Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MiniFridgeMen

I do wonder if people who trot out this kind of stuff have actually listened to any of the acts outside the first few names on the poster.....

Most certainly not, which is a shame, cause more than the names on the lineup itself, EP has always been about discovering something new for me, it would be easy to churn out a festival that gave us the most popular names, or even all of the golden oldies you could ever dream of

But I've gotten onto a lot of great bands through picnic, some who've become lifelong favourites now and some I've discovered from randomly walking into a tent and then frantically trying to check the timetable when I'm home for the name of the group or whatever

I just don't get people who see that lineup and think, well EP is dead, might as well burn my ticket and hide under my covers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Tickets sold out???, pull down the shutters lads until the next announcement!!!

Tickets sold out???, pull down the shutters lads until the next announcement!!!

29340102_10156249914834439_2306239318730997760_n.jpg?oh=ee97cc68599bfdd7b01a164d64531938&oe=5B031954

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Kepler21

Rock Werchter is a bigger festival than EP and covers roughly 4 days worth of music, you're right in the sense where the likes of LCD would not even be high up on that list. The types of acts they have had over the years is amazing,likes of Pearl Jam, Metallica,Radiohead, Paul McCartney, Prodigy comes to mind. That is down to the hard bucks that promoters are willing to pay and the sad fact is, in this country, no promoter will pay out for such a lineup/type of festival.

Rock Werchter also has only 3 stages, I think, and no frills in terms of food. All the food/drink stands are provided by the organisers, and there is little diversity or choice.
    Having only 3 stages means they can concentrate their money on the bigger acts.

29340102_10156249914834439_2306239318730997760_n.jpg?oh=ee97cc68599bfdd7b01a164d64531938&oe=5B031954

Brilliant :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Sevdaliza is a pretty great discovery.

Absolutely. Right up my alley.

Best thing about EP, wth the sheer amount of acts that go to it, you're bound to discover some great music if you do some research.

Knex. wrote: »
    Absolutely. Right up my alley.

Best thing about EP, wth the sheer amount of acts that go to it, you're bound to discover some great music if you do some research.

If you listen to every act on any Picnic lineup and DON'T find something you enjoy, you cannot blame the festival.....

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Reggie noble

If you listen to every act on any Picnic lineup and DON'T find something you enjoy, you cannot blame the festival.....

Who do you blame , the Russians ??

Who do you blame , the Russians ??

How dare you blame the Russians.....the Nerve of some people....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

Inner circle play the bad boys and cops theme song!! Bad boys! Bad boys

They also sing A la la la la long, (sweat)!!!
    BadTurtle wrote: »
    Go cry **** to Noel Gallagher you bellend.

Tone it down a bit, no need for constant insults, we can discuss music and the festival without that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Reggie noble

Kepler21 wrote: »
    Rock Werchter also has only 3 stages, I think, and no frills in terms of food. All the food/drink stands are provided by the organisers, and there is little diversity or choice.
    Having only 3 stages means they can concentrate their money on the bigger acts.

I do Wish we had the option of a festival like that here . I don't go for frilly ****e n fancy humus stalls , just want music , beer n bag of chips if ur hungry

The food at rock werchter isn't half bad either though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

I do Wish we had the option of a festival like that here . I don't go for frilly ****e n fancy humus stalls , just want music , beer n bag of chips if ur hungry

All the installments and different types of stages and acts and amazing food choices are something that I love about EP. It's what makes it such a magical weekend I think. While I'd love top notch acts if it was just stages, beer and burger and chips, I don't think I would enjoy the weekend as much. It amazing how even with not being at a stage there is always something to go and do and see and the effort that goes in is unreal

Oh I'm so excited - how many sleeps?

Food at the Picnic aint that bad as well, I mean , theres time when i needed it for a bit of soakage, at RW its voucher based, but the selection of drink is way better...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

kg703 wrote: »

Tone it down a bit, no need for constant insults, we can discuss music and the festival without that

There is no need for insults when discussing a lineup, I'll agree, but considering this delightful chap decided to call everyone pleased with the announcement a moron, a propos of absolutely nothing, it wouldve been remiss of me not to point out some actual facts about his character. Which is all I did, when you boil it down :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mulkabu

"Massive Attack in the rain" is one of the best gigs I've sever seen.  They're always great live but that was special.  I think maybe because the rain was so oppressive you had no option but to totally soak it in, its not like you could have a chat about it with friends, just hide under your raincoat and give them 100%.  Incredible. 

To be fair theres no way any member of that audience could pass any part of any breathalyser anywhere in the world, probably :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Would also like to say how good Massive Attack in 2010 were. They were chattier than usual, didn't seem too put out by the weather, despite someone having to come out and sweep water off the stage between songs. Then the next track would start up and it was like the last rave before the apocalypse again. Atlas Air was the last track if memory serves, and it just kept going in the best way possible, Del Naja spinning around in the storm at the front of the stage. Absolutely brilliant, you can't reproduce an atmosphere like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

kg703 wrote: »
    Oh I'm so excited - how many sleeps?

168 Sleeps

168 Sleeps

When is the next announcement ? Not usually for a couple of months and probably gonna be "Theater of food" right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Nugget89

When is the next announcement ? Not usually for a couple of months and probably gonna be "Theater of food" right ?

Last year the 2nd major announcement was on June 23rd.
    And Other Voices and Trenchtown released their first few names in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BananaR

Lest I ever be accused of having had a bit of a rant about what I believe to be a pretty below par line-up, without checking out each of the listed artists...
    Ive had a listen to everyone on the lineup this morning and in all honesty very little of it is my cup of tea at all.

Leaving aside Massive Attack, St Vincent & Mount Kimbie - the only acts I'd give a 2nd listen to are

King Krule
    Friendly Fires
    Field Music
    La Femme
    Yellow Days

• Advertisement

BananaR wrote: »
    Lest I ever be accused of having had a bit of a rant about what I believe to be a pretty below par line-up, without checking out each of the listed artists...
    Ive had a listen to everyone on the lineup this morning and in all honesty very little of it is my cup of tea at all.

Leaving aside Massive Attack, St Vincent & Mount Kimbie - the only acts I'd give a 2nd listen to are

King Krule
    Friendly Fires
    Field Music
    La Femme
    Yellow Days

I know you said you listened to everyone, but if you enjoy those guys I'd say you'd enjoy Nilufer Yanya and Tom Misch

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Given the first announcement is out, hoping that we might start to see other bands self confirm now that the seal is broken on the 7th gate to hell.

I know you said you listened to everyone, but if you enjoy those guys I'd say you'd enjoy Nilufer Yanya and Tom Misch

I didn't find them that distinctive. Not bad per se but a bit generic

If I'm being totally honest, it's probably my biggest issue with so much of the music knocking around at the moment. I find it all very formulaic, interchangeable. But I guess that's just where my taste lies in relation to today's acts. C'est La vie...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

My main gripe is the serious lack of electronic acts. Last year we got Soulwax, Pete Tong, Annie Mac, Mano Le Tough, Floating Points, Kiasmos, Kelly Lee Owens in the first announcement.

This year we get Massive Attack and ??????

This makes me worry that they're moving away from the electronic scene in a big way. Which is the heart and soul of the Picnic for me.

Synode wrote: »
    My main gripe is the serious lack of electronic acts. Last year we got Soulwax, Pete Tong, Annie Mac, Mano Le Tough, Floating Points, Kiasmos, Kelly Lee Owens in the first announcement.

This makes me worry that they're moving away from the electronic scene in a big way. Which is the heart and soul of the Picnic for me.

I completely agree. Big issue from my side also.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭eplady2017

Been mulling over the line-up since yesterday. After my initial WTF reaction I’m actually happy enough with the line-up.
    Top 3 don’t really appeal to me although I’d head along to Massive Attack if there’s nothing else on.
    Happy with Wold Alice, Chvrches, George Ezra and St. Vincent.
    Loving the sound of Gang Of Youths and Cigarettes After Sex so they will be added to the list.. And loads more to come…

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

This is exactly exactly how I feel.

Listened to a good few of the line up this morning and really nothing jumps out at me. Only discovered kiasmos when the line up was announced last year and loved them.
    But there’s nothing that was announced yesterday that has me really excited.

I’m going, il have a great weekend but still allowed to moan about the line up!!

Forbidden fruit and altogether now have a far superior line up... of course that’s if your into dance/electronic. Ep seems to be moving a little away from that in the headlining and second and third tier acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭roll

mulkabu wrote: »
    "Massive Attack in the rain" is one of the best gigs I've sever seen.  They're always great live but that was special.  I think maybe because the rain was so oppressive you had no option but to totally soak it in, its not like you could have a chat about it with friends, just hide under your raincoat and give them 100%.  Incredible. 

To be fair theres no way any member of that audience could pass any part of any breathalyser anywhere in the world, probably :)

I'm still scarred from the rain and wind that night. Just not so scarred to consider not going to EP and camping!

Rfrip wrote: »
    This is exactly exactly how I feel.

Listened to a good few of the line up this morning and really nothing jumps out at me. Only discovered kiasmos when the line up was announced last year and loved them.
    But there’s nothing that was announced yesterday that has me really excited.

I’m going, il have a great weekend but still allowed to moan about the line up!!

Forbidden fruit and altogether now have a far superior line up... of course that’s if your into dance/electronic. Ep seems to be moving a little away from that in the headlining and second and third tier acts.

Also even The Beatyard has a few quality electronic acts - John Talabot, orbital, Kiasmos, modeselektor (dj set)

• Advertisement

There is Nina Kraviz and Peggy Gou whom imo are fantastic!

But yeah I agree, **** all electronica, but there is still plenty of time!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement