Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Warm up and cool down

• 07-09-2017 11:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭

What sort of warm up and cool down do people like to do? I'd typically do something like below, but interested to see what others do.

Pool Warm up:
    200/400 easy
    10*75 (25 kick, 25 drill, 25 swim)10 sec rest

Pool Cool down:
    250 hypoxic
    200/400 easy free/breast/back

OW warm up:
    Acclimatize and get breathing under control, then some fast dashes to get HR up. Don't do much land work but have seen others using bands for a good 20 mins prior to entering water.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

Depends on session that follows I suppose. One session is we do a 500,400,300,200,100. All at a easy/moderate pace. Then into 10X100's. then probably 10 X 50's

The other morning we did, 400 FC 30 sec rest -300 was easy pace then 12.5 fast, 12.5 easy in last 100

Drill:300m

2 X 150 with pull buoy and paddles- 20s rest

Then

3 X 100's at easy pace rest 10sec
    3 X 100's at med pace rest 20,sec
    3 X 100's at fast pace rest 1min.

Then repeat above after 3mins rest.

100m cool down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Nice idea for a thread, interesting to see what others do.

My pool warm up would be 500 – 1000m depending on the session. Something like:
    2-500m easy
    4x75 (25xslow/medium/fast)
    4x50 or 4x100 building pace each rep
    Might throw in some kicking/pull/drills to mix it up

Pool warm down is usually just 200m easy or whatever I feel like until my heart rate feels like it’s back to about normal. Might use a pull buoy for some/all if I’m completely spent.

OW warm up/cool down; I don’t really do one. I tend to start off a little easier until I’ve gotten into a groove and then build to whatever pace from there. Don’t really do a warm down.

Tend not to do much stretching as part of a warm up. More of a psychological swing of the arms or arm stretch! I focus on stretching out and loosening up in my initial easy swim. I do stretch and foam roll, and try to do some basic mobility work, a couple of times a week but nothing structured or fancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Pool warm-up:

throw the hands around a bit in a bid to loosen up, no idea what I'm at just copying what I see others doing!

100m easy swimming with snorkel.
    2 x 25m sculling, 25m drill,
    50m easy.

Grab the rail of the pool and stretch out the back and shoulders.

That's about it as I need all my strength for masters session!!

Cool down - usually 50m easy on my back or easy crawl.

Hope to up this now and add on a few hundred meters to up the mileage after training. I was recommended to swim when tired for marathon training.

OW :

Climb into the water knee deep for aprox 20 seconds before lowering myself gingerly down to the water. After about a minute I'm ready to go. Swim easy to the first buoy (aprox 250m) then pick it up a bit.

Cool down - none in OW, usually push on for the last bit and take a minute to get out as I'm usually all over the place with dizzyness. Get dry and dressed asap before the chill hits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

OW

Normally just jump in, head down and keep going till I hit first buoy then breather.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Freddio

Pool: 10 x 25 on 30 wu / 1 or 2 hundred cool down to humanise the fatigue.

OW: the cold warms you up as you hyperventilate waiting for your handicap to be called

• Advertisement
Advertisement