Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Casual cycling, how should I dress?

Options
  • 07-09-2017 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,639 ✭✭✭✭

Folks

I have reached the time when all the kids are now at school during the day, and the idea has crossed my mind to maybe do a bit of cycling for an hour or two.

Thing is, it will be casual, not huge distances, nothing serious.

I don't have any of the gear yet, so what would you suggest I wear whilst out? I don't want to go the whole ott lycra outfit. Is there a midpoint to all that which would suffice?

I appreciate you have to wear something that can get wet, plus will likely need something with a padded arse in it.

But I don't want to look like someone out of the TDF at the same time.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you can get mountain bike shorts which would look a lot more casual than standard lycra shorts, i believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Mountain bike shorts, and any sports top or mountain bike gear.

btw Road cyclists generally wear lycra because it's the most practical and comfortable for the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Had similar questions myself. I have a cheapish rain jacket from Decathlon for cycling and while I think it's waterproof, it leaves me with sweaty arms.

Also noticed the boxer briefs riding up last night when out cycling. I had tracksuit bottoms over them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

veganrun wrote: »
    Had similar questions myself. I have a cheapish rain jacket from Decathlon for cycling and while I think it's waterproof, it leaves me with sweaty arms.

Also noticed the boxer briefs riding up last night when out cycling. I had tracksuit bottoms over them.

That's why Lycra is the right choice....if you cycle, wear cycling specific shorts (Lycra) and wear a gilllet (sleeveless rain jacket) and arm warmers. If you cycle, your going to get wet ( rain and/or sweat). The trick is to stay warm in winter and cool in summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

As a minimum, wear padded shorts or padded underwear under 'normal' shorts or trousers. I'd not recommend bib shorts, or a gilet and arm warmers, just yet - the shorts are the main thing. If you can, spend 50 euro or more on them - the difference in comfort is tangible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

+1 on mountain bike shorts with (hidden) lycra and chamois padding. Last time I looked Halfords had a good selection at a reasonable price point.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 33,639 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thanks for all the replies, mountain bike shorts look the way to go.

What about footwear? The pedals are standard ones with a leather strap around them, so no cleats.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I have to say that for cycling for an hour or an hour and a half (I'd very rarely exceed that sort of duration), I'd wear everyday clothes, and just bring a change of top if I wasn't going to be home at the end.

I'm sure the cycling-specific gear is better, but I don't find "normal" clothes inimical to somewhat longer cycles, which I do with reasonable frequency.

For pedals, I use bmx-style pedals with pins coupled with everyday shoes with rubber soles. That gives quite adequate grip. I have rain gear that rolls up into a small ball, which I bring along in a small messenger bag when I'm out of the house, regardless of how I'm travelling.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies, mountain bike shorts look the way to go.

What about footwear? The pedals are standard ones with a leather strap around them, so no cleats.

You could look at touring shoes or mountain bike ones, cleats are recessed on most of those and covered/plugged out of the box so you can walk normal and ride flat pedals with them. The main benefit is the stiff souls.

Later if you decide you want to change pedals and clip into them you already have the shoes and just need the pedals to match the cleats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

Obviously you need to dress sports casual.

• Advertisement

Would the cardigan not hold a lot of water if it rained?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I have to say that for cycling for an hour or an hour and a half (I'd very rarely exceed that sort of duration), I'd wear everyday clothes... .

Do you have a roadbike and the usual sort of saddle associated with that? I couldn't cycle any distance at all without some padding.

I use mountain bike shorts for commuting and for short spins (like you say, up to about 90 min), put on the lycra if I'm heading out for longer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Simple casual comfort is best

brighton_lady_cyclist.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Chuchote wrote: »
    Simple casual comfort is best

brighton_lady_cyclist.jpg

Cool track bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Cool track bike!

The bell isn't very euro though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

When I give up being a Fred this is the look I'll be going for.

If it was good enough for the Big Fella etc...

Michael_Collins_Bicycle.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I wear a pear of padded shorts I got for €15 in Halfords under a pair of football shorts. Then just whatever top you can wear that is going to be comfortable enough when you begin to sweat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Do you have a roadbike and the usual sort of saddle associated with that? I couldn't cycle any distance at all without some padding.

I have a touring bike with a wide-ish BBB saddle, a Brompton with a Brooks saddle and a bakfiets that has a fairly orthodox Selle Italia (originally came with the touring bike, but I ended up with it on the bakfiets because the saddle that came with the bakfiets was very uncomfortable).

I have done about eighty minutes as a daily commute on the bakfiets with two kids and some hills. Sweated a lot, but no problems from the saddle, or from either of the other two, which I've done ninety minutes on often enough.

I may be unusual in this regard, but provided it's not a very narrow saddle, I don't seem to ever suffer from saddles.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

Don't make the mistake I made in buying a cheap non breathable rain jacket.....if it's anything over 12•c the experience is not nice!I did a 50km cycle and when I got home there was literally a puddle of sweat forming under the jacket!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

tikkamark wrote: »
    Don't make the mistake I made in buying a cheap non breathable rain jacket.....if it's anything over 12•c the experience is not nice!I did a 50km cycle and when I got home there was literally a puddle of sweat forming under the jacket!

There is an argument that all materials are non-breathable when wet, and you shouldn't be wearing a rain jacket if it's not raining, therefore breathability in a (dry) rain jacket is a pointless feature.

I don't think this accounts for that fact that the armpits and chest/stomach tend to stay fairly dry while cycling in the rain.

• Advertisement

I got a pair of padded shorts the other day, kinda base layer ones with silicon grips around my thighs.

Another question, what would you wear under them? Do you go commando!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Have a look at the Endura Urban wear collection. I have the trousers and wear them all the time, rarely on the bike though (yeah, I know, that doesn't make sense).
    Two zipped back pockets and they have a great stretch (in the evenings :) )

https://www.endurasport.com/product/urban-stretch-pant/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Generally yes. It can lead to chafing otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭mp31

I got a pair of padded shorts the other day, kinda base layer ones with silicon grips around my thighs.

They are designed so that you wear them with nothing underneath

Oh-er Mrs!

It might be a strange feeling, but I'm sure I'll get used to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

Oh-er Mrs!

It might be a strange feeling, but I'm sure I'll get used to it!
    That's the big leap. Once you've done that you won't be self conscious about the rest of the outfit!:)

Jock strap is an option too under the shorts , keeps the lad in place and your bum free of chaffing. I never found them comfortable myself and just go commando but I've a pal who swears by them.

End of the day it's what ever works for you in terms of comfort and self.

Advertisement