Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a good deal

Options
  • 07-09-2017 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

So I was in my LBS yesterday and thinking of changing.

I currently have a 2012 Giant Defy 3 that I would like to upgrade. I can use 2 bike to works if needed but would prefer only to use one if possible and will sell my existing Defy 3.

The shop has offered me a new 2015 Giant Defy Advanced 1 for €1500. Currently sitting in the warehouse.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/defy-advanced-1-2015

Do people think this is a good deal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The 2017 model is €2400 so it dies seem like a reasonable deal for a new OS bike.

On a side note I wouldn't mention using two BTW schemes, it's technically fraud and frowned upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭mick4_2000

Thanks for the info about the 2 BTW. Wont be doing that so :(

Can now get the 2017 Giant Defy Advanced 1 for €1919. My only issue is a friend of mind bought the same bike earlier in the year so would prefer to go with a different colour/bike

http://www.giant-cork.ie/en-ie/bikes/model/defy.advanced.1/28601/99367/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

The 2017 model is €2400 so it dies seem like a reasonable deal for a new OS bike. .

I make that a 37.5% discount. You say it's a reasonable deal. What sort of discount would you be expecting generally when buying an older model bike from a shop? Apart from the groupset which I know can change a bit, would the frame of a bike tend to change much over 2 years, apart from the paint design?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

The 2017 model is €2400 so it dies seem like a reasonable deal for a new OS bike.

On a side note I wouldn't mention using two BTW schemes, it's technically fraud and frowned upon.

OS?

I make that a 37.5% discount. You say it's a reasonable deal. What sort of discount would you be expecting generally when buying an older model bike from a shop? Apart from the groupset which I know can change a bit, would the frame of a bike tend to change much over 2 years, apart from the paint design?

I have no idea but I don't think the bikes have changed anything at all in that time and it simply a new paint scheme for each year. The groupsets and wheels are the same, there may be small changes but nothing specific to any year and you may find that due to costs, lower spec items are fitted to newer bikes than a few years ago. So the 37% discount is purely to compensate for an older paint scheme.

To the OP, if the two bikes are identical in spec except for paint jobs then go for the 2015 bike and then at least you wont have an identical bike to your mate. The bike will still look brand new and there are no stickers proclaiming its a 2015 model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

The 17 model has hydraulic discs, evident by those god awful shifters. The 2015 model says ultegra but shows 105 in the picture.. So would the 15 model be on mechanical discs? Is this a disadvantage, I've never used a disc break bike so wouldn't know

The 17 model has hydraulic discs, evident by those god awful shifters. The 2015 model says ultegra but shows 105 in the picture.. So would the 15 model be on mechanical discs? Is this a disadvantage, I've never used a disc break bike so wouldn't know

You're correct, I never looked at the spec of the brakes.

Advertisement