If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AV Reciever and Sub

Options
  • 07-09-2017 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi,

As per the title I'm looking for an AV amp and sub woofer - I already have the rest of the speakers for 5.1.

The room is small enough at about 3mx4m and due to its shape/layout I know I'm never going to get the best 5.1 but am looking for an improvement over the standard TV speakers.

Input wise I have sky, ps3/blu-ray, apple tv and chrome cast (all HDMI) and a decent enough CD Player (RCA or optical connection) from back in the day that I'm loathed to get rid of (not a deal breaker if it can't be used).

The key here is that is needs to fit into the TV unit we have (Ikea Besta) height is not an issue but depth is only 40cm so a more shallow amp would be better (the unit can be modified a bit to get more depth if needed).

Main use will be for adding a bit more depth to movies and listening to music (more then likely from spotify via chromecast despite my nostalgic attachement to the CD Player).

I have a budget of €500 in mind, but am willing to go a little over if needed, and also have no problem if it comes in under that.

Thanks
    Pete

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

burrows wrote: »
    Hi,

As per the title I'm looking for an AV amp and sub woofer - I already have the rest of the speakers for 5.1.

The room is small enough at about 3mx4m and due to its shape/layout I know I'm never going to get the best 5.1 but am looking for an improvement over the standard TV speakers.

Input wise I have sky, ps3/blu-ray, apple tv and chrome cast (all HDMI) and a decent enough CD Player (RCA or optical connection) from back in the day that I'm loathed to get rid of (not a deal breaker if it can't be used).

The key here is that is needs to fit into the TV unit we have (Ikea Besta) height is not an issue but depth is only 40cm so a more shallow amp would be better (the unit can be modified a bit to get more depth if needed).

Main use will be for adding a bit more depth to movies and listening to music (more then likely from spotify via chromecast despite my nostalgic attachement to the CD Player).

I have a budget of €500 in mind, but am willing to go a little over if needed, and also have no problem if it comes in under that.

Thanks
    Pete
    Hi Pete.

Thanks for the post.

If you are limited by space I would recommend the Onkyo TXL50. It's a slimline amp with a depth of 32.6cm and packs a good punch for the size of it:

http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-202345-txl50.aspx#tabSpecifications-tab?swapstore=1

For a subwoofer I would pair it with something like the Cambridge SX120, a fantastic budget sub at 179.99 euro. If you can stretch the budget a little more you can't get better value for money than the Q Acoustics 2070i at 229.99 euro:

http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-11480-2070i-gr.aspx

Before it was replaced by the 3000 series it retailed at almost double the price and outperforms all subs in that price range.

Let me know what you think.

Kind regards

David

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.