Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ploughing Champions?

• 07-09-2017 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hiya

Was thinking of going to the ploughing Championships this year. Has anyone here been before?
    Is it any craic?
    Is wellies a must?:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

It's a load of bollocks. Crowd of part time farmer's acting the big-time Charlies. Real plough men have no time for arsing about in another man's field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

I'm not sure who to be up for.
    Hopefully ploughing is the winner at the end of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭Allinall

Full of young fellas doing doughnuts and drifting with their tractors.

Not my scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Like the Tullamore show but more crowded and possibly muckier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I'm a ploughing champion, just ask OP's mom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Jemma247

Pile of Sh1te then ha

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Went once years ago. Thought it was utter sh1te.

However I've no interest in agriculture so it's not really fair for me to judge. I only went to get the day off school.

In regards to wellies, depends on the weather I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The level of violence and open drug taking is appalling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It depends on what you like to be honest.
    If you like having a nose at new cars then you'd have a good time. Once the weather isn't brutal most companies leave them open.
    If you like machinery and have kids who like it they'd have a good bit of fun.
    You generally pick up a couple of free bags and pens and shopping bags off companies.
    All the major supermarkets, Banks, done deal, dennys, carrols, Brady's etc have stalls their. The shops generally have a celebrity chef cooking at certain times. There is generally a good amount of free samples at them.
    You'd find stalls selling toys(ken Black), hurleys, O'Neills sports gear, hand creams, cakes, sweets, electric/kitchen gadgets,hotels offering offers, colleges,
    You might see a few celebrities from RTE/sports people.
    Regarding wellies whenever I've being I generally wouldn't wear them unless the weather was brutal. Some people walk into muck on purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Yes, wear wellies, even on a dry day.
    It is a trade fair so you'll be checking out baling equipment and things.
    They had car stands. I must have been influenced because the following week I traded in my car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Real plough men have no time for arsing about in another man's field.

is this a euphemism for homosexual male monogamy?

I would be careful about wearing wellies if your not used to them they can be very hard on your feet and to get a have good day at the ploughing you need to do a good bit of walking. I'd generally wear an old pair of shoes/runners and boots if the weather was bad. I have never got mucky at the ploughing.
    Generally the one's who come out covered in muck are the secondary/college students who've never seen muck before so they go into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

The level of violence and open drug taking is appalling

Have been loads of times and never witnessed either.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Have been loads of times and never witnessed either.

Same just lads selling bangers near the amusements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Jemma247 wrote: »
    Hiya

Was thinking of going to the ploughing Championships this year. Has anyone here been before?
    Is it any craic?
    Is wellies a must?:)

I've been at it a few times, the actual ploughing is only a small part of it.

You have everyone from RTE to the various car companies with a stall there to there is lots to see IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭hopeso

I suppose it depends on what you consider craic to be....There is certainly something there to interest everyone, but it's a hard days work! For most of us, it's a few hours drive to the venue. The last few miles being the worst, as you get caught up in traffic. You eventually end up parked in a field that can be a considerable trek to the site...You spend the day walking around the site, and then trek back to the car when it's home time. It's worth making a note of where you are parked, and how to find your way back to your car, because it is very easy to end up walking a long distance in the wrong direction if you weren't paying attention! lol There is usually heavy traffic leaving in the evening too.... But, saying all that, I am not putting you off going at all... Thousands of people go every year, and enjoy it! As for the wellies....no, not essential, and certainly not advised if you aren't used to wearing them. However, they would be an advantage, especially considering how wet the weather has been of late. So, be prepared to have your footwear and trousers destroyed by the end of it. Bring a change of clothing, just in case............

One of those things where, a few years ago, I'd rather have stuck pins in my eyes.

Now I have a kid, these events are great, arsing around all day eating ice cream and getting a kick out of my daughter getting all excited about the noise of tractors or the sight of hens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Had to go down last year with the job. Absolutely rubbish and i'll never attend again.

hopeso wrote: »
    I suppose it depends on what you consider craic to be....There is certainly something there to interest everyone, but it's a hard days work! For most of us, it's a few hours drive to the venue. The last few miles being the worst, as you get caught up in traffic. You eventually end up parked in a field that can be a considerable trek to the site...You spend the day walking around the site, and then trek back to the car when it's home time. It's worth making a note of where you are parked, and how to find your way back to your car, because it is very easy to end up walking a long distance in the wrong direction if you weren't paying attention! lol There is usually heavy traffic leaving in the evening too.... But, saying all that, I am not putting you off going at all... Thousands of people go every year, and enjoy it! As for the wellies....no, not essential, and certainly not advised if you aren't used to wearing them. However, they would be an advantage, especially considering how wet the weather has been of late. So, be prepared to have your footwear and trousers destroyed by the end of it. Bring a change of clothing, just in case............

Apart from getting muddy it sounds like a day out at a shopping center.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Jemma247

I was thinking the same thing Freshpopcorn, i've asked a few people now & they all just talk about all the stalls. Don't think it's worth going now. Might be nice for kids though

• Advertisement
Advertisement