Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Kepler21

3361704380_da54a000e2_b.jpg
    Lisdoonvarna 1981 was my first festival; great lineup, completely loved it. I remember the last night it chucked down rain all evening, and I got back to my tent to learn a valuable lesson: never put your tent on a hill with the entrance at the top. i think my sleep bag was floating.

I love the process of discovering new music through EP; keeps me younger. There is something in me that comes alive at EP, that I don't see the rest of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Gus Ivey wrote: »
    You went to Oxygen when you were 14?

I think I was 15 but yes! My dad brought for a day to see the chili peppers I think it was. I’m not sure on the years tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Great stories, folks. What a wealth of experience. That's the diversity of clientele that I love about EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Kepler21 wrote: »
    3361704380_da54a000e2_b.jpg

I see at the bottom of that poster, it says Scullions farewell performance (Philip King of Other Voices).
    They're still gigging 37 years later!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

but there's no field there :confused:
    i'm talking about the field with all these newly planted baby trees, where the Eco campsite and hundreds of tents are going to be....

Ok, this seems to be going around in circles. There is an area where they have planted young trees. They have shown a photograph of it and said that part of where the eco camping will be there this year. I recognise that area from passing by it last year. It was more or less directly opposite the rave in the woods. You can see it clearly on the aerial photo of the festival.

If you remember something different from being there, or that the field is in a different part of the festival site, then that's fine. I'm open to correction if you recognise it from another part of the estate. However, if you remember there being a swirling vortex of empty nothingness with a complete absence of fields directly opposite the rave in the woods, then there is a possible alternative explanation that you might want to consider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Spaceshanty

Loving the different stories.

I'm 38, and have attended all EP's since 2006 with the exception of 2007 and 2013. Unfortunately Australia in 07 & getting married in 13 got in the way of a great weekend those years :-). Witnness , and then Oxegen for many years before I ended up at EP. Ive camped in the Oscar Wilde campsite for a good few years, campervan once (walk is a killer), and last year ended up in the Eco Site which was brilliant. This year we are trying out the Pink Moon as there is a big gang of 18 attending. Probably, my last one this year, but i've said that before.

One of my first gigs was below....

[img]tps://planet-dust.laserjay.net/images/point.jpg[/img].446245.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Ok, this seems to be going around in circles. There is an area where they have planted young trees. They have shown a photograph of it and said that part of where the eco camping will be there this year. I recognise that area from passing by it last year. It was more or less directly opposite the rave in the woods. You can see it clearly on the aerial photo of the festival.

If you remember something different from being there, or that the field is in a different part of the festival site, then that's fine. I'm open to correction if you recognise it from another part of the estate. However, if you remember there being a swirling vortex of empty nothingness with a complete absence of fields directly opposite the rave in the woods, then there is a possible alternative explanation that you might want to consider.

I just didn't know where you were talking about, there's no empty area marked on the map, and I didn't see any such area last year. "directly opposite" the rave in the woods isn't very descriptive as the directly opposite the stage is more woodland, and "directly opposite" the area could have been any direction, again with no empty space on the map.

having checked a few aerial photographs now, I can see it, thanks. a large sliver of land between Chaplin and the woods, seems larger than the current Eco campsite space.

Crg49uLWgAAAoa2.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

This was my very first festival when Donnington was non camping back in 1984, after going to a spate of metal gigs during the early eighties this was the first proper rock n roll festival event.

27f04b12077ef1b7f030af898f3ff156.jpg

My next festival excursion was Acid Daze at Leeds Queens Hall in 1987 and the lineup for that was this:

1: Hawkwind
    2: Doctor And The Medics
    3: The Enid
    4: Suicide
    5: Pink Fairies
    6: Robert Calvert And The Starfighters
    7: Spacemen 3
    8: Tubular Dog.

The following year I went to see David Gilmour's Pink Floyd at Manchester Maine Road Stadium.

First proper two day festival, well I went on day 2 was Fleadh Mor which has been already mentioned from 1993 and T the Park the following year in Scotland. It wouldn't be for another 11 years till I braved a festival again the 2005 Electric Picnic, missing 2006 but been to every other one since, plus 5 Lifes and 6 Body & Souls and various other events. I think the missing ten years was due to me learning the bodhran and going to a mad amount of trad and folk festivals, fleadhs and the All Ireland Fleadhs which I still go to occasionally. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

I started off my gig obsession at The Winter Party in Mosney in 2000. Sasha and Digweed. Amazing!! Spent a few years going to all the Creams/ Winter Parties etc in The Point before my first camping festival which was Witnness 2003 and that blew my mind. I was hooked!! Went to Oxegen then up until 2009 then started on the smaller festivals. I try to go to at least 5 each year now, the smaller ones are as good as the big ones in my opinion but made it to Glastonbury last year and my mind was blown again.
    Will be trying out Beatherder In the UK this year and can't miss Vantastival. Also very excited about ATN. Roll on festival season!! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭thebusher

Saw the Stone Roses at Brixton Academy just before the originaal split and we had a belter of a night. Gig of our lives at the time.

Moved home a few years later and saw a bootleg of it on cassette for sale by one of the lads on O'Connell Bridge. Bought it and couldnt wait to get home and listen.

Jesus they were brutal! Thank God for alcohol

:-) Still a great night though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Feile 90, the original Trip to Tipp.
    Fantastic weekend. I was 16 and headed down on my own. Had to persuade the folks my mates were going.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mgkelly

Feile 90, the original Trip to Tipp.  
    Fantastic weekend.  I was 16 and headed down on my own.  Had to persuade the folks my mates were going.
    Holy Moses. Going to a festival on you own at 16! Brave! My son is 16 - couldn't see him doing it! Fair fecks to ye!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

mgkelly wrote: »
    Holy Moses. Going to a festival on you own at 16! Brave! My son is 16 - couldn't see him doing it! Fair fecks to ye!

They were somewhat simpler times. I lived the weekend on burgers and two two litres of Linden Village.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

They were somewhat simpler times. I lived the weekend on burgers and two two litres of Linden Village.

Spent quite a few weekends in the Village at that age myself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tonto123

Witness 03 .. God damn jack whites injury to his finger I think it was.... Was raging they couldn't play... Great times... Got some bad news in the family this week and realised I might have a lot more important stuff to deal with now and not be able to attend but as sad as it sounds I'll still enjoy this thread... Good music people on here...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

tonto123 wrote: »
    Witness 03 .. God damn jack whites injury to his finger I think it was.... Was raging they couldn't play... Great times... Got some bad news in the family this week and realised I might have a lot more important stuff to deal with now and not be able to attend but as sad as it sounds I'll still enjoy this thread... Good music people on here...

Was at the witness too...with a slab of Dutch gold as my drink. Simpler times

Best wishes to you and family

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

dmm82 wrote: »
    I started off my gig obsession at The Winter Party in Mosney in 2000. Sasha and Digweed. Amazing!!

Darren Emerson too. One of my favourite gigs ever. Was gas been back in Mosney. Hadn't been there since summer projects in my early teens

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

Synode wrote: »
    Darren Emerson too. One of my favourite gigs ever. Was gas been back in Mosney. Hadn't been there since summer projects in my early teens

It was a crazy night alright. I was only 18 at the time. Jaysus :D

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

First festival was feile 91 - 15 years old, had no idea what I was letting myself in for and thank God neither did any of the parents involved in dropping us off / picking us up!

Not long after being dropped off we were walking to the campsite with a shopping trolley full of beer - thank God for very tall friends.

Went to three Feiles in a row - Memories of these weekends are somewhat dim but Black Francis showing up @ Feile 91 unannounced and playing a solo set including a number of Pixies classics is my undoubted musical highlight. At that age, standing in the middle of the Semple Stadium shouting out "You are the son of a Muth@f&ck@" during Nimrods Son was quite a special moment.

Major festival going hiatus between starting college and the mid-00s - only got to the odd one.

Been to every EP since around 08 (or at least I have pictures suggesting I have... again some dim memories...) and have adopted Body and Soul as our family festival, it'll be the 7th in a row with kids for us this year (god help them).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

First festival was oxegen 05 when I was 18, went every year after that. It had serious lineups to be fair. First ep was 08 and have been to four since. Only weddings have stopped me. Great festival and can’t wait for this year as haven’t been since 15.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

First big gig was at the age of 17 - Phoenix Park Racecourse in 1983. Sweltering heat and loads of guys clambering onto the top of the grandstand roof. No evident health & safety. Every act was class, from Perfect Crime right up to U2's glorious homecoming. In between were Steel Pulse, Big Country, Eurythmics & Simple Minds, all at their peak. A fab introduction to big musical days out.

Moved to England a couple of years later, first magical Glasto in 1986 (ah The Cure that weekend man.....) and several more visits to Somerset right up to 2014. A couple of Primaveras, Latitude and other UK stuff entertained me early this century & paved the way for EP.

Did one Oxegen in 2004 then that unmissable Stradbally line-up of 2005 had every last music-loving Irish pal of mine in Laois that weekend. Haven't missed one since and this year my 14th. Some sort of dubious achievement.

Best thing about this one will be the first one not travelling from abroad after moving back to the west of Ireland last October. August can't come soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Dany Hitch

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    First big gig was at the age of 17 - Phoenix Park Racecourse in 1983. Sweltering heat and loads of guys clambering onto the top of the grandstand roof. No evident health & safety. Every act was class, from Perfect Crime right up to U2's glorious homecoming. In between were Steel Pulse, Big Country, Eurythmics & Simple Minds, all at their peak. A fab introduction to big musical days out.

Moved to England a couple of years later, first magical Glasto in 1986 (ah The Cure that weekend man.....) and several more visits to Somerset right up to 2014. A couple of Primaveras, Latitude and other UK stuff entertained me early this century & paved the way for EP.

Did one Oxegen in 2004 then that unmissable Stradbally line-up of 2005 had every last music-loving Irish pal of mine in Laois that weekend. Haven't missed one since and this year my 14th. Some sort of dubious achievement.

Best thing about this one will be the first one not travelling from abroad after moving back to the west of Ireland last October. August can't come soon enough.

First gig was when I was 14 and went to see Gwen Stafani with No Doubt in the Point in '97 on a schoolnight. Magic. Hitchhiked my way to Galway for the Big Day Out to see Pulp, Ian Browne and Cornershop in '98 in the pouring rain. The mother went spare when my mate dropped me in it saying that I hadn't taken the bus down with him the previous evening and I'd just appeared that morning. Hazy memories of drinking cans of Beamish too.
    First camping festival was Witness in '02 and it blew my mind. Chemical Brothers dropped "Setting Sun" as the sun set and I'll never, ever forget that night! Plenty of Oxegens and EP's since then and hopefully many more to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

Great stories folks! First festival was Oxegen 2008, 17 years old full of innocence and Bavaria. Amy Winehouse, REM and The Verve one after the other on the main stage on the Sat night, MGMT and Rage against the Machine on the Sunday. Great weekend. Looking forward to EP this year although it will be hard to beat Blur in 2015 for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭PinkCamper

Apart from a few Slane trips and various gigs in Dublin, my first festival was age 34. After the kid years. Have your babies young folks, and enjoy your festival years later in life, when you have some money in your pocket and REALLY appreciate the experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭PinkCamper

Blur 2015 was unexpectedly magical. Huge happy wave of nostalgia.

thebusher wrote: »
    Saw the Stone Roses at Brixton Academy just before the originaal split and we had a belter of a night. Gig of our lives at the time.

Moved home a few years later and saw a bootleg of it on cassette for sale by one of the lads on O'Connell Bridge. Bought it and couldnt wait to get home and listen.

Jesus they were brutal! Thank God for alcohol

:-) Still a great night though

That wasn't the Stone Roses! They don't exist without Reni :P

A joy to witness Breaking into Heaven live, regardless.

PinkCamper wrote: »
    Blur 2015 was unexpectedly magical. Huge happy wave of nostalgia.

Damon Albarn was bang on form. Great crowd too, remember handing over my tobacco to a young lad beside us after he offered to roll for us in exchange for a few :D

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MiniFridgeMen

Murdoc90 wrote: »
    Great stories folks! First festival was Oxegen 2008, 17 years old full of innocence and Bavaria. Amy Winehouse, REM and The Verve one after the other on the main stage on the Sat night, MGMT and Rage against the Machine on the Sunday. Great weekend. Looking forward to EP this year although it will be hard to beat Blur in 2015 for me!

Blur were soooooo good,

Favorite non-headline act from EP ? lets say bottom half of the lineup, or any of the non-mainstage-stages (B&S,Other Voices, Salty etc.etc.etc)

Mr.Jukes last year was phenomenal
    Nicky Siano or Joey Negro at Casa Bacardi were also amazing

• Subscribers Posts: 41,629 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

41 here.
    first gig was U2 zoo tv in '93.
    First festival was feile in '94, fantastic line up which included Grant lee Bufffalo, The Stunning, Crowded House, Hous of Pain, The Prodigy (in their pomp !!), Blur, Rage against the machine, Kerbdog, cranberries.

since then been a regular gig and festival goer, all the witnness'es and a few oxygens,
    Kids came along then so reduced to a few one days in the early days of EP.... weekends in '06 and '09 and last year

kids now at the age where we can have a blow out over the weekend....... happy days !

• Advertisement

Blur were soooooo good,

Favorite non-headline act from EP ? lets say bottom half of the lineup, or any of the non-mainstage-stages (B&S,Other Voices, Salty etc.etc.etc)

Mr.Jukes last year was phenomenal
    Nicky Siano or Joey Negro at Casa Bacardi were also amazing

King Kong Company, The Staves and Fat White Family not sure of the year or the day but they were all excellent.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement