Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB connection

Options
  • 07-09-2017 1:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Apologises if this is not the right section, Mods feel free to move it if so. I have put a booking deposit on a new build in a large housing development couple of weeks ago, no contract issued yet. Got a call from the builders asking me to call ESB and switch the metre on to my name. The house won't be ready for another 3 months as per thier estimates ( roof went up only last week). Is this normal practice or am I missing something here? When do people generally do this step? I would assumed it is generally done after closing, may be I am wrong. Can someone who bought a new build recently shed some light on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 The_Sally_Gap

We are buying a new build and did our first snag last week and were asked to have it connected for the second snag (wasn't done on time for the first one), we got our contracts back a good while ago and should be ready to move in within the next three weeks. Have they said it's for your snag to be done? If not it sounds odd that it would be done before you have gotten your contract issued!

Abbooo2000 wrote: »
    Apologises if this is not the right section, Mods feel free to move it if so. I have put a booking deposit on a new build in a large housing development couple of weeks ago, no contract issued yet. Got a call from the builders asking me to call ESB and switch the metre on to my name. The house won't be ready for another 3 months as per thier estimates ( roof went up only last week). Is this normal practice or am I missing something here? When do people generally do this step? I would assumed it is generally done after closing, may be I am wrong. Can someone who bought a new build recently shed some light on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

If contracts haven't been signed then I would refuse to put the connection in your name.

I would argue that until you receive the keys, any and all electricity should be charged to the builder. It should be a simple case of reading the meter on your move in date and notifying your electricity provider.

Sounds a bit dodgy to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Abbooo2000

But sure the house won't be ready for snag for another few months. It is odd and cant think of a good explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

We put ours in our name AFTER we received the keys. Builders put a reading in the welcome book we got and we had taken one the day we moved in as well so we could agree on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭TooObvious

Don't sign over leccy until after keys have been received. If they've only put the roof on then there is a lot of fitting out to be done internally and you shouldn't be paying the likely cost for electricity usage during this phase!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Abbooo2000

Thanks for all the replies. It make sense to change name after at least contract signing or after closing as everyone else here. At least now I know what they are asking me to do is not the norm.

Advertisement