Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

ewj1978 wrote: »
    Thom Yorke has announced a solo European tour.
    May-June.
    Only one festival on the list- Sonar in Barcelona.
    No Irish dates.
    Radiohead might still be a possibility :D

Radiohead wouldn't exactly fit in with the demographic that E.P is now aiming for.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Would be a great act , plenty of hits to fill 60-90 min set

29387056_10155157138535876_2339873465324011520_n.jpg?oh=43558450f8592197c7f2cc706969e252&oe=5B313E62

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mgkelly

Bloc party playing 3 arena in October , just announced it there . Would've loved them at EP
    Yeah, pity. They've been good. Saw mentioned on a Tweet from Pitchfork that they are playing their first album. So much for others' speculation that they were on a hiatus! Shows how little we really know! And maybe all your source's names will be in second announcement?! ;)

Been listening to the Debut album by The Orielles. They sound brilliant. Seem quite hyped at present, but good reasons. Don't seem to be attending any other Ireland festival. Would be great.

mgkelly wrote: »
    Yeah, pity. They've been good. Saw mentioned on a Tweet from Pitchfork that they are playing their first album. So much for others' speculation that they were on a hiatus! Shows how little we really know! And maybe all your source's names will be in second announcement?! ;)

Been listening to the Debut album by The Orielles. They sound brilliant. Seem quite hyped at present, but good reasons. Don't seem to be attending any other Ireland festival. Would be great.

Tbh they have only being playing a few dates a year over the last few years plus Kele has been touring or releasing music recently enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Peter File wrote: »
    Radiohead wouldn't exactly fit in with the demographic that E.P is now aiming for.

Why not? Massive Attack, St Vincent, Wolf Alice, Ben Howard, Jessie Ware, Garbage, Mount Kimbie, Friendly Fires would all be either contemporaries or influenced by Radiohead or Thom Yorke.

You're presumably another one who only listens to rock, so anything like hip hop or electronic music is seen as only for kids.

On that aside, I don't know what it is about how acts like NERD are labelled, just laziness or a more insidious kind of racism, that people call them hip hop by default when there's far more funk and rock in their discography than rapping (Fly or Die and Nothing were entirely without hip hop verses, Seeing Sounds and In Search Of... had about 4 rap songs between them). Very typical of people who only listen to rock music though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Why not? Massive Attack, St Vincent, Wolf Alice, Ben Howard, Jessie Ware, Garbage, Mount Kimbie, Friendly Fires would all be either contemporaries or influenced by Radiohead or Thom Yorke.

You're presumably another one who only listens to rock, so anything like hip hop or electronic music is seen as only for kids.

On that aside, I don't know what it is about how acts like NERD are labelled, just laziness or a more insidious kind of racism, that people call them hip hop by default when there's far more funk and rock in their discography than rapping (Fly or Die and Nothing were entirely without hip hop verses, Seeing Sounds and In Search Of... had about 4 rap songs between them). Very typical of people who only listen to rock music though.

you are 100% wrong in what you wrote about me in your ill informed rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Well you were hardly likely to agree that you're being narrow-minded. I'll take it as true, nonetheless.

1400419395950.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Cheer up, Turtle. No need for the adversarial approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

Has anyone made an EP18 playlist yet? Willing to share?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Even PeterFiles deserve a second chance.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,625 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Peterd66 wrote: »
    Yes but we have a better local homegrown version with more humour but still on message in Jinx Lennon. Not to be missed live for sheer anger , energy and humour in well balanced amounts. "
    Forgive the C**ts!"

Jinx was my highlight of last year..

Completely out of the blue and crazily hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Wolf Alice just tweeted a picture which says “Electric Arena”.

I presume that’s where they’ll be playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Peter File wrote: »

Does EP actually have a demographic anymore?

They seem to try to be all things to all people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Now that the lineup has sunk in I have gotten over the initial disappointment. Listened to a few so far who sound good, Wolf Alice and The Blaze both sound very good, I also didn't realise how many of the Kooks songs I know.

Slowdive were announced for Parades Des Coura festival in Portugal two weeks before EP, would really love if they were announced for picnic, haven't played in Ireland since the release of their latest album so would hope they are due an appearance..

Yup , NERD posted a similiar picture with theres saying Main Stage

• Registered Users Posts: 19,735 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Pretty sure that's where they played last time.

Think they finished with a cover of "gypsy". Couldn't believe my ears/luck!

everlast75 wrote: »
    Pretty sure that's where they played last time.

Think they finished with a cover of "gypsy". Couldn't believe my ears/luck!

I didnt think it was possible but i nearly fell asleep during there set in 2016 , Now it had absolutely nothing to do with the band its that it was Sunday afternoon and i was a wreck so hopefully ill be able to enjoy them this time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

I hope DA F.U.C.K. they sort out their sound!

Absolute **** in the EA last time they played. I'm a big fan, at times I couldnt tell what song it was, a wall of blurred noise!
    My thoughts were "default technician" in the EA, maybe didnt know the band.....seen them in the Olympia last year the exact same pure S.hite!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

I didnt think it was possible but i nearly fell asleep during there set in 2016 , Now it had absolutely nothing to do with the band its that it was Sunday afternoon and i was a wreck so hopefully ill be able to enjoy them this time

They had a great set last time out and also in the Olympia in November

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MiniFridgeMen

jimmy180sx wrote: »
    Has anyone made an EP18 playlist yet? Willing to share?

https://open.spotify.com/user/shogannn/playlist/2Ufcyw1xhwlVaoxX2FljGV?si=hCd4-jtcQHCXfbzoB2XSfw

There ya are now,

Gonna continue to add to it as acts come up, but will probably leave it to "main lineup" acts, gonna have a separate playlist for Trechtown, Casa Bacardi, and hopefully B&S and Other Voices if they are actually bringing that back, which at the moment doesn't look to sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I wonder is there any chance of Thom Yorke being added in the next announcement? Lots of people on reddit seem to think the little tour he’s announced plus his recent odd behavior on Twitter suggests he’s about to release his third solo album. He’d be a good electric arena headliner maybe? Not sure where they’d put him to be honest. His tour only has dates in may and June and then the Radiohead tour starts again in July so maybe not.

Odd behaviour? Thomas Yorke?! Surely not? What's he been saying, then? Think I actually follow him, but didn't spot anything too out of the ordinary recently. Mike Skinner's been tweeting much more oddly!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MiniFridgeMen

Odd behaviour? Thomas Yorke?! Surely not? What's he been saying, then? Think I actually follow him, but didn't spot anything too out of the ordinary recently. Mike Skinner's been tweeting much more oddly!

I'd trade a million Kooks to get Mike Skinner at Picnic

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Seemingly random unrelated sentences with no punctuation and a few pencil sketches, take from that what you will!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,735 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

MadYaker wrote: »
    Seemingly random unrelated sentences with no punctuation.. take from that what you will!

so "his lyrics", basically..

I'd trade a million Kooks to get Mike Skinner at Picnic
    Totally agree! LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭thebusher

Mr.S wrote: »

40+ year olds having a midlife crisis, bringing their kids along for validation

Oi!

40+ (nearer to 50) Love our music and getting away from kids!

:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭thebusher

Gary Lighbody announcing a new Snow Patrol album today.

Nailed on I reckon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Paddy2012

Fatfrog wrote: »

I hope DA F.U.C.K. they sort out their sound!

Absolute **** in the EA last time they played. I'm a big fan, at times I couldnt tell what song it was, a wall of blurred noise!
    My thoughts were "default technician" in the EA, maybe didnt know the band.....seen them in the Olympia last year the exact same pure S.hite!
    I'm a fan too and actually thought the same, I was further back though so wonder if it sound was better closer to the stage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement