Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prince George starts school

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

My sister send her kids to that school. It's a fantastic school and worth every penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

There's no girls at Eton.

That's because he'd be Eton them all out if there were.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Valmont wrote: »
    I'm not entirely sure the royal family do scrounge off the taxpayer. They own an awful lot of land the income of which is taxed at a very high percentage and they live off the admittedly large portion left over. Would you say the Duke of Westminster was a dole scrounger? Or indeed anyone in the UK who has inherited a large estate?

All this property acquired through hard work, innovation, adding value, and contributing to the the greater good of humanity?

This disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect persons of poor and mean condition, though necessary both to establish and to maintain the distinction of ranks and the order of society, is, at the same time, the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments.

That wealth and greatness are often regarded with the respect and admiration which are due only to wisdom and virtue; and that the contempt, of which vice and folly are the only proper objects, is often most unjustly bestowed upon poverty and weakness, has been the complaint of moralists in all ages.
    Adam Smith: The Theory of Moral Sentiments 1759

endacl wrote: »
    And in fairness, his aul pair seem like decent people too.

Sorry. Am I doing the 'all brits are bad' thing wrong?

:) I like William and Kate. I love looking at her pretty dresses and photos of their little kids.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I don't get the fascination. They have an interesting history but they're basically C-list celebrities at this stage. Famous because of who they are rather than talent.
    They aren't C list, they are the Monarchy, as A list as you can get. Her Majesty is a very important world leader.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

MadYaker wrote: »
    This. Yeah they may be minted and never have to worry about all the stuff that normal people like me worry about, decent career, buying a house etc but I wouldn't trade places with any of them in a million years. Imagine being famous from the day you're born and constantly being in the public eye, hell imo.

Oh god yeah. Like this is the picture of him leaving hospital shortly after his birth, nice family picture.

article-2397595-1B5DB285000005DC-122_964x802.jpg

But this is the reality of it

article-2374931-1AF5C481000005DC-42_964x637.jpg

Three days old or whatever and he's more photographed than many eighty year olds. It's a phenomenally pressurised life, a lot of privilege obviously but at the price of massively curtailed personal freedom, and not by choice.

Not a fan of monarchies in general and come from a republican background but goddammit there's such an overwhelming bang of decency off Will and Kate and Harry, I do like them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

There's no girls at Eton.

They have fannies though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

TBH, I find their tolerance of the press astounding. If the paparazzi had posted photos of my wife topless while she was sunbathing on private property, nevermind having to all intents and purposes killed my mother, I'd have a long charge sheet from decking any of them brandishing a camera near me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Oh god yeah. Like this is the picture of him leaving hospital shortly after his birth, nice family picture.

But this is the reality of it

Three days old or whatever and he's more photographed than many eighty year olds. It's a phenomenally pressurised life, a lot of privilege obviously but at the price of massively curtailed personal freedom, and not by choice.

Not a fan of monarchies in general and come from a republican background but goddammit there's such an overwhelming bang of decency off Will and Kate and Harry, I do like them.

That's sick.It's warped forcing a child into that position with no choice in how they live their lives imo. Hopefully for their sakes once the boss lady passes on they'll pick up the courage to tell the papz to **** off and they can live a semi-normal life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

That's sick.It's warped forcing a child into that position with no choice in how they live their lives imo. Hopefully for their sakes once the boss lady passes on they'll pick up the courage to tell the papz to **** off and they can live a semi-normal life.

I'd wonder how much Diana's death and the lead up to it influence their attitudes to the press. As in is it better to just co-operate and give them their shots somewhat on your own terms rather than try to run and hide.

Maybe it's easier for the ones who are born to it and just have it as normality than the ones who marry into it, though Kate seems well able in fairness :pac: It's amazing more of them don't go fully balls to the wall off the rails, Harry's the 'crazy' one like :D

I dunno, if even half the rumours about Andrew are true, he'd put Harry in the shade in terms of crazy behaviour...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

While I do agree with you there are two future kings of England in that photo, not a chance that will ever happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

George will probably follow the family tradition of going to boarding school in 4 years time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Sleepy wrote: »
    I dunno, if even half the rumours about Andrew are true, he'd put Harry in the shade in terms of crazy behaviour...

Yeah. In fairness, he wasn't the only person who's been on that flight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

He got sent home apparently for wearing the wrong trouser. Not even joking.

• Advertisement

Yeah. In fairness, he wasn't the only person who's been on that flight
    Well, there's a lot of rumours of extremely dodgy behaviour from Andrew... including allegations of underage prostitutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

Sleepy wrote: »
    Well, there's a lot of rumours of extremely dodgy behaviour from Andrew... including allegations of underage prostitutes.
    Here is a picture of prince Andrew with an underage prostitute (by her own admission):
    2465883300000578-0-Allegations_Prince_Andrew_pictured_with_Virginia_Roberts_and_Ghi-m-1_1420447321235.jpg
    But they could've played chess for all we know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I walked by a newstand with an issue of Hello magazine featuring George's first day of school on the cover. Am I wrong in think parents should shield their child from the press?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

They aren't C list, they are the Monarchy, as A list as you can get. Her Majesty is a very important world leader.

They are not "the monarchy", they are "a monarchy".

Other countries have monarchies too.

The British Queen is not a world leader she is a head of state just like Michael D.

Referring to her as her majesty on an Irish internet forum just sounds pathetic to me..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

They're c-list. Famous because of who they're born to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement