Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

Murdoc90 wrote: »
    King Kong Company, The Staves and Fat White Family not sure of the year or the day but they were all excellent.

Can we forget Tame Impala rocking the tent while all the young heads flocked to see Florence

Also The War on Drugs and Girl Band playing Whooooopa sets

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭eplady2017

Blur were soooooo good,

Favorite non-headline act from EP ? lets say bottom half of the lineup, or any of the non-mainstage-stages (B&S,Other Voices, Salty etc.etc.etc)

Mr.Jukes last year was phenomenal
    Nicky Siano or Joey Negro at Casa Bacardi were also amazing

King Kong Company, Any year / Any stage...
    Aquilo, Ham Sandwich, Bear's Den, Public Service Broadcasting....
    Hoping some of these might turn up on some stage again this year....

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

eplady2017 wrote: »
    King Kong Company, Any year / Any stage...
    Aquilo, Ham Sandwich, Bear's Den, Public Service Broadcasting....
    Hoping some of these might turn up on some stage again this year....

Never made it to Ham Sandwich but setting up my tent was made easier with them playing in the background with an ice cold bottle in my hand.. as i type the rain is hitting off the office window ...sigh...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Blur were soooooo good,

Favorite non-headline act from EP ? lets say bottom half of the lineup, or any of the non-mainstage-stages (B&S,Other Voices, Salty etc.etc.etc)

Mr.Jukes last year was phenomenal
    Nicky Siano or Joey Negro at Casa Bacardi were also amazing

Crystal Fighters, John Grant, Tune Yards, Breton, DBFC, Bicep (last year) Beardyman, Gary Numan, Hot Chip (2006) ... I will probably think of a few more once I hit "Submit"

tbh, I was a bit underwhelmed by Mr. Jukes last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭endainoz

Kepler21 wrote: »
    3361704380_da54a000e2_b.jpg
    Lisdoonvarna 1981 was my first festival; great lineup, completely loved it. I remember the last night it chucked down rain all evening, and I got back to my tent to learn a valuable lesson: never put your tent on a hill with the entrance at the top. i think my sleep bag was floating.

I love the process of discovering new music through EP; keeps me younger. There is something in me that comes alive at EP, that I don't see the rest of the year.

Lisdoonvarna will always mean a huge amount to me, seen as it was held on the family farm I live and work on! Of course these festivals were all before my time and I was always fascinated by them and what went on. I still find old glass bottles on the land from time to time and other bits and pieces, if anyone has any interest I'd be happy to share them.

There was of course an attempt to revive them in 2003 which didn't work out for various reasons. Had it occurred who knows where it would have gone seen as it would have predated the picnic by a year. Maybe I'd be the one with the insider information of the line up!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Can we forget Tame Impala rocking the tent while all the young heads flocked to see Florence

Oh man those gigs. Honourable mention for My Morning Jacket, too.

But Girl Band. Woooow. First on Rankins Wood (I think?) and then on Salty Dog about an hour later. Blew my f*cking mind!!!

I've got the year's jumbled up in my head but favourite non-main stage acts...

John Grant in the Electric Arena/Crawdaddy in the middle of the day in maybe 2010, Young Fathers/Tune-Yards double act on Body & Soul a few years ago, Jape every single time they played... Fond memories of Villagers playing a midday set on Body & Soul one year, too. Was just lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Super Furry Animals Acoustic Bingo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Midlake in the Cosby in '11 / Mark Lanegan in the Crawdaddy in '12 / Johnny Marr in the EA in '13 are my non main stage highlights over the years.

Edit: Of course, David Byrne, and War on Drugs too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Clor, Lemon Jelly, Portishead, Beasties Boys Sunday Revue, Terry Callier, Sonic Youth, Chic '09. Few belter non-headliners there that I loved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭fourmations

44 here, first gig metaillica 1988 Top hat dun laoighaire

only doing picnic since 2012

fave moments (off the top of my head)
    glass animals, war on drugs, ride, MBV, fka twigs, animal collective, wild beasts, hot chip,
    blur were great, beck was a sleeper that was very good,
    joey badass and vince staples were new to me and great gigs
    perfume genius was stunning, fight like apes always great,
    discovered bombay bicycle club for the first time in 2012, great band
    loved David byrne & St Vincent and Johnny marr
    only discovered MacDemarco after the picnic, raging i didnt see him

Really looking forward to King Krule this year
    only got into him recently but really does it for me

cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,821 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

44 here, first gig metaillica 1988 Top hat dun laoighaire

Oooh peak Metallica. How was that?

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/metallica/1988/top-hat-dublin-ireland-3d6d557.html

20100406-130846-679198.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭fourmations

The Nal wrote: »

thats the one! yeah it was class, i was just in awe of the whole thing, hell of a band to see for first gig
    gotta love the "children must be accompanied by an adult" i was only 14 and so were my mates!
    i still remember the opening bars of "blackened" to this day
    a 30 year old snapshot that has never left me, i nearly wet myself!
    it was the good old days when stagediving / crowdsurfing was a recognised sport!

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

patch wrote: »
    I guess that’s my concerns that they might not be great live, wiped out. Hearing teardrop live will be awesome.

No guarantee they'll play it. Having looked up their previous setlists at festivals I can't seem to find 'Teardrop' on any of the last ones. Hoping they perform it at EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

No guarantee they'll play it. Having looked up their previous setlists at festivals I can't seem to find 'Teardrop' on any of the last ones. Hoping they perform it at EP.

Yeah they dropped it in February 2016 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭evani1976

But Girl Band. Woooow. First on Rankins Wood (I think?) and then on Salty Dog about an hour later. Blew my f*cking mind!!!

John Grant in the Electric Arena/Crawdaddy in the middle of the day in maybe 2010, Young Fathers/Tune-Yards double act on Body & Soul a few years ago, Jape every single time they played... Fond memories of Villagers playing a midday set on Body & Soul one year, too. Was just lovely.

Girl Band genuinely mindblowing leftfield Irish band in the tradition of fatima mansions, whipping boy and MBV . Would love to catch them. Thom yorke a big fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

evani1976 wrote: »
    Girl Band genuinely mindblowing leftfield Irish band in the tradition of fatima mansions, whipping boy and MBV . Would love to catch them. Thom yorke a big fan.

I believe they've broken up

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭evani1976

Feck...with a band that intense often happens

https://youtu.be/Yk3jWsKwtw0

Godspeed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭showpony1

Highlights from the years I've gone;

Foster the People (2011)
    Underworld (2011)
    Flume (2014)
    Clean Bandit (2014)
    Outkast (2014)
    Chic (2014)
    1975 (2014)
    Sam Smith (2015)
    Hare Squead (2016)
    Joey Badass (2016)
    Mura Masa (2016 & 2017)
    Years & Years (2016)
    S Club Party (2017)
    Mother DJs every year
    Smash Hits every year
    Attention Bebe every year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Not officially finished but I'd be surprised if they ever tour consistently again. I understand there is some illness in the band and that prevents them from performing on a regular basis.

The last few shows that were booked were all cancelled before going ahead; that was over the course of a few years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

showpony1 wrote: »

Foster the People (2011)
    Underworld (2011)
    Flume (2014)
    Clean Bandit (2014)
    Outkast (2014)
    Chic (2014)
    1975 (2014)
    Sam Smith (2015)
    Hare Squead (2016)
    Joey Badass (2016)
    Mura Masa (2016 & 2017)
    Years & Years (2016)
    S Club Party (2017)
    Mother DJs every year
    Smash Hits every year

Was at that foster the people gig. Tent was hopping!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Speaking of Fatima Mansions what are the chances of Microdisney extending their comeback gigs and turning up at EP?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

davywalsh7 wrote: »
    Yea, the atmosphere was something else. Another highlight, just for the buzz alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Stillill42

showpony1 wrote: »

Foster the People (2011)
    Underworld (2011)
    Flume (2014)
    Clean Bandit (2014)
    Outkast (2014)
    Chic (2014)
    1975 (2014)
    Sam Smith (2015)
    Hare Squead (2016)
    Joey Badass (2016)
    Mura Masa (2016 & 2017)
    Years & Years (2016)
    S Club Party (2017)
    Mother DJs every year
    Smash Hits every year
    Nice to see Hare Squead in there. They were great alright. I taught Henoc, one of the band. Lovely fella.
    So many highlights over the years. David Byrne and Annie Clark probably my number one. Touts last year were something else, Eels, Benjamin Clementine, Young Fathers, you could go on all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

davywalsh7 wrote: »

I was gutted I missed Foster the people, they played at a ridiculously early time on a Friday if I remember correctly, that was a time when I spend allot time at the tent getting to know the new neighbours + caning the face off myself, only heading in later on the Friday.

Seen them at Glastonbury, such an easy going easy listening band, 1 hour had passed in what felt like no time. Very surprised they didn't come back to the EP since.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

That was glorious moment gig and perfect way to end the festival

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Not officially finished but I'd be surprised if they ever tour consistently again. I understand there is some illness in the band and that prevents them from performing on a regular basis.

The last few shows that were booked were all cancelled before going ahead; that was over the course of a few years now.

I think they’ll be back, I believe one of the band suffers from some mental health issues but I see him quite regularly at gigs around the city. I would imagine the pressure of performing and the intensity at which they do so would be quite tough for him. They seem like really sound guys too.

If they do tour again I would encourage anyone to go see them. Quite simply one of the most amazing live bands in Ireland, if not the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    First big gig was at the age of 17 - Phoenix Park Racecourse in 1983. Sweltering heat and loads of guys clambering onto the top of the grandstand roof. No evident health & safety. Every act was class, from Perfect Crime right up to U2's glorious homecoming. In between were Steel Pulse, Big Country, Eurythmics & Simple Minds, all at their peak. A fab introduction to big musical days out.

Still surly with the parents for not letting me go to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Still surly with the parents for not letting me go to that.

I wasn't let go either. Just took off & then faced ructions for a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Few highlights there now
    2010 Massive Storm Attack
    2010 Jonsi
    2011 Death In Vegas
    2014 Foals on the main stage
    2014 Beck
    2014 Tuneyards @ Body and Soul
    2015 Ho99o9 @ Body and Soul
    2015 My Morning Jacket
    2015 Manic Street Preachers
    2016 New Order
    2016 Kano

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Must be a chance of the manics being added to the bill. Couple of years since they played and they’ve nothing else lined up here this year with a new album out, unless they’re doing a few nights in olympia later in year

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement