Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underground Tunnels in Dublin

• 07-09-2017 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I've recently become fascinated by all of the stories that I've been reading about underground tunnels and passageways in Dublin. TCD and Dublin Castle keep coming up on threads, but I haven't found anyone who can tell me how to access them. I would seriously appreciate anyone who knows anything about these. Thanks a million!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Most entrances are locked or blocked up. There are a number of reasons I would stay away from the tunnels unless your with someone that knows them. A number of them have caved in and others are very unstable, some are flooded, others are used by homeless/drug users and also a good chunk of the tunnels and catacombs under the city are used for telecommunications.

If you looks closely behind the O'Connell monument on O'Connell street, just behind it there is a metal ground plate like a large rectangle manhole and then further back there are multiple ground coverings surrounded by bollards and then just past that there is a exhaust/vent for heat, as a lot of the telecommunications equipment is located here for the city centre.

Also with all that, it's very easy to get lost.

If you still want to go though have a read of the below, not sure how true they are.
    But more interestingly there are tunnels running from Trinity up towards RCSI and around the place. They were used for smuggling corpses during the 'old' days. And probably up until the 90s for all we know. The campanile in Trinity also has a massive door behind one of its 'legs', the doors about a foot thick. There's also a secret passage way behind the skeleton of the Elk in the Museum building.

Air Raid Shelter maybe: http://www.fantasyjackpalance.com/fjp/photos/kf/history/0code/oconnell-street-view-south.html

Advertisement