 5-6 years for rumours and such. Had to finally set up an account and post something. The absolute entertainment I've gotten here has been fantastic. I think someone could do a PhD on EP Post Announcement Syndrome. You have three main categories.

1. IT'S THE WORST EVER (Aka All Caps Alan). Primary argument posits that the music announced is for babies or worse WOMEN who use tan. Because as we all know, using fake tan and liking chart music makes you inherently inferior.

2. Defensive Derek. Derek argues that actually this is perfect, and if you had a more discerning palate then you'd appreciate it. Secretly worried that All Caps Alan might be right but needs to justify his expenditure.

3. Neutral Nancy. Could be better, could be worse. Likes some music listed, not others. Nancy doesn't like confrontation and keeps their love of Radio Friendly Band under wraps for fear of social isolation.

In fairness there's no right or wrong way to react. Obviously you are equally entitled to be delighted or disgusted and ultimately your wallet will decide if any music festival will continue to be successful. But I will say that the Irish tendency has been overwhelmingly negative for years. Or the negative has just been more vocal. I think there is no collection of acts that will 'work'. Since 2014 in particular each year has failed some section of music junkies. It's either the horror of seeing Lana Del Rey in the lineup, the disgust at no rock band, too much rap etc.

For my money I've been happy every time I've been and while I have my preferences I've always had way too many acts to fit them all in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭blueberrypie

Great post DANSAN7!

LMFAO
    I'm a Neutral Nancy!!

Secretly delighted Dua Lipa is there! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

I've seen Dua Lipa live, she's a lab grown stage school Britney clone. Ditto that Sigrid thing.

They are not EP material.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,028 ✭✭✭endainoz

Folks there's a lad on Twitter called Johnny McSmrt. He's even went out of his was to tell NERD how bad they are. Hilarious stuff, his one follower must be his mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

The best thing about this lineup, the amount of teenagers that’ll be around to kick.

dansan7 wrote: »
    I've been using these threads the last 5-6 years for rumours and such. Had to finally set up an account and post something. The absolute entertainment I've gotten here has been fantastic. I think someone could do a PhD on EP Post Announcement Syndrome. You have three main categories.

1. IT'S THE WORST EVER (Aka All Caps Alan). Primary argument posits that the music announced is for babies or worse WOMEN who use tan. Because as we all know, using fake tan and liking chart music makes you inherently inferior.

2. Defensive Derek. Derek argues that actually this is perfect, and if you had a more discerning palate then you'd appreciate it. Secretly worried that All Caps Alan might be right but needs to justify his expenditure.

3. Neutral Nancy. Could be better, could be worse. Likes some music listed, not others. Nancy doesn't like confrontation and keeps their love of Radio Friendly Band under wraps for fear of social isolation.

In fairness there's no right or wrong way to react. Obviously you are equally entitled to be delighted or disgusted and ultimately your wallet will decide if any music festival will continue to be successful. But I will say that the Irish tendency has been overwhelmingly negative for years. Or the negative has just been more vocal. I think there is no collection of acts that will 'work'. Since 2014 in particular each year has failed some section of music junkies. It's either the horror of seeing Lana Del Rey in the lineup, the disgust at no rock band, too much rap etc.

For my money I've been happy every time I've been and while I have my preferences I've always had way too many acts to fit them all in!

Very good, Dan. I myself am a Neutral Nancy. I feel you are dramatically underselling this thread when it comes to the possibilities for further education. I feel if we were in America, reactions to all things Picnic would at this stage be a degree course in a minor mid-west university and Scruff and BD gainfully employed as visiting Professors.
    In fairness, negativity is what the internet does best these days. It always turns out well for the 50000 odd that show up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

Where is a Mr. David Byrne

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

He’s burning down a house.

I’m sorry, I’ll go.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,733 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Poorside wrote: »
    The best thing about this lineup, the amount of teenagers that’ll be around to kick.

That's kicking talk!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,733 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

He’s burning down a house.

I’m sorry, I’ll go.

The road to nowhere is that a way
    >

everlast75 wrote: »
    That's kicking talk!

Fair play lads. I'll get me Smiths T-shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 dansan7

Thanks Stillill! People can of course be upset but for a percentage of people its often a case of smug. I am so smart because I don't like things. Now I'd apply that to everything, not just music or EP threads. In real life how many conversations do you start with your friends, 'You know whats ****..'. Generally focussing on stuff you like makes for a happier time.

As for Boards Academia, its only a matter of time. Some thesis ideas:

"Schrodinger's Radiohead: Until you check the lineup they both are and are not attending"

"'Daft Punks':" Cogitative Dissonance for the mentally ill or childlike optimism?"

"Headliner? Headliner!?! Hea...head...liner?: The mental gymnastics of arguing over a time slot and bold font"

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭eplady2017

Nialler9 article saying (http://nialler9.com/electric-picnic-2018/)

"So far, the festival has confirmed that Red Bull, Three, Heineken, Bacardi, Electric Ireland and Just Eat area are back. No word on Body & Soul or other Voices yet but Mindfield, Trailer Park, Salty Dog, Jerry Fish Sideshow, Trenchtown, Comedy, Theatre of Food, Hazel Wood, Anachronica, Transmission and Global Green will return."

No Body and Soul would be a major loss.. Deal breaker for me.. Hope he's wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭declanleo

Us tour

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Davysulls86

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Not sure why there's all this "it's only for the kids now" nonsense. Who exactly is that? Not Kendrick anyway, being one of if not the most critically acclaimed rapper in the world at the moment. Not NERD, who last played Ireland in 04, around the same time they last had a radio hit. Not Massive, whose act is older than 75% of festival goers now. Are they literally basing it entirely off Dua Lipa and Sigrid?

Also can't see the "there's too much hiphop" argument as anything other than lads who recognise Kendrick and NERD (who aren't even really primarily hip-hop, considering the wide variety of influences their albums take in) and nothing else on the lineup. There's still more indie and rock than there is hip-hop.

I stole this to win an argument on Facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭recyclebin

That line up for Rock Werchter looks amazing. Like the Witness/Oxegen of old when it was still good. 4 day ticket for only 238euro too.

https://www.ticketmaster.be/feature/rockwerchter/?language=en-us

It really does look like we are getting mugged with Electric Picnic lineup in comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭LowOdour

While not blown away by it all, definitely enough there to look forward to. Kendrick, St.Vincent, Friendly Fires, Ben Clementine.
    But my favorite part is discover new music I may have otherwise been off my radar.

In terms of indie/guitar bands, it definitely lacks the initial lineup last year where we got Paraquet Courts, Car seat headrest,Interpol,Japandroida, Fr.John Misty etc.. hopefully we get a similar fill in the next announcement.

Going to do a nice long playlist this evening of many that is on the bill...no doubt my new favorite band is in there somewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

No body and soul would be a huge loss. I wouldn't go.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

tonto123 wrote: »
    Right deep breaths .... I do not know one Kendrick lemar song so I'm not crazy bout him being a headliner... But No kids I mean none know massive attack or nerd so how are people saying its a teenage lineup. Jus because of dua lips and Kendrick?? Guys there's over 1000 acts at the picnic last year.

I'm over 35 and Kendrick is the only thing on the line up i'd love to see. Few other bits and pieces but not much

Delighted he's not in a field in Laois in September! Hoping for another NCH later in the year.

The RW festival line up for me is worse than EP. But i do know that there are loads of festivals out there and if i want i can go to one and not complain about another.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BananaR

dansan7 wrote: »
    Thanks Stillill! People can of course be upset but for a percentage of people its often a case of smug. I am so smart because I don't like things. Now I'd apply that to everything, not just music or EP threads. In real life how many conversations do you start with your friends, 'You know whats ****..'. Generally focussing on stuff you like makes for a happier time.

As for Boards Academia, its only a matter of time. Some thesis ideas:

"Schrodinger's Radiohead: Until you check the lineup they both are and are not attending"

"'Daft Punks':" Cogitative Dissonance for the mentally ill or childlike optimism?"

"Headliner? Headliner!?! Hea...head...liner?: The mental gymnastics of arguing over a time slot and bold font"

How about - EP & the post-colonial Irish psyche - how we devalue ourselves through our acceptance of pure ****e festival line-ups. ....

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Davysulls86

Overall pleased with the line up. Have a flight tomorrow so playlist is ready to go for some research.

Looking forward to Massive Attack and N.E.R.D. Chvchres I've seen before, and enjoyed. Am enjoying Dermot Kennedy's stuff on Spotify at the moment. Ben Howard is class. Not a fan of Dua Lipa, but she's pretty nice to look at, so I won't complain if the Mrs drags me along.
    I don't know much about Kendrick Lamar, but as long as he's not clashing with anyone major yet to be announced, Ill check him out, he's supposed to be an amazing performer.

BananaR wrote: »
    How about - EP & the post-colonial Irish psyche - how we devalue ourselves through our acceptance of pure ****e festival line-ups. ....
    I feel if we could all sit down around the fire in Body and Soul for half an hour and discuss it all over a couple of cans, we could find a middle ground.

I see what I've done there. Classic neutral Nancy behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Paddy2012

recyclebin wrote: »
    That line up for Rock Werchter looks amazing. Like the Witness/Oxegen of old when it was still good. 4 day ticket for only 238euro too.

It really does look like we are getting mugged with Electric Picnic lineup in comparison.
    You have a point with regards to the ticket price/value for money I suppose but I'm still pleasantly surprised with the initial announcement and would probably prefer Kendrick over any of those headliners (I've seen most of them a few times already).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

recyclebin wrote: »

That’s a cracking lineup there , forgot about Nine Inch Nails touring as well,although they’ll be finishing up a tour in Japan in mid August,so not a hope in hell,pity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Peterd66

It is mentioned in the press release so I'd say it's there alright. No idea why it wouldn't be included in the poster, though.

Presser:

referring to B&S

From further back.:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement