Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Other roles using the word 'Engineer'

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

I do mind people who have not qualified as Engineers using the title - even though it's not protected. It devalues the profession as a whole when anyone who picks up a spanner calls themselves an engineer.

Make no mistake, this type of thing directly effects your salary, because when companies are determining their payscales, "Engineers" all get bundled together.

The reason why unqualified people want to tag engineer onto their job title, is because it matters, to pay, to benefits, to recognition. They're not doing it for the sake of it. Plumbers and carpenters would be far more entitled than many to call themselves engineers, but they don't see a need because their professionalism is recognised - and they're paid accordingly.

The root cause of this problem though is Irish (and probably UK and US) society overvaluing a college education. There are plenty of satellite installers who would do a much better job than I could, and that should be recognized too.

I did hear an engineer say he could design a power station but couldn't wire a house - and that's how it should be.

In the private sector at least, you are paid if you contribute positively to the company's bottom line based on the minimum amount it will require to keep you from leaving. The public sector is different, where you are paid on arbitrary things like what qualifications you have and how long you have been there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

It must be great to be an authority on these matters. Thanks for all that information , have a fun filled day.

Oh the irony. Please apply the same logic to your initial post, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭CPTM

Turf accountant, tree surgeon, social scientist, X-Factor judge.

Oh, and software 'engineer'. ;)

Ah in fairness, software engineering can't be thrown in with tree surgeons and X-factor judges! I'm not one by the way.. but it is a hard trade..
    Look up Architect and you'll find similar, but it's protected.

You mean Systems Architect? :pac:

Advertisement