Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

mgkelly wrote: »
    What about David Byrne?! There is a wee gap in his schedule - approximately EP sized!

That gap is in the middle of a North American tour, not happening.

(i would love it if it did but Kylie is more likely to declare her undying love for me, if i am wrong i will buy you a pint at the event)

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

Like a fine wine

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

This is probably one of my favourite songs of all time

Mother djs always play this when they close body and soul on the Sunday night.
    It’s just the perfect end to the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mgkelly

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    So who's next for the Picnic. :)

The Valentines. Surely???
    How could I have forgotten about them?! Possibly one of my favourite gigs ever, back in the day. Superstars! They played Mandela Hall in, I think, very early 90's, at Queens Belfast. I think I still have tinnitus from then! 
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,668 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Calexico also on tour. Last date is 22 August in Sweden. If I'm right they've never played but for me an ideal Picnic act.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Paddy2012

Hogzy wrote: »
    Has anyone got their tickets yet. I purchased last September after the 2017 festival via the staggered payment option but still havnt received my tickets. Has anyone else?
    I ordered mine the same time and received them pretty soon after, I live in the UK so maybe that's something to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gthuery

Dunno if this has been said yet, but Body & Soul and Other Voices have been added to the official poster!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

I'm sure we've had this Body and Soul panic before and it always ends the same way, with no changes whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭glencurtis252

George Ezra been confirmed for main stage on EP Twitter post

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MiniFridgeMen

What stage from last year would you like to see return this year, and what one do you think Picnic could do without, wasn't a big fan of the OT Bold Motel stage, could do without that again this year

The Red Bull Sound Dome had a lot of potential and I felt was a bit of a let down, would love to see them do something similar, but better this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

I didnt get near the sound dome but I would agree about the Bold Motel, went in for a few minutes in 2016 and left. I'm not a big fan of the Heineken sound thing. There's some other one I think is logic or something that just blasts out terrible techno and should just disappear forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Stillill42

For the most part, the stages you couldn't be arsed with cater for the stuff you've no interest in. They look after the crowd that couldn't be arsed with your stuff. Which all works out pretty well, actually. The noise bleed mini areas are the only issue, and they've made their presence felt more forcefully of late. Down with that sort of thing.
    On a side note, Suede rereleasing their first (and brilliant) album Friday. No chance I suppose that they'd fancy hawking it around the festival circuit? I loved that album.

Stillill42 wrote: »
    For the most part, the stages you couldn't be arsed with cater for the stuff you've no interest in. They look after the crowd that couldn't be arsed with your stuff. Which all works out pretty well, actually. The noise bleed mini areas are the only issue, and they've made their presence felt more forcefully of late. Down with that sort of thing.
    On a side note, Suede rereleasing their first (and brilliant) album Friday. No chance I suppose that they'd fancy hawking it around the festival circuit? I loved that album.
    'Down with that sort of thing' indeed!
    I was thinking of Suede indeed. Never saw them. Be a great addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Saw them a few years back in the Olympia when they were touring it. Were excellent, even without Bernard Butler. Would love to see them added.

Saw them a few years back in the Olympia when they were touring it. Were excellent, even without Bernard Butler. Would love to see them added.
    ****, did they tour that? Thought it was DogManStar they played. Also great. I wasn't around, more's the pity. Watched their Glastonbury set a couple of years ago and they looked electric. Brett in manic form.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

****, did they tour that? Thought it was DogManStar they played. Also great. I wasn't around, more's the pity. Watched their Glastonbury set a couple of years ago and they looked electric. Brett in manic form.

They did 3 nights if i recall correctly, with each night focusing on one of their first 3 albums in order.

Was at the first 2, great gigs. Olympia was heaving.

Ah magic! Sounds amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Something random. :D

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Did Suede not play the Galway Big Top at the arts festival two years ago, I'm quite surprised they haven't played the Picnic yet.

Something random. :D

Tom Waits!
    What brought that on?!

• Advertisement

mgkelly wrote: »
    Tom Waits!
    What brought that on?!

Just stoned ha ha.

Sigrid playing the electric arena

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Rfrip wrote: »
    Sigrid playing the electric arena

Sigrid seems like a real talent only 21:eek:, will definately try to catch her gig.

https://youtu.be/hKvbaZTAQN0

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Sigrid seems like a real talent only 21:eek:, will definately try to catch her gig.

https://youtu.be/hKvbaZTAQN0

I really like her! Her recent Dublin gig got great reviews. Love don’t kill my vibe!

kg703 wrote: »
    I didnt get near the sound dome but I would agree about the Bold Motel, went in for a few minutes in 2016 and left. I'm not a big fan of the Heineken sound thing. There's some other one I think is logic or something that just blasts out terrible techno and should just disappear forever.

Sounddome was solid, just very very small and was quite compact last year, lineup was solid enough so better use of space this year would be great, I've never actually gone into the logic stage, so can't comment on it,

I actually quite like the Heineken thing, its a bit gimmmicky, and last years was kinda weird, but a few years ago they did Brooklyn and had basketball and stuff, Tom Waist (one half of the group homework) was amazing a few years back, DJ Yoda did his "Stranger Things A/V show" there, which was pretty damn good as well, some of the gimmicky stuff is very fun and most importantly the que for the bar is always waaaaaaaaay less than other bars

I guess my problem with the Bold Motel is the noisebleed more than anything else, same with the 3 power stage or whatever its called, so much dang noisebleed :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭PinkCamper

Looking for food is always torture when you have to walk through that section of casa bacardi, 3 cube and Heineken and logic. They should all be done away with, or just keep one or two and keep them the hell away from each other

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭eplady2017

While I'm not of fan of Heineken Sound Stage or Casa Bacardi I can see the reason behind them. I go for the live bands but some go for the DJ's that play.. So I can see where they have a place..

My problem with these, and the like of Bold Motel, Cocktail Cocktail etc is the noise drifting as was already said...

The worse spot for me last few years was at the Jerry Fish tent... If you didn't manage to get inside the tent then on the edges the sound was totally distorted buy that Logic place and Heineken stage. I'd love to see Jerry Fish tent moved away from the interfering noise as he always has a class line-up or better still move the other stages away from him as he has a cracking central spot there.

eplady2017 wrote: »
    While I'm not of fan of Heineken Sound Stage or Casa Bacardi I can see the reason behind them. I go for the live bands but some go for the DJ's that play.. So I can see where they have a place..

My problem with these, and the like of Bold Motel, Cocktail Cocktail etc is the noise drifting as was already said...

The worse spot for me last few years was at the Jerry Fish tent... If you didn't manage to get inside the tent then on the edges the sound was totally distorted buy that Logic place and Heineken stage. I'd love to see Jerry Fish tent moved away from the interfering noise as he always has a class line-up or better still move the other stages away from him as he has a cracking central spot there.

Yeah considering how popular JF is i'm surprised they haven't increased the size, and its sad that Logic and Heineken have impacted these spaces as JF is a Picnic staple, Casa Bacardi i'm a big fan of, usually keep their noisebleed away from other stages (to a relative degree) and their lineups are usually fantastic, twice I've seen Nicky Siano there, (one of the original innovators of the nightclub scene in the early 70's with Paradise Garage and Studio 54, a true Disco lovers dream)

In my humble opinion, and this may be controversial, JF could do with being moved into the campsite area and being made into larger area, not unlike Trenchtown or something like that, the only problem there would be i'd have very few reasons to go to the main area then haha, but it is sad to see Picnic Staples like JF being affected by Commercial Brand Stages

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

I only know one Sigrid song, the one being played constantly on the radio the last few months, but it is poison. Hope she's got something better in the tank, she has a decent voice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

I knew the names of Sigrid / Dua Lipa but wouldn't have been able to tell you any song of theirs.

Was only when I went listening to them after the announcement I recognised a few from the radio. Pretty weird bookings for Picnic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement