Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Travel to Trade Fair

Options
  • 07-09-2017 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

I'm just wondering has anyone ever received an offer of free travel & accommodation to attend a trade fair?

The fair is in Hong Kong and I previously attended in 2016 but didn't purchase anything. I've attended multiple other fairs in HK.

The email looks legitimate & came from a person who works for the event organiser & is listed on the fairs website.

They've confirmed they only need my name & preferred flight times and they'll even book the flights on my preferred airline as their current partner is Cathay.

It all sounds way to good to be true! What am I missing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

SDKev wrote: »
    I'm just wondering has anyone ever received an offer of free travel & accommodation to attend a trade fair?

The fair is in Hong Kong and I previously attended in 2016 but didn't purchase anything. I've attended multiple other fairs in HK.

The email looks legitimate & came from a person who works for the event organiser & is listed on the fairs website.

They've confirmed they only need my name & preferred flight times and they'll even book the flights on my preferred airline as their current partner is Cathay.

It all sounds way to good to be true! What am I missing?

So they want you to do a presentation or do you run a large organisation? Hard to know but it's a little unusual. Contact the fair directly and ascertain the credentials of the person making the offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Does seem a bit too good to be true! There would surely be conditions attached if it did turn out to be legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

It does occasionally happen in some industries,. You would want to be a pretty big player though. Just make sure that they won't pay for everything and then look to be reimbursed at the end as I have heard that happen before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

If it is too good to be true, it usually is a scam. Joe Bloggs is coming from Ireland and while he has visited before he never bought anything ; let's pay his way this time? Nobody would make such an offer, how could it benefit a promoter, or at that cost level, even an exhibitor?

I’ve had flights or a hotel overnight paid as a conference speaker, but that was rare. Most conference organisers see a speaker’s slot as sufficient reward, as it brings exposure/profile for you/your firm. The better / bigger organisers will give you a present (never cash) and often it’s useless. (The worst was a cabin bag, identical to the one I used for the trip, so it would not fit inside or outside mine so I left it behind!) Best were a wine delivery at Christmas, a small piece of bronze artwork and cufflinks from Tiffany's.

At trade shows/conferences where we’ve taken expensive stands & I’ve been a speaker there never was any reward. Sometimes there has been free tickets for the conference for a couple of staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭SDKev

I agree with everything that has been said, I was very skeptical at the start but after multiple emails I'm starting to think it is a legitimate offer.

They haven't asked for anything apart from inviting me to attend the business matching event during the show which I've done at previous fairs.

While I didn't purchase anything the last time I visited this show, I have made some reasonable sized orders at other fairs in HK so I'm guessing they possibly share information.

I'm not naive and wont be providing any payment/card details, nor will I be providing too much personal info apart from my name if the booking does proceed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

If you are a confirmed potential customer and they think you will buy, then yes, many fairs will pay travel expenses. Similarly many companies will do the same.

Closer to home, I go to UK & German suppliers each year to look at collections and they will always organise flights and accommodation. Similary Enterprise Ireland will pay for USA, UK & European buyers to attend Showcase trade fair in Dublin every January.

Advertisement