Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vuelta a Espana - Stage 18 (7-Sep), Suances - Santo Toribio de Liebana (169 km)

Options
  • 07-09-2017 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭

Mid-mountain. The second consecutive mountain stage will be favourable for breakaways. The peloton will complete several back-to-back climbs, including the Collada de Carmona, Collada de Ozalba and Collada de la Hoz, before reaching the final 2.5 km slope that will lead them to the Santo Toribio de Liébana Monastery, where we expect to see a spectacular finale.
    PROFIL.png

CARTE.jpg

Km 109.5 - Collada de Carmona - 4.8 km at 7.2% - Cat. 3
    Km 126.0 - Collada de Ozalba - 6 km at 6.6% - Cat. 3
    Km 139.7 - Collada de la Hoz - 7 km at 6% - Cat. 2
    Km 169.0 - Alto de Santo Toribio de Liebana - 3.2 km at 6.4% - Cat. 3

PROFILKMS.png

Live TV coverage on Eurosport2 at 1:45pm. Highlights on Eurosport2 at 8pm and 12.30am, and on ITV4 at 7pm (geo-blocked for Virgin Media TV subscribers).

Who will win the stage? 13 votes

Julian Alaphilippe
    0% 0 votes
    Rui Costa
    7% 1 vote
    Chris Froome
    15% 2 votes
    Michael Woods
    7% 1 vote
    Rafal Majka
    0% 0 votes
    Miguel Angel Lopez
    7% 1 vote
    Luis Leon Sanchez
    0% 0 votes
    Thomas De Gendt
    0% 0 votes
    Alexey Lutsenko
    0% 0 votes
    Nicolas Roche
    7% 1 vote
    Romain Bardet
    30% 4 votes
    Tomasz Marczynski
    7% 1 vote
    Adam Yates
    0% 0 votes
    Alberto Contador
    7% 1 vote
    An Aqua Blue Sport rider
    0% 0 votes
    Some other Spanish rider
    7% 1 vote
    I don't care I'm just waiting for the Angliru
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Dont forget that it was over the Collado de La Hoz that Contador launched his attack on Rodriguez in that epic stage in the 2012 Vuelta, albeit that there was 50km to the stage end at Fuente De that year compare to 30km today.

Sky and all the others will be well aware of Contadors familiarity with these climbs, so they will do all they can to insure there is no repeat of 2012.

I, for one, would love a repeat! If he goes and blows, so be it, but I don't see Contador waiting till the Angliru. Sh1t or bust.

I wonder if he might consider his retirement?
    • One more year to get a last epic win?
    • Or go now while the flame burns strongly rather than hang on till it blows out as a flicker.....?

edit. Here you go...http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/the-day-after-the-attack-how-contador-won-in-fuente-de/ a different set of circumstances happened that day and to consider a recurrence of these freak conditions, is asking a bit much, but lots of guys may be nervous about today. Hopefully Froomey too..

On the other hand, perhaps the first 80km today, on relatively flat coastal land before heading to the hills, holds a better opportunity for an ambush by Bahrain, Astana, or (less likely) Trek, compared to the expected attacks in the finale.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

You can get 5/1 on Nibali to win the Vuelta, I think that's great value looking at how his form is trending versus Froome's form. It's essentially a bet on whether Vincenzo can outclimb Froome on the Angliru by 1m16s, with a bonus that he may sneak some time over the next few days and the gap could be less going into the penultimate stage. Angliru is a savage, steep climb, one where being in the Sky Train gives less advantage then on other more even and gentle climbs of 5-6%, the last 2/3's of Angliru are all above 10%.

So unless yesterday was just a random off day, hunger knock, or something not indicative of a long term reversal in fortunes for Froome, I think there is every chance Nibali wins this race.

PROFILCOLSCOTES_3.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Maxime Monfort (Lotto Soudal) is a non-starter due to illness.

About 20 km gone, no breakaway as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    I, for one, would love a repeat! If he goes and blows, so be it, but I don't see Contador waiting till the Angliru. Sh1t or bust.

I think if Contador believes he can go for GC then he will need to make up before hitting Angliru...then it is Sh!t or Bust......

But if it is a stage wind he is now looking for then he maybe more selective and wait for Angliru....It would be a good stage for him to sign off
    Inquitus wrote: »
    It's essentially a bet on whether Vincenzo can outclimb Froome on the Angliru by 1m16s, with a bonus that he may sneak some time over the next few days and the gap could be less going into the penultimate stage.

I think he can outclimb Froome on Angliru, but he will probably need to bring the time gap down to less than an minute, even if it was just for physiological reasons

Keeks wrote: »

I think he can outclimb Froome on Angliru, but he will probably need to bring the time gap down to less than an minute, even if it was just for physiological reasons

He may be able to outclimb Froome on Angliru - debatable.
    I think the days of Contador beating allcomers on a climb like that are behind him and - just like the last time when Kenny Ellisonde of FDJ won - I don think it will be Contador, but some other flyweight climber who wins on Saturday. Maybe Miguel Angel Lopez .....

Fairytales dont happen in profressional sport.

• Advertisement

108 km remaining. 20 riders have gone 30 seconds clear. Fingers crossed one of them is Nico.

108 km remaining. 20 riders have gone 30 seconds clear. Fingers crossed one of them is Nico.

Seems not :(

Julian Alaphilippe, Matteo Trentin (Quick Step), Alessandro De Marchi (BMC), Magnus Cort Nielsen (Orica-Scott), Nelson Oliveira, Marc Soler (Movistar), Patrick Konrad (Bora-Hansgrohe), Clément Chevrier, Alexis Gougeard (AG2R-La Mondiale), Toms Skujins (Cannondale-Drapac), Antwan Tolhoek (LottoNL-Jumbo), Matej Mohoric (UAE Team Emirates), Alexey Lutsenko (Astana), Sander Armée (Lotto-Soudal), Giovanni Visconti (Bahrain-Merida), Jérémy Maison, Anthony Roux (FDJ), Stéphane Rossetto (Cofidis), Sergio Pardilla (Caja Rural-Seguros RGA) and Aldemar Reyes (Manzana-Postobón)

Visconti in the break? Interesting indeed, up there for Nibali later maybe?

...and no-one from Contadors team up there? Is that a mistake..................or a plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

8mins already....looks like sky want to conserve energy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Hope Contador and Nibali have a go on the second last climb ...and the following descent...it has to be today ...tomorrow is not as hard

Niabli needs to make back 40 seconds at least ..
    Contador also for the podium

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

No one from Aquablue either. Celebrations must have been good!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Not easy to get in a break ....its a lottery

The gap is up to 12'30" now

Read on Cyclingnews that the riders face a long transfer to their hotels but the top ten riders in the overall classification will be given a ride in a race helicopter.

That's some extra motivation for Kruijsjwijk, who is only 3 seconds behind 10th place De La Cruz :pac: :D

The breakaway have reached the summit of the first out of four climbs with a lead of 13'10"

Chaves dropped on the 2nd climb

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Am just after 8km to go today. They are going to fly up this drag towards the finish today as there's a steady tailwind. rode the finish earlier. She's tight but short. Saw Garmin hit 15% here and there but nothing on yesterday!

Gwan bertie you mad yoke!!

Bambaata wrote: »
    Am just after 8km to go today. They are going to fly up this drag towards the finish today as there's a steady tailwind. rode the finish earlier. She's tight but short. Saw Garmin hit 15% here and there but nothing on yesterday!

Ha I'll keep my eyes open for that distinctive van on the telly !!!! :)

• Advertisement

Bambaata wrote: »

Bambaata you legend! :D

It looks like Sky have just about managed to get things under control.
    Froome has Poels, Moscon and Nieve.

Here we go, could be some time made and lost in this GC finish now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Well bollox to that anyway... it would have been a head to head between Froome and Contador on the Angliru, if not for that sick day for Bertie.

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Well bollox to that anyway... it would have been a head to head between Froome and Contador on the Angliru, if not for that sick day for Bertie.

Do we know what was wrong with Bertie on the Andorra stage other than he wasn't feeling well?

The Angliru it is, so....

Contador now 1:18 off third place and 3:35 off the lead.
    Froome looks fairly fcuked, tbh...but then so does everyone else. (except Moscon, a classics rider.........who chased down and caught Contador........hmmmmm)

Added a bit extra to your post
    TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    (except Moscon, a classics rider.........who chased down and caught Contador........and is taking part in his first ever GT...... hmmmmm)

Inquitus wrote: »
    Do we know what was wrong with Bertie on the Andorra stage other than he wasn't feeling well?

'stomach problems'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Must have had a dodgy steak

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

GVA or Sagan couldn't do what Moscon is doing in this race, and they're both Classic riders like he is. Must be the best young rider in the world at the moment!

Advertisement