Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The question of kit flamboyance and roadie flair

Options
  • 07-09-2017 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭

Having recently begun my descent into madness with brightly coloured Argyle pattern Castelli socks and doubled down on the insanity with a set of brightly coloured mismatched shoes (hot pink and bright blue – thanks Decathlon) I was wondering what other islands of colour are out there in the sea of Castelli Ninjas and tastefully sober club kits?

Castelli-Diverso-Sock-Royal.jpg
    900-road-cycling-shoes-pink-blue.jpg?k=89a618c5774ef818d921337e7bd8a221

I for one welcome our new colourful overlords (HiVis isn’t a colour it’s a social problem) although I prefer things like shoes, socks and caps to set off an otherwise not too loud cycling kit over full Mapei on Acid madness.

Anyone else got a theory on the appropriate lack of kit asceticism?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Quite off topic, but those shoes remind me of a Nintendo Switch:

11396090-1924453751278353.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

OMG those shoes are awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,639 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

How many drivers are going to go into a ditch when you blind them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭homer911

Saw a guy wearing brown cycling shoes this morning, thought they were a bit weird..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Agree on the bright peripherals, and keeping bibs/jersey a bit more sane. I love my Galiber socks... :)

galibier-pro-lite-socks.jpg?itok=oNKIwHpX

matched to my Spuik Brios

images?pictureId=86540761&pictureSize=W640

If I'd thought of it, I'd have bought a second pair of, different colour, Brios at the same time....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Lumen wrote: »
    OMG those shoes are awesome.

My thoughts exactly. Most go look for a pair (do they come in pairs or do you buy random colours? )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

godtabh wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly. Most go look for a pair (do they come in pairs or do you buy random colours? )

The pink and blue are the only colourful option. Also come in black, white and Flouro yellow

€100 in Decathlon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

If you really want colourful shoes and some mad socks I don't think you will find any better than these.

https://malditabuenasuerte.patternbyetsy.com/shop/18608421/zapatillas-road?page=1

From what I can make out they use the custom shoe creator on the Luck shoe website to make these, so your getting a pair of luck shoes for not much more than they retail, but in some interesting colours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Hmm. There's a lot of risk at that level of sartorial flair. Get it right and the rewards are huge.

Get it wrong and it could be catastrophic...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I always go into Decathlon when I'm in France. I've an entire outfit (jersey, shorts, socks, gillet) that matches those shoes.

My current favourite clobber is Maap. I've one of these jerseys

2015-01-04-maap_0977_grande.jpg

Which goes well with some bright pink socks

MAAP-Dot-Sock-coral-black-front.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Hmm. There's a lot of risk at that level of sartorial flair. Get it right and the rewards are huge.

Less sartorial more satirical.

The aero tuck of kit selection?!

The MAAP kit looks rad.

I also have the matching B'Twin kit and socks...unfortunately so did approximately 35% of roadies in Valencia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

The missus bought me cycling gear in Decathlon last year. It didn't end well..

porqfrsocoi.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

The aero tuck of kit selection?!

The MAAP kit looks rad.

I also have the matching B'Twin kit and socks...unfortunately so did approximately 35% of roadies in Valencia
    B'twin only looks cool in a country or area where you don't have a Decathlon - I love their kit quality & price-wise but it tends to be a bit heavily branded to look good at times.

Saying that I might buy a pair of those shoes at the weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I always go into Decathlon when I'm in France. I've an entire outfit (jersey, shorts, socks, gillet) that matches those shoes.

Which goes well with some bright pink socks

MAAP-Dot-Sock-coral-black-front.jpg

My god man, how high are those things?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

The missus bought me cycling gear in Decathlon last year. It didn't end well..

porqfrsocoi.gif

Your missus is looking well...... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

Castelli-Diverso-Sock-Royal.jpg

And you could get matching socks for your golf bats :D

37086789555_4f920d688c_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Flamboyant sock deal at Planet X, 4 pairs for 12 quid (+that b*stard Planet x postage charge)

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/ZXSORB5FOR10/sorbtek-socks-pick-and-mix-4-for-a-tenner-bundle

ZXSORB5FOR10_P1.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I for one welcome our new colourful overlords (HiVis isn’t a colour it’s a social problem)
    where do you stand on dayglo cycling kit? i have a btwin cycling top that lesser informed people might describe as hi-vis, but it's just an insane shade of orange.

where do you stand on dayglo cycling kit? i have a btwin cycling top that lesser informed people might describe as hi-vis, but it's just an insane shade of orange.

Need dark skin to pull it of IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

hmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭ratracer

This thread should be renamed MAMIL X-Treme!!!

I thought it was just young lads that wanted to dress like girls these days, but I must be just an auld dinosaur 😱

ratracer wrote: »
    This thread should be renamed MAMIL X-Treme!!!

I thought it was just young lads that wanted to dress like girls these days, but I must be just an auld dinosaur 😱

Must be tough being insecure.

Don't let fear rule you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

It's a wonder that Raam has yet to post here in this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »

Or Nee!

Probably my favourite bit of cycling kit I own
    126858_3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I tend to wear plain coloured bibs and jersey (usually black/red/white or a combination of any of these) and I have 3 helmets (1 x red,1 x black, 1 x white) and my mitts/gloves all match too. My bikes are also similar colours but I only wear flouro green or yellow socks and my shoes are black/flouro yellow. My wife constantly comments on this and asks why I cant get matching socks and shoes seeing as everything else matches, it drives her nuts...I have no idea why I do it, I just like it.

Yes I know I'm contravening Rule #28 but...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »

He's a bit busy, riding the Vuelta

20176271_393707_670.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Years ago I bought about 6 pairs of converse in different colours at a discount mall in the states (for about $10 a pair!) and used to wear any left shoe with any right, never a matching pair, and it had never occurred to me to do the same with cycling shoes or socks. Might go cycle shoe shopping soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    I love my Galiber socks... :)

My favourite socks are my Galibier ones too! And they were free!

descent-cycling-socks-652x652.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

The question of kit flamboyance and roadie flair

Don’t you want to express yourself, OP :confused:

Advertisement