Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Rfrip wrote: »

Forbidden fruit and altogether now have a far superior line up... of course that’s if your into dance/electronic.

I'd say FF is miles ahead in terms of "indie" acts too tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

BananaR wrote: »
    Also even The Beatyard has a few quality electronic acts - John Talabot, orbital, Kiasmos, modeselektor (dj set)

Yeah your right actually forgot that festival.Great acts there that I would have loved to have seen announced, especially kamasi Washington.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Stillill42

It's a tough one. I was really disappointed with the first announcement last year precisely because I thought that the electronic stuff was way over represented. I was wrong and turns out there was loads to keep me happy but it's a bit of a tightrope they walk. Hopefully the balance will be addressed over next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BananaR

I like my electronic on much darker side of anything which might be loosely termed electronic on that EP announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Paddy2012

Synode wrote: »
    My main gripe is the serious lack of electronic acts. Last year we got Soulwax, Pete Tong, Annie Mac, Mano Le Tough, Floating Points, Kiasmos, Kelly Lee Owens in the first announcement.

This year we get Massive Attack and ??????

This makes me worry that they're moving away from the electronic scene in a big way. Which is the heart and soul of the Picnic for me.
    They were mentioned previously but I thought the last Mount Kimbie album was excellent, the King Krule track was one of the best songs of last year for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Paddy2012 wrote: »
    They were mentioned previously but I thought the last Mount Kimbie album was excellent, the King Krule track was one of the best songs of last year for me

I thought it was their best album yet ... and especially that track

• Registered Users Posts: 27 dansan7

Maybe people have already said why and I missed it but has anyone accounted for the xxx behind Massive Attack on the poster? Looks like they typed over a placeholder, but surely they'd look to fix it?

EDIT: Scratch that - a quick google shows its deliberate. Album title design choice thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Guessing you didn't get a ticket before they sold out?

To see that ****e ???? Grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

You have got to be talking to yourself there surely.

Guessing you didn't get a ticket before they sold out?

https://www.boards.ie/b/
    Some non EP topics that you may be interested in, Peter. Enjoy the weekend.

• Advertisement

That would have been much more effective if I actually posted the link. You get the idea though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

BananaR wrote: »
    I like my electronic on much darker side of anything which might be loosely termed electronic on that EP announcement.

super dark?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BananaR

super dark?

That's it! Spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mgkelly

Isn't the internet great!! Thomas the Tank Engine goth mash up!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

There will be a lot more electronica and dance added through the following months, Little Big Tent, sometimes even Rankins Wood and Electric Arena, Red Bull tent, Anchronica (Rave in the Woods), Bacardi Bar to name a bunch and god willing B&S Village will be back with a whole bunch of stages too, not to mention Trenchtown that doesn't only cover roots reggae but Jungle, DnB, dubstep and other bass musics.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

kg703 wrote: »
    All the installments and different types of stages and acts and amazing food choices are something that I love about EP. It's what makes it such a magical weekend I think. While I'd love top notch acts if it was just stages, beer and burger and chips, I don't think I would enjoy the weekend as much. It amazing how even with not being at a stage there is always something to go and do and see and the effort that goes in is unreal

Oh I'm so excited - how many sleeps?

Ha ha did ya mean installations :p

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭haitens

Fairly new to this thread on boards but have been to the last 3 picnics and a few of the early ones. Went to every Witness and Oxegen until the line up didn't justify the hassle. So my question is when did everyone get so precious about festivals? All these "I'm done with the Picnic its ruined" comments are they recent enough or has it always been like this for every announcement? Either way can't wait I'm happy enough with the 1st round of acts. Looking forward to Massive Attack St Vincent Wolf Alice Peggy Gou Chvrches Nina Kravitz Garbage and never heard of Gang Of Youths but like what I've heard so far. Will go see Lemar NERD Field Music if nothing else I like clashes. But would still like to see James or The Charlatans added or something of that ilk. Feel it's missing an act like that but I'm sure that will happen with 2nd round. Also they should correct the poster if Body and Soul is coming back I'm sure we'd all like that mistake put to bed. The radio ad says it's happening and so does the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭milehip

Any idea why Body & Soul is not listed? I note Other Voices isn't either

Body and Soul will be at the Picnic, I have it on good authority.

Any idea why Body & Soul is not listed? I note Other Voices isn't either

Body and Soul will be at the Picnic, I have it on good authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Is this the same level of authority that others here have stated with utter certainty as to which bands would be announced?

• Advertisement

Double trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Synode wrote: »
    My main gripe is the serious lack of electronic acts. Last year we got Soulwax, Pete Tong, Annie Mac, Mano Le Tough, Floating Points, Kiasmos, Kelly Lee Owens in the first announcement.

This year we get Massive Attack and ??????

This makes me worry that they're moving away from the electronic scene in a big way. Which is the heart and soul of the Picnic for me.
    Nina Kraviz and Peggy Gou. two of the most in demand DJs around at the moment....

Pete Tong's covers set and Annie Mac are fukcing appalling, by the by.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭patch

Nina Kraviz and Peggy Gou. two of the most in demand DJs around at the moment....

Off to YouTube I go to verify!
    I thought Annie Mac was a lot better than Pete Tong last year. And liked Bicep a lot too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Nina and Peggy are great but they both have played here lots. Peggy was at District 8 only a couple of weeks ago.

In fairness to Annie Mac her live sets are pretty banging. Not sure why she never made the move into producing and remixing her own stuff. I didn't like the gospel choir she had at EP last year though, and she's a brutal radio presenter (no one seems to have the heart to tell her).

No doubt much more will be announced but when you look at the line up for Annie Mac's Lost and Found festival (Malta) the EP line up vis-a-vis dance is thin.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

dansan7 wrote: »
    I've been using these threads the last 5-6 years for rumours and such. Had to finally set up an account and post something. The absolute entertainment I've gotten here has been fantastic. I think someone could do a PhD on EP Post Announcement Syndrome. You have three main categories.

1. IT'S THE WORST EVER (Aka All Caps Alan). Primary argument posits that the music announced is for babies or worse WOMEN who use tan. Because as we all know, using fake tan and liking chart music makes you inherently inferior.

2. Defensive Derek. Derek argues that actually this is perfect, and if you had a more discerning palate then you'd appreciate it. Secretly worried that All Caps Alan might be right but needs to justify his expenditure.

3. Neutral Nancy. Could be better, could be worse. Likes some music listed, not others. Nancy doesn't like confrontation and keeps their love of Radio Friendly Band under wraps for fear of social isolation.

In fairness there's no right or wrong way to react. Obviously you are equally entitled to be delighted or disgusted and ultimately your wallet will decide if any music festival will continue to be successful. But I will say that the Irish tendency has been overwhelmingly negative for years. Or the negative has just been more vocal. I think there is no collection of acts that will 'work'. Since 2014 in particular each year has failed some section of music junkies. It's either the horror of seeing Lana Del Rey in the lineup, the disgust at no rock band, too much rap etc.

For my money I've been happy every time I've been and while I have my preferences I've always had way too many acts to fit them all in!

This has got to be the best thing I’ve read on boards in quite some time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,028 ✭✭✭endainoz

I'd prefer to be a Neutral Nancy rather than and moaning Michael, or a doubting Thomas or a pedantic Pat.

endainoz wrote: »
    I'd prefer to be a Neutral Nancy rather than and moaning Michael, or a doubting Thomas or a pedantic Pat.

Or Farmer Michael ha ha :D

Is this the same level of authority that others here have stated with utter certainty as to which bands would be announced?

Nope,it higher,I've been approached to work for body and soul @ ep.

We interrupt the news with a snippet of Massive Attack from Glastonbury 2008 to activate the excitement and adventure orgasm modules which will in turn inject huge positivity for electric picnic ticnic. :D:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭patch

We interrupt the news with a snippet of Massive Attack from Glastonbury 2008 to activate the excitement and adventure orgasm modules which will in turn inject huge positivity for electric picnic ticnic. :D:)

I guess that’s my concerns that they might not be great live, wiped out. Hearing teardrop live will be awesome.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement