Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League: Transfer window will close before start of season

• 07-09-2017 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭

Premier League clubs have voted to close next summer's transfer window before the season starts.

Managers have complained that the ability for players to move when the season is under way causes disruption to their squads and preparations.

But from next season, the window will close at 17:00 BST on the Thursday before the Premier League begins.

The decision was not unanimous and does not impact upon the length of the window in the Football League.

But the move means Premier League clubs will not be able to sign or sell players when their season is under way, while other European leagues will continue to allow such movement until 31 August.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41188235

Not sure why PL teams can't sell as clubs sell players to China or Turkey when the window is closed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,988 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Giggsy11 wrote: »

Not sure why PL teams can't sell as clubs sell players to China or Turkey when the window is closed.

Fine by me, let's clubs get on with their football without having their players being chatted up by foreign clubs for the first 3 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41188235

Its a BBC/English establishment thing of thinking that any rule they come up with must surely apply to the whole world :rolleyes:
    Obviously sales will still be allowed to any league that still has their window open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,488 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Turkey's voting for Christmas - how I see the Pl clubs voting to bring the transfer deadline to before the season starts. Voting to put themselves at a massive disadvantage to Europe, and before all teams will have the yearly budget confirmed (CL qualification). Insanity.

The bit about sales on the OP article is wrong, statement says sales will not be effected.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Fine by me, let's clubs get on with their football without having their players being chatted up by foreign clubs for the first 3 weeks.
    Its a BBC/English establishment thing of thinking that any rule they come up with must surely apply to the whole world :rolleyes:
    Obviously sales will still be allowed to any league that still has their window open.

I think BBC meant PL clubs can't buy or sell within the league, at least that's the only way it makes sense. Even that won't as PL window shuts on Thursday which means it's obvious no PL club can buy players.

Also few have confirmed players can be sold once the PL window shuts, they just can't buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Thats an utterly stupid decision theyve made IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,014 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Jim White is in a dark corner crying into his yellow tie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Really, really bad decision. They've just given ever club in Spain, Germany, France and Italy a full month to try and unsettle their players and make them force a move and they won't have chance to replace them. 

The only way this works is if it's on a pan-European basis. 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Thats an utterly stupid decision theyve made IMO.

I agree with Gav.

Let's assume the window is currently 3 full months. PL decide to shorten theirs to 2 months.

Neymar to PSG happens in Month #3. Di Maria goes to Barca. Barca then want to offload Turan, for example. - Now no PL club can bid for him.

It just seems like the clubs will restrict themselves massively on any last minute deals that become available due to that type of transfer merrigoround, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Brits and votes don't go well do they ?

In world cup and euro years European teams have what an extra 6 weeks to get deals sorted over English teams.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

They seem to think/hope the other leagues will follow suit. The Germans have apparently float the idea too.

• Advertisement

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Brits and votes don't go well do they ?

In world cup and euro years European teams have what an extra 6 weeks to get deals sorted over English teams.

I was going to say that too, in a Euro/WC or Copa America year, with players going on extended leave after it and possibily not worrying about transfers and the such, PL teams could miss out on targets.

I think its a noble cause, dopnt get me wrong but unless the rest of Europe follows suit on a universale date or a date similar to the English, theyve made a poor call.

Jim White is in a dark corner crying into his yellow tie.

Or worse, he'll be wheeled out for multiple deadline days spouting BS about failed last minutes bid.

Other leagues start either 1 or 2 weekends after the EPL.
    Zero chance that these leagues will agree to such an early closing window just to suit the EPL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This will end up being just the start of synchronizing windows and seasons within the UEFA zone. You wait, all the big leagues will the same.

This will end up being just the start of synchronizing windows and seasons within the UEFA zone. You wait, all the big leagues will the same.

The UEFA windows were already pretty well synched up until a few hours ago.
    Quite how you can see one league unilaterally making a major change as the startpoint of bringing them together is curious. :P

I'm also going to predict the BL will expand to 20 teams as they come under pressure to get on board the 20 side division train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

If you want to stop the crazy hysteria surrounding the transfer window they should get rid of the window. allow clubs to sign and sell players all year around.

Before the window era there was a cut off. You couldn't sign players after April iirc. Why hot do the same again?

If there was no deadline there would be no rush and then clubs couldn't hold out for to bucks in deadline day. It means clubs would be able to just about a player, take their time and recruit whenever they want.

Putting tighter deadlines means the price increases.

We already had 12 weeks to get deals done. Now it'll be about 8 weeks. It can take a couple of weeks to do a deal so it means clubs won't have as much time to replace their player. This means the price will go up.

I mean FFS they are doing the exact opposite of what they wanted. They will have higher prices and less time to recruit.

Idiots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,488 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Mr.H wrote: »
    If you want to stop the crazy hysteria surrounding the transfer window they should get rid of the window. allow clubs to sign and sell players all year around.

Before the window era there was a cut off. You couldn't sign players after April iirc. Why hot do the same again?

If there was no deadline there would be no rush and then clubs couldn't hold out for to bucks in deadline day. It means clubs would be able to just about a player, take their time and recruit whenever they want.

Putting tighter deadlines means the price increases.

We already had 12 weeks to get deals done. Now it'll be about 8 weeks. It can take a couple of weeks to do a deal so it means clubs won't have as much time to replace their player. This means the price will go up.

I mean FFS they are doing the exact opposite of what they wanted. They will have higher prices and less time to recruit.

Idiots
    I don't think the goal is price reduction. It is to do with trying to settle the squad before the season starts, so you don't have things like Sanchez/city while the football is being played.

You could still have Sanchez to Bayern or psg though.

Its still stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Crystal Palace, Man City, Man United, Swansea & Watford voted against the changes.
    Burnley abstained.

Crystal Palace, Man City, Man United, Swansea & Watford voted against the changes.
    Burnley abstained.

I'll guess Arsenal voted to end transfers full stop. It would be interesting to read the submissions from the 20

• Advertisement

It'll make little difference. It'll just make clubs get their deals done earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Burnley abstained.

Thanks, I was really curious about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Why would Burnley abstain? Was it too difficult a question for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

So they should cancel Jan window also as the whole point is no transfers once the season is started?

Burnley abstained.

I would have assumed Chelsea would have voted against it, there was a stat doing the rounds a few weeks back, that no other team in recent years has done more business after the first game of the season than Chelsea, we do love a panic buy. :o

I don't think the goal is price reduction. It is to do with trying to settle the squad before the season starts, so you don't have things like Sanchez/city while the football is being played.

But they could have easily just had a gentleman's agreement or ban on transfers between English clubs after the first game.

As for getting the team settled it still changes nothing. You are already able to do business early and have your team ready. If you buy a player on the new deadline day they will only have two days to "gel".

Only way it could work is if it was a UEFA decision.

UEFA already control the fact that the summer transfer window can only be open June July August and January. They could have easily made it Europe wide to disclude August

UEFA already control the fact that the summer transfer window can only be open June July August and January.

This doesn't seem accurate as many UEFA leagues have an open transfer window outside these dates, i.e., Scandoland includes March, Scotland has a few days in September, Russia and some other Eastern European leagues use February.
    They could have easily made it Europe wide to disclude August

Always worth remembering that UEFA have to run these things by the EU first, as was the case with the original concept of transfer windows. What is best for clubs may not be best for players and UEFA likes their workers right (we sometimes forget that not every player is a multi-millionaire). So its not necessarily a case of UEFA being 'easily' able to do something.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/sep/08/premier-league-transfer-window-close-early-rest-of-europe
    Clubs in Serie A, Ligue 1 and the Bundesliga appear to be in favour of closing the transfer window early although La Liga may not be keen to push through changes

This doesn't seem accurate as many UEFA leagues have an open transfer window outside these dates, i.e., Scandoland includes March, Scotland has a few days in September, Russia and some other Eastern European leagues use February.

OK I actually remembered something about UEFA talking about regulations around when transfer windows were allowed to be opened. I tried to fund it there but can't. It was some time ago though.

But.....

On searching I came across a wiki page about transfer windows (I'm not posting a wiki link because it's not infallible)

It mentions that it's a FIFA directive that each association can choose their own windows. They can have one long window between seasons which can last no longer than 12 weeks and one short window midway through a season which can last no longer than 1 week.

So firstly FIFA could easily reduce the 12 weeks to 8 without much hassle.

Secondly I am sure they could push for the window to be shut in August and still allow associations to open and close when they want providing they are closed by August. It would be a roundabout way of forcing the issue but it would be good fortune game to sync the European leagues anyway

• Advertisement
Advertisement