Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie buying advice

Options
  • 07-09-2017 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all,

So I'm looking at getting a road bike to get the fitness levels back up but it's been a bit of a nightmare trying to figure out where to start. I used to cycle on road bikes about 25 years ago (for fitness, not competitively) so the range of bikes on offer nowadays is making my head spin. I was hoping some of you could impart some of your wisdom. My initial idea was a hybrid because of the higher sitting position but the more people I speak to feel that a road bike might be a better investment as you have multiple positions and a lot of road bikes nowadays can have quite an upright position if needed.

My budget is 5-700 euro which is a lot to me but from looking I'd struggle to buy a new bike for that so I guess a second hand bike? I'm based in Dublin, 6'2' and my leg length is 34". I'm really only looking for a bike to go out 3-4 times a week for fitness. I don't have any aspirations to do any competitions etc. I'm thinking I'll need a 58-60" frame? But even that isn't definitive is it when you have to take in other frame measurements and different manufacturers measurements. I've gone to see a few bike shops but I haven't found anywhere that will measure me up properly. Is the second hand market a nightmare for a first time user? I know if i buy new I should get measured properly but my choice of bikes would be limited at my budget. The bike to work scheme doesn't apply to me by the way. Any advice on bikes (Giant and Trek seem to be cropping up a lot) or even shops would be greatly appreciated as I'm spent days trawling the internet and I'm none the wiser really. Cheers everyone.

Comments

Advertisement