Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coffee got stoned!

• 07-09-2017 12:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭

Found a stone in my coffee grinder this morning..eek.png

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Disaster, did it make bits of your burr?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭The Gardener

As a matter of interest what brand of bean was it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

I got one in my Lidl beans back in February.
    It made bits in my Panasonic bean to cup machine so after a LONG rigmarole they compensated me but not to the full value of the machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Disaster, did it make bits of your burr?
    Luckily I don't have a good grinder, but a krups twin blade affair..but looking to get a better grinder.
    As a matter of interest what brand of bean was it?
    Arabica and distributed by life plus style gourmet llc, panama blend, sold by tk maxx..I have fired off some emails an fb messages..doubt I'll hear anything back.

I got one in my Lidl beans back in February.
    It made bits in my Panasonic bean to cup machine so after a LONG rigmarole they compensated me but not to the full value of the machine.
    Yep thats about the size of my stone..going to pour onto a plate and visibly check the beans now for when I get a better grinder..You're lucky as have been reading that normally people hear nothing back..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Same thing happened to our office bean to cup 2 weeks ago. Jammed between the burrs. Stripped it and removed the stone and all good since - no visible damage to burrs.

Beans were Lavazza Super Crema so can happen from any distributor I'd imagine. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

This thread is making a good case for the return to buying ground coffee.

In the big scheme of things , I suppose it's inevitable that stones would be found in a certain amount of beans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

I believe it is inevitable and worth checking the beans first. I presume though worst case scenario you have to buy a new set of burrs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Well I work in a big brand (don't wanna promote) coffee shop and we go through about 8 5kg bags of beans a week and in a couple of years working here I have never witnessed a stone in the beans. Haven't heard any if the other stored either.

Maybe the big brand coffee shops are worth pursuing for beans? They claim to check each beans individually and the beans you buy in a tin from them are the same beans they use. I know I'd be buying my beans from one not the big cafe's.

I imagine a lot off the cheaper option such as lidl tkmax and even other brands may not employee people to individually check the beans and that's why they charge less.

Don't give up on beans as they are fresh longer than ground. For the love of all that is wrong stay away from instant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Hate to say, when you buy cheap, you sometimes get cheap. Some of the generic stuff you get from supermarket is of shocking quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

J_E wrote: »
    Hate to say, when you buy cheap, you sometimes get cheap. Some of the generic stuff you get from supermarket is of shocking quality.

But you don't hate to say it really, that's why you're on here saying it in a condescending way looking down from your ivory tower telling us peasants not to buy supermarket coffee.

You reckon We should be paying five times the price to buy beans from a guy in a beany with a twirly moustache in a fancy packet with a description on the back that says they have an aroma of caramel and a nose of berries.

As I said I've tried it and while it's nice it's not five times nicer.

Mr.H wrote: »
    I imagine a lot off the cheaper option such as lidl tkmax and even other brands may not employee people to individually check the beans and that's why they charge less.

Actually Tk maxx dont have a generic coffee brand..They have sometimes lots of beans/ground coffee from many small roasters, stateside..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

But you don't hate to say it really, that's why you're on here saying it in a condescending way looking down from your ivory tower telling us peasants not to buy supermarket coffee.

You reckon We should be paying five times the price to buy beans from a guy in a beany with a twirly moustache in a fancy packet with a description on the back that says they have an aroma of caramel and a nose of berries.

As I said I've tried it and while it's nice it's not five times nicer.

Wow, way to shoot down an established industry. It's only truth, and no, we are not all twirly moustached guys (or just guys for that matter). Good coffee has ethical consideration, better quality, better checks.

Advertisement