Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

D.Q wrote: »
    No body and soul would be a huge loss. I wouldn't go.

If BnS area was in doubt would they be still listed on the main website? (not being smart, genuine question! It could be imcompetence, or the nialler9 thing could be someone stirring?)

Body&Soul on EP18 site

• Registered Users Posts: 5,028 ✭✭✭endainoz

A lot of festivals on the continent are subsidised by the countrys government too, more money to spend on acts and cheaper tickets for punters. It's been this way for a long time. I'm not sure if a big festival like the picnic gets subsidies like smaller festivals in Ireland do but the big European ones do.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭declanleo

Paddy2012 wrote: »
    You have a point with regards to the ticket price/value for money I suppose but I'm still pleasantly surprised with the initial announcement and would probably prefer Kendrick over any of those headliners (I've seen most of them a few times already).

Check out loolapalooza in paris

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Body & Soul are the Back & Sack to the EPs Crack, they have to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

endainoz wrote: »
    A lot of festivals on the continent are subsidised by the countrys government too, more money to spend on acts and cheaper tickets for punters. It's been this way for a long time. I'm not sure if a big festival like the picnic gets subsidies like smaller festivals in Ireland do but the big European ones do.

Good post, along with the subsidies , a lot of the festivals are heavily sponsored even by some big hitters. Initial line up for EP is'nt a patch on RW but as I mentioned in an earlier post, there is'nt enough dough to be cough up by promoters to get that level of a lineup that RW has, so deal with it!!!!!!!

Unless a promoter has enough dosh to splash out on those acts,a RW type of festival aint going to happen in this country. (even though I would love to see a similar type of festival)

My only concern for EP is going forward and as to what angle or sector they will be aiming at, especially since the "All Together Now" festival has been launched

Does the EP lineup mean I wont go??, of course not, i will head, in fact for the last 2 years, I've practically been living out of The Jerry Fish Tent and Salty Dog Stage and had a blast and a collapse (Pogueology style :D ) , onwards and upwards folks......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭showpony1

dansan7 wrote: »
    I've been using these threads the last 5-6 years for rumours and such. Had to finally set up an account and post something. The absolute entertainment I've gotten here has been fantastic. I think someone could do a PhD on EP Post Announcement Syndrome. You have three main categories.

1. IT'S THE WORST EVER (Aka All Caps Alan). Primary argument posits that the music announced is for babies or worse WOMEN who use tan. Because as we all know, using fake tan and liking chart music makes you inherently inferior.

2. Defensive Derek. Derek argues that actually this is perfect, and if you had a more discerning palate then you'd appreciate it. Secretly worried that All Caps Alan might be right but needs to justify his expenditure.

3. Neutral Nancy. Could be better, could be worse. Likes some music listed, not others. Nancy doesn't like confrontation and keeps their love of Radio Friendly Band under wraps for fear of social isolation.

In fairness there's no right or wrong way to react. Obviously you are equally entitled to be delighted or disgusted and ultimately your wallet will decide if any music festival will continue to be successful. But I will say that the Irish tendency has been overwhelmingly negative for years. Or the negative has just been more vocal. I think there is no collection of acts that will 'work'. Since 2014 in particular each year has failed some section of music junkies. It's either the horror of seeing Lana Del Rey in the lineup, the disgust at no rock band, too much rap etc.

For my money I've been happy every time I've been and while I have my preferences I've always had way too many acts to fit them all in!

I agree with you Dan the amount of people on here who actually went to Years & Years over LCD Soundsystem you wouldn't believe!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BananaR

Good post, along with the subsidies , a lot of the festivals are heavily sponsored even by some big hitters. Initial line up for EP is'nt a patch on RW but as I mentioned in an earlier post, there is'nt enough dough to be cough up by promoters to get that level of a lineup that RW has, so deal with it!!!!!!!

Unless a promoter has enough dosh to splash out on those acts,a RW type of festival aint going to happen in this country. (even though I would love to see a similar type of festival)

My only concern for EP is going forward and as to what angle or sector they will be aiming at, especially since the "All Together Now" festival has been launched

Does the EP lineup mean I wont go??, of course not, i will head, in fact for the last 2 years, I've practically been living out of The Jerry Fish Tent and Salty Dog Stage and had a blast and a collapse (Pogueology style :D ) , onwards and upwards folks......

The revolution is coming people - for our neo-liberal overlords and the capitalist cash hungry promoters. Never accept things cause that's just the way it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Paddy2012 wrote: »
    You have a point with regards to the ticket price/value for money I suppose but I'm still pleasantly surprised with the initial announcement and would probably prefer Kendrick over any of those headliners (I've seen most of them a few times already).

Early bird and loyalty price makes it about €160 for me, that’s excellent value

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭ewj1978

recyclebin wrote: »
    That line up for Rock Werchter looks amazing. Like the Witness/Oxegen of old when it was still good. 4 day ticket for only 238euro too.

https://www.ticketmaster.be/feature/rockwerchter/?language=en-us

It really does look like we are getting mugged with Electric Picnic lineup in comparison.
    Wow. Even "The Hive" isn't a rip-off. Some line up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Listening to Garbage for the first time in about 15 years, they gonna be good.

as long as it doesn't rain, don't want happy Shirley, want pissed off angry Shirley.

• Advertisement

My skim read of the reaction suggests some people think this announcement reflects a move towards a younger, rap/electronic music direction.

I really don't see it.

One of my EP group is big into his guitar acts (and rap to be fair...) and reckons it's looking better than it has in years (see Garbage, St. Vincent, Chvrches, Wolf Alice).

Field Music are a great act - always delighted to see them on a bill.

Having wussed out of Massive Attack in the monsoon several years back, I owe them some respect and may even try to still think my feet are on the ground when they play.

La Femme were at Body and Soul last year - great value live, any indie rock heads should go look them up.

Jessie Ware, Mount Kimbie, King Krule, Kendrick, Nerd, Nina Kraviz - and then all the acts I have never heard of and will surely contain a Little Simz or a Mura Masa in there somewhere....

It's at least one and a half thumbs up from me. Any line-up this year without David Byrne feels like it's missing a little something...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I always get the tingles when I hear this, definitely influenced by Floyd's Great Gig in the Sky too, please god I hope its a dry night when they play, last time was after the beautiful electronic and lasertronic Fever Ray and a mad wetting gale like last years Saturday night.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

George Ezra confirmed himself for the Main Stage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Oooh, I'm loving La Femme already.

George Ezra confirmed himself for the Main Stage

Right who else is playing at that time???:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

I always get the tingles when I hear this, definitely influenced by Floyd's Great Gig in the Sky too, please god I hope its a dry night when they play, last time was after the beautiful electronic and lasertronic Fever Ray and a mad wetting gale like last years Saturday night.

It was way worse than last years Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I dunno man the rain added something I thought. Maybe it was the drugs but I was towards the back of the crowd and I swear you could see steam rising off of everyone and the lights shining through it looked mad, very atmospheric.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Sevdaliza is a pretty great discovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

It was way worse than last years Saturday

remember it well, was absolutely locked and determined to see them, stupidly went out with out a jacket, downing jelly and whiskey shots from the people with backpacks who sell tea, (do they still exist?).Barely remember the band and nearly ended up with hypothermia. Hoping for a dry set this time around :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭PinkCamper

They mention body & soul on the radio ad so it’s still there for sure

• Advertisement

I remember that night well (to some extent), the weather was terrible, I was half locked and was getting p*ssed off get lashed upon, I remember shuffling into one of the tents, where I pleasantly stumbled upon the UNKLE set, I sobered up pretty quick, I can tell you that....

MadYaker wrote: »
    I dunno man the rain added something I thought. Maybe it was the drugs but I was towards the back of the crowd and I swear you could see steam rising off of everyone and the lights shining through it looked mad, very atmospheric.

One of my favorite festival memories is Leftfield in the pouring rain at an early Forbidden Fruit - altho similar extenuating circumstances may have been at work there too...

Yellow days.

Hak Baker. Ah lads, it's fine! It's going to be fine!

MadYaker wrote: »

And you could feel the base cutting through you. It was one of the most amazing atmospheres I've felt at a gig

What was the 2006 Massive Attack gig like, drier circumstances hopefully, one of the EPs I didn't make, I believe they played Sunday night in that one too.

It's probably the most underwhelming announcement for me in the 13 years I've been going . I look forward to the next announcement as I'm sure there will more to suit me.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭the_gommes

Lineup suits me well I have to say. Plenty of good acts there that I’ll definitely try to see. Was really hoping for vampire weekend, hopefully they’re added later as a sub-headliner but probably too big really. Definitely needs some more dance/electronica but I’ve no doubt these will follow in the later announcements. Was hoping for a quick return for chemical bros but not to be.
    I wasn’t impressed with last years initial announcement at all last year but the later additions really fleshed it out & a bit of research (as always) uncovered some cracking acts that I’d not heard of before. I Couldn’t make it last year in the end up so chomping at the bit for it this year. Is it too early to start stocking up on cans? :D

On first glance I was dissappointed. I was secretly hoping that they would have some amazing curveball headliner playing. Failing that, I'd like one good festival anthems band for the sing alongs. Of the three headliners, Masstive Attack are the only one I know and like, but they don't seem like a festival band so not sure how they will work.

However, I don't really mind overly that I don't like the headliners because sound is better in the tents, there is more fun to be had wandering around and, perhaps crucially, guys like Kendrick Lamar and NERD will draw away the kids from other tents at crucial times. St Vincent headlining the electric arena while Kendrick Lamar was on the main stage would be phenomenal.

Outside of that, the lineup is good. St Vincent and Garbage are the only two that I know well, but King Krule, George Ezra, the Kooks, Wolf Alice, Chvrches, Cigarettes after sex, and Friendly Fires are all good bands that I'd like to see live, but probably wouldn't go to see them in dedicated gigs. Alexis Taylor as well, but I suspect this will just be a dj set rather than a hot chip scenario.

Some of the other gigs could be good too. Peggy Gou is talked about much, as are Mount Kimbie.

Overall there is enough to get me there. Would like to see a few good second announcement bands though.

I think he has a few solo albums out and touring with a band, he played Fest no 6, latitude and Bestival before, I don't think its a DJ set

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Dany Hitch

Long time follower of this thread and first time poster. I agree with previous posters: these threads will be the subject of academic research in years to come. :-)

Happy out with the acts so far. Massive Attack, Friendly Fires, Garbage and Nina Kraviz are all on my list. Would love to see Nina play in a tent rather than the woods.

Still believe there will be more sub-headliners and mid-tier acts to follow to suit most tastes. Fingers still crossed for The Prodigy!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement