Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Other roles using the word 'Engineer'

Options
  • 07-09-2017 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am a Civil Engineer from DIT and first time thread maker!

Recently I have noticed just how many jobs and people claim to be engineers.

Roles including people who carry out gas boiler servicing to those who install telephones and television packages.

Do any other engineers who have studied at 3rd level for an undergrad in engineering find this frustrating? Surely this wouldn't happen in other professions such as law and medicine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

I used to. Then I realised it doesn't matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

I was raging when I saw there's some guy on Sodor who just fixes locomotives claiming to be an Engineer.
    The cheek of the upstart!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭marcus001

Its like people calling themselves entrepreneurs on LinkedIn. Apparently you can be an entrepreneur without owning a company.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭greenfield21

I think there was something a while back about making it a protected title because it is overused. Maybe it was in UK don't think much happened though. Just get chartership and that will make you feel special.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Orwellmerchant

Yes, I have a BE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Orwellmerchant

It must be great to be an authority on these matters. Thanks for all that information , have a fun filled day.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Marlay

If they are carrying out a role that could be described as engineering, then I don't see a problem in using the term engineer. It has been around a long time. Its not as if they are claiming to have a degree in an engineering discipline by using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Super hoop

I'm a gas engineer and a plumber. When people ask me what I do...I say I'm a plumber who also fixes gas boilers etc. Means nothing really...but the money is great

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Yes, I have a BE.
    Am I a Scientist if I have a B.Sc?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

What about DIT computing grads?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Wow. Nice attitude buddy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭paulbok

It must be great to be an authority on these matters. Thanks for all that information , have a fun filled day.

Well, you did ask

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭thebsharp

Life's too short to be worrying about stuff like that. You know what you've achieved, and so will anyone you ever work with throughout your career.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Roles including people who carry out gas boiler servicing to those who install telephones and television packages.

Do any other engineers who have studied at 3rd level for an undergrad in engineering find this frustrating? Surely this wouldn't happen in other professions such as law and medicine.
    It can "de-value" your achievement, indeed, but it might also point to insecurity...

Apply for chartered engineer, and then lobby through EI to ensure that more & more proper engineering qualification requiring actions require a chartered engineer. That's the only real way I can think to not devlue the term engineer.
    The other way to look at it is that all the modern engineers robbed the title from previous, proper engineers, like those that engineered steam trains etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Surely this wouldn't happen in other professions such as law and medicine.

Turf accountant, tree surgeon, social scientist, X-Factor judge.

Oh, and software 'engineer'. ;)

Concern for use of the word is just a mix of insecurity and snobbery for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Not to defend the computer scientists of DIT, but that sort of thing is often centralised now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Don't think I've ever been in a pi**ing competition thread before......

• Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I think there was something a while back about making it a protected title because it is overused. Maybe it was in UK don't think much happened though. Just get chartership and that will make you feel special.

Broken tv = "we'll send out an engineer"

Broken fridge = "we'll send out an engineer"

Broken electric shower = "we'll send out an engineer"

Broken Air conditioning = "we'll send out an engineer"

There must be 10 times more people not trained in engineering called "engineers" than the real deal Qualified engineer in Ireland. Same setup in UK & the States

Having said that I thing most people know the difference & won't call the TV repair man when they need a structural engineer :)

Dardania wrote: »

Apply for chartered engineer, and then lobby through EI to ensure that more & more proper engineering qualification requiring actions require a chartered engineer. That's the only real way I can think to not devlue the term engineer...................

That just ensures chartered engineer isn't devalued (presuming you place any value on the title currently).

I know and work with loads of engineers who aren't chartered and have no intention of bothering.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭kirving

I do mind people who have not qualified as Engineers using the title - even though it's not protected. It devalues the profession as a whole when anyone who picks up a spanner calls themselves an engineer.

Make no mistake, this type of thing directly effects your salary, because when companies are determining their payscales, "Engineers" all get bundled together.

The reason why unqualified people want to tag engineer onto their job title, is because it matters, to pay, to benefits, to recognition. They're not doing it for the sake of it. Plumbers and carpenters would be far more entitled than many to call themselves engineers, but they don't see a need because their professionalism is recognised - and they're paid accordingly.

The root cause of this problem though is Irish (and probably UK and US) society overvaluing a college education. There are plenty of satellite installers who would do a much better job than I could, and that should be recognized too.

I did hear an engineer say he could design a power station but couldn't wire a house - and that's how it should be.

Augeo wrote: »
    That just ensures chartered engineer isn't devalued (presuming you place any value on the title currently).

I know and work with loads of engineers who aren't chartered and have no intention of bothering.

Are chartered engineers not just a tarted up protectionist trade union ?

Never joined. Never taken any notice of it, whether with engineers I have worked with, for, or hired over the years.

Make no mistake, this type of thing directly effects your salary, because when companies are determining their payscales, "Engineers" all get bundled together.

Nonsense. No company lumps the photocopy machine engineer with the electronic engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

He'll be on news talk at 8:40pm this evening.

In the US, bouncers are sometimes called Crowd Control Engineers and binmen, Sanitary Engineers.

But then some folk call Donald Trump President so go figure.

Never joined. Never taken any notice of it, whether with engineers I have worked with, for, or hired over the years.

I'd agree with your sentiment.
    It's a handy way for some companies to lash out goals and objectives though for the ole annual review .......... there's enough eager beavers out there to jump through the hoops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Augeo wrote: »

CEng is more relevant to some engineering roles than others. Civil/Structural engineers and also partially electrical: it's a big deal. Also, a single CEng can merge the work of many non chartered engineers
    Other engineers don't perform work that has as large safety consequence like electronics (and I use the term consequence to say the fall out if a mistake is made e.g. building falling down, fire alarm not alarming and getting people out). 
    The value of having a CEng do this is it implies a minimum standard of engineer, and some wider accountability if they don't perform their job properly - keeps everyone on the straight and narrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

No.

Advertisement