Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2018 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales** [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MiniFridgeMen

maximoose wrote: »
    I knew the names of Sigrid / Dua Lipa but wouldn't have been able to tell you any song of theirs.

Was only when I went listening to them after the announcement I recognised a few from the radio. Pretty weird bookings for Picnic.

I think it's a part of Melvins gender diversity quota thing (not to say those artist aren't great, or that there weren't better female artists to book) but I think they are just grabbing as many female artists as they can to get the percentages up

Seen an article today complaining that EP is only 41% female artists at the moment (way more than other festivals)

http://www.dailyedge.ie/what-2018-irish-music-festivals-look-like-without-men-3924960-Mar2018/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Stillill42

I'm pretty sure the discussion should be how do we get more girls playing guitar or drums or whatever rather than can Festival Republic squeeze some more girls in there for the stats. My feeling over the last 7 years in Stradbally is that there's a great balance.

Stillill42 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the discussion should be how do we get more girls playing guitar or drums or whatever rather than can Festival Republic squeeze some more girls in there for the stats. My feeling over the last 7 years in Stradbally is that there's a great balance.

There are plenty of talented women out there, and of course i'd love to see more people in general learning music, this is neither the time nor place to begin the discussion on Gender Diversity, but I just feel you shouldn't be going after Electric Picnic when its one of the few festivals that is actively trying to do something, as opposed to Longitude of Forbidden Fruit

EP has the all female lineup on Thursday this year, and according to the article female presence is up from 33% to 41% this year, plus has nearly always had a female headline style act (again as opposed to other festivals) Picnic is not the enemy!

EDIT : Just to clarify I meant like plural "you" as in the article and people in general, not "you" specifically, just to be clear!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 BlaaEater

These Charming Men on in Whelan's Friday April 6th. I'll consider that the official start of my build up.

The Smyths are in the Academy Green Room on April 13th...even better than TCM...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I think it's a part of Melvins gender diversity quota thing (not to say those artist aren't great, or that there weren't better female artists to book) but I think they are just grabbing as many female artists as they can to get the percentages up

Seems like a kinda crazy strategy if that is the case. They are big pop acts that presumably cost a lot of money to get to play. The only reason they aren't headliners is because they don't have much material (Dua Lipa is on her first album, Sigrid doesn't seem to have any) so wouldn't last a full segment.

Equally, there are loads of more female Irish and international bands (again, trying to leave aside judgment calls such as good v bad etc) that would probably play the picnic for a lot less than Dua Lipa and Sigrid.

Maybe I'm completely off the mark here, but I would imagine that Dua Lipa would charge tens of thousands but there are other bands who would play for a lot less.

So if they just wanted to increase diversity they could get a lot more interesting (ok, a judgment call I admit) people like Soule, Saint Sister, Wyvern Lingo, for the same price as one big pop act.

Therefore, I reckon it isn't a diversity grab so much as a genuine belief that Dua Lipa and Sigrid will be popular draws. Maybe they want to get a younger, more mainstream crowd. Maybe they figure they can't compete with All Together Now and Body and Soul for the alternative/indy/electronic schtick and so rather than compete are accepting their new role as the mainstream festival.

• Advertisement

Seems like a kinda crazy strategy if that is the case. They are big pop acts that presumably cost a lot of money to get to play. The only reason they aren't headliners is because they don't have much material (Dua Lipa is on her first album, Sigrid doesn't seem to have any) so wouldn't last a full segment.

Equally, there are loads of more female Irish and international bands (again, trying to leave aside judgment calls such as good v bad etc) that would probably play the picnic for a lot less than Dua Lipa and Sigrid.

Maybe I'm completely off the mark here, but I would imagine that Dua Lipa would charge tens of thousands but there are other bands who would play for a lot less.

So if they just wanted to increase diversity they could get a lot more interesting (ok, a judgment call I admit) people like Soule, Saint Sister, Wyvern Lingo, for the same price as one big pop act.

Therefore, I reckon it isn't a diversity grab so much as a genuine belief that Dua Lipa and Sigrid will be popular draws. Maybe they want to get a younger, more mainstream crowd. Maybe they figure they can't compete with All Together Now and Body and Soul for the alternative/indy/electronic schtick and so rather than compete are accepting their new role as the mainstream festival.

You speak a lot a sense, although i'd hate to see EP turn their back on the Alt/Indie/Electronic thing because that's a big draw for me

Solué and Saint Sister will more than likely be on the lineup anyway i'd reckon, would absolutely love to get Fehdah & Shookrah on the lineup as well, so much talent coming out of Ireland at the moment its crazy

unrelated I only just copped today that Alexis Taylor is from Hot Chip

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

I think picnic is always ahead of the game in that respect, they may not have many albums (or any at all) but they always have a good few obscure acts that are "up & coming", Sigrid and Dua Lipa will probably be quite big in the coming years.. Look over any of the old line ups, loads of acts who weren't known at the time, but topped the charts the following year..
    It's one of the best things about picnic, finding new acts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭duckdiggler

kg703 wrote: »
    Gus Ivey wrote: »
    You went to Oxygen when you were 14?

I went to Witness when I was 14 - Frames Green Day Foo Fighters Prodigy....

Stuck to the main stage, thought it was the most amazing thing ever. Took a lot of convincing of my parents but luckily one of my friends brothers was in one of the bands playing so he brought us all for free and definitely didnt let us run off the minute we got through the gates :D

Now Im 30 and will be bringing my 18 year old nephew (close as a brother) for his first festival. Brought him to Vital last year in Belfast for Muse but that doesnt count! He'll be staying with friends away from me as I will (hopefully) be in the eco camping. Bought him his ticket for his 18th. Can't wait to see what he thinks of it!
    You sir ( or madam) are a legend . :)

mimimcmc wrote: »
    I think picnic is always ahead of the game in that respect, they may not have many albums (or any at all) but they always have a good few obscure acts that are "up & coming", Sigrid and Dua Lipa will probably be quite big in the coming years.. Look over any of the old line ups, loads of acts who weren't known at the time, but topped the charts the following year..
    It's one of the best things about picnic, finding new acts :)

Perfect example is Disclosure in 2013, mid-line when announced, played headline Saturday, had only released their first album around 3/4 months beforehand, absolutely smashed it imo

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭duckdiggler

Loving the disclosures of ages , you all seem like great craic and even more so after the first EP can, Lets just say I remember going to Feile 91 etc ( not all that occurred there though...), but will be a giddy 22 year old again with the first can, had while the tent is being put up.
    Loved the last few EP's , wasn't always happy with the main headliners but so what, the undercard can be awesome.
    I had heard of Touts , a young band from Derry, as I checked out the lineups, and they just blew me away last year at 3pm on Saturday so much that I've seen them 5 times since then as an example.
    Anyone who has any doubts, don't , just go, there will be brilliant acts of all kinds who you've never heard of now, but will rave about after. 
    I'm hoping James and Ride get added ( just like at Feile 90's) Cabbage and The Blinders also and some great young new  Irish bands that there are there plenty of, there are so many of them on the go at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

Perfect example is Disclosure in 2013, mid-line when announced, played headline Saturday, had only released their first album around 3/4 months beforehand, absolutely smashed it imo

I'll never forget that set. Massive announcement before the gig about the dangerous "blue ghosts" and if you had any to dispose of them. Around 99% were disposed down people's necks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

BigMo1 wrote: »
    I'll never forget that set. Massive announcement before the gig about the dangerous "blue ghosts" and if you had any to dispose of them. Around 99% were disposed down people's necks :D

I was struggling to remember disclosure, NOW I remember :pac:

Myself and Friends still talk about that moment, Classic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭fourmations

i remember that too, fair play to them for making the announcement
    rather than ignoring it

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mgkelly

Had to Google that! For a 48y man, I'm fairly naive on the drug references! Have stayed well away from such.  Have no issues with others trying, if they want. It might explain the behaviour of some individuals, particularly some of the 'kiddies' who seem to want to talk to everyone, even a middle aged codger like me who, quite frankly, feels intimidated/freaked out by friendly young ladies! 
    I suffer from bah-humbug-ism at best of times; I just want to go to the festival, listen to the music, eats really nice food, drink lots of coffee & am not particularly enthusiastic to engage in frivolous conversation! 
    I stay away from the evil drink. Had plenty of it in earlier adult years. I can get either a) morose/tearful or b) blathery, and I tend to find the negative feedback pathway gets inhibited very early - suddenly, I've drank far too much & can't stand!
    Also, work as a healthcare person, so need to maintain decorum & be fit for work on the Monday.
    Happy for others to indulge, obviously, and it can sometimes be the cause of a rueful or sardonic smile or two to myself!

Bah-humbug...!!!
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

sounds like you could do with necking a pill :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

I think the outcome of this last week or so of outpouring is that we should convert some of the shanty area around Salty Dog into a Mens Shed project for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭haitens

I don't mind the Heineken Atlas stage that much at least it's another bar and they do have decent djs. I'm sure it's been said few times move Jerry Fish somewhere else somewhere in the forest or maybe where Despacio was a few years back. I think the reason they don't is the outside performers won't get the footfall walking past.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

mgkelly wrote: »
    Had to Google that! For a 48y man, I'm fairly naive on the drug references! Have stayed well away from such.  Have no issues with others trying, if they want. It might explain the behaviour of some individuals, particularly some of the 'kiddies' who seem to want to talk to everyone, even a middle aged codger like me who, quite frankly, feels intimidated/freaked out by friendly young ladies! 
    I suffer from bah-humbug-ism at best of times; I just want to go to the festival, listen to the music, eats really nice food, drink lots of coffee & am not particularly enthusiastic to engage in frivolous conversation! 
    I stay away from the evil drink. Had plenty of it in earlier adult years. I can get either a) morose/tearful or b) blathery, and I tend to find the negative feedback pathway gets inhibited very early - suddenly, I've drank far too much & can't stand!
    Also, work as a healthcare person, so need to maintain decorum & be fit for work on the Monday.
    Happy for others to indulge, obviously, and it can sometimes be the cause of a rueful or sardonic smile or two to myself!

Bah-humbug...!!!
    ;)

I would like to take this opportunity to apologise as chances are ive probably been uber chatty!!!!!
    Its what i love about festivals, in the Q for a bit of grub or your sitting next to a crowd and ye get chatting. Everyone is there for the same reason, im not talking exchanging life stories here but i love chit chatting to others!!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mgkelly

"I would like to take this opportunity to apologise as chances are ive probably been uber chatty!!!!!
    Its what i love about festivals, in the Q for a bit of grub or your sitting next to a crowd and ye get chatting. Everyone is there for the same reason, im not talking exchanging life stories here but i love chit chatting to others!!"
    Oh, that's ok! Fully appreciate that my approach is slightly 'odd' at times! Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a chat, too! Remember having a big chat with a guy at the Foals gig a few years back. We were saying how bloody good they were. I think we were saying that they were the new Doves! Something like that. I just find it a wee bit of a struggle when people are completely pished, & I'm not, & I am flummoxed by them! Or, if they've been on what someone else so charmingly elsewhere on the thread described as 'yokes'! What a great name! :)
    Don't worry, I'm a happy chappie really! 
    "Men's Shed" - LOL! Yes, sounds like some of us could do with it! I can serve strong coffee & we can lament & kidnap teenagers to kick!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The important thing about Electric Picnic folks is to not will the summer away, enjoy what we get of the summer too. I've a busy year ahead with doing an ETB course and getting some paid work this year at some of the events. I'm doing load in, load out work for Forbidden Fruit, weekend volunteering at Body&Soul Festival (Can't do the advance week as I'd be docked the full 200 Euros in my college payment so opting for the weekend work where I only loose the 60 Euro for taking two days off Fri and Mon). Load in, Load Out work for All Together Now and I'm supposed to be doing the Carl Cox event at Ballinlough Castle although I don't think I can do that as it clashes with the advance week for Electric Picnic, my course finishes in the middle of August so leaves me free to do the advance week. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

mgkelly wrote: »

Bah-humbug...!!!
    ;)

Funny to hear it from the other side! :D I remember so clearly my first EP when I was 21 on the Sunday night myself and a friend just went off and had a wander through all of the areas we hadn't been to over the weekend, went into Body & Soul around 10pm and couldn't believe what we had discovered.. Generally small little tents with an older crowd all dancing and having a sing along to disco, soul, funk.. I was yapping away to anyone who would listen and couldn't get over how friendly everyone was, people more than twice my age giving me cans, fags, telling me stories and generally having an amazing time.. Someone recommended Mother DJs to us who were due to start in a few hours and the rest is history. Haven't missed them at an EP since!

It was a real 'lightbulb' moment as I definitely look back to that night as the moment I fell in love with EP, I had never realised so many people liked the same music I did!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Funny to hear it from the other side! :D I remember so clearly my first EP when I was 21 on the Sunday night myself and a friend just went off and had a wander through all of the areas we hadn't been to over the weekend, went into Body & Soul around 10pm and couldn't believe what we had discovered.. Generally small little tents with an older crowd all dancing and having a sing along to disco, soul, funk.. I was yapping away to anyone who would listen and couldn't get over how friendly everyone was, people more than twice my age giving me cans, fags, telling me stories and generally having an amazing time.. Someone recommended Mother DJs to us who were due to start in a few hours and the rest is history. Haven't missed them at an EP since!

It was a real 'lightbulb' moment as I definitely look back to that night as the moment I fell in love with EP, I had never realised so many people liked the same music I did!

Ferris you describe B&S Village so eloquently and accurately, its like being there. :D

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Brilliantly put, B&S really is the heart of the festival.

The reason a lot of us oldies keep banging on about the 2005 festival is because apart from the amazing lineup, the whole festival was basically how you described B&S above!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭tfarrell

Has anyone received hard copies of instalment tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

That made me emosh!! I’d love to think it was me that recommended mother djs to you!! We stumbled across them about 7 picnics ago closing body and soul and it was just incredible. Never missed them since either.

“Letting the days go by, let the water hold me down .....”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Group hug anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 MichaelM93l

Sigrid was excellent in the Academy over the weekend. The BBC award for Sound of 2018 wasn’t for no reason, her voice live is something else. Can’t wait to see her again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Nice to see Hare Squead in there. They were great alright. I taught Henoc, one of the band. Lovely fella.
    So many highlights over the years. David Byrne and Annie Clark probably my number one. Touts last year were something else, Eels, Benjamin Clementine, Young Fathers, you could go on all night.

Are they still on the go?
    I think Chasing Abbey ripped off the hook from 'if I ask' didn't they?
    I wonder if they got a few quid out of them..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭declanleo

I went to get mdma last year and the guy had 3 ghosties left in his box from a few years back. They were mine as soon as I seen them. Cracking pills

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement