Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life after Arts

Options
  • 07-09-2017 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Im currently in my third, and last year of my Arts Degree. I'm doing a major in geography, I picked this course mostly because I had no idea what I wanted to do and geography was the subject I enjoyed most in Secondary School.

I always thought Secondary School teaching was what I was going to end up doing but now I don't like the idea of that much. Because of this, I have no idea what to do as a postgrad.

Right now, I really like the climate, environmental and GIS modules I'm doing, So If my job was geography related I would like to do something in these areas, obviously money is an important issue too. Although I didnt do business, I quiet like the idea of something business or law related also. Ive been looking at Environmental law course and they have interested me a lot but I realize the pathway into this will be long and awkward! I also plan on doing the TEFL course, mainly to teach abroad, just for the experience.

Ultimately, Im looking for ideas, personal experiences and options for me to do, hear what others did after their Arts degree and hopefully spark some ideas of my own!

I dont mind going abroad/going the long route to get to a certain area!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

OP, my degree was also in geography, although I minored in it, with a major in philosophy. Ironically like you my best subject in school was geography, and I went to college planning to train to be a teacher. Didn't work out that way!

Since graduated from my degree (2004) I have worked as a care staff, a researcher and a social policy officer. I have continued to study, because well, a philosophy and geography degree doesn't really qualify you for much. I decided to retrain as a social worker after a year of being unemployed/ working as a basic care staff after graduation. I did a H.Dip in Social Policy in order to convert my arts degree to a social science degree for the purposes of getting onto the Masters in Social Work. After graduating from that, there were no jobs at all (HSE hiring freeze, I graduated in June of 2008. How's that for timing?). Worked as a researcher for a few years on v basic pay, was also studying for a PhD but ended up writing it up as an M.Litt. After graduating from that I got a policy officer position on JobBridge which led me to my current role as a Policy & Research Officer with a charity organisation. I'm just about to start a Doctorate in Social Science to help me move up and across in the sector, possibly into academia or pure research- not sure yet but there's not much further I can go, career-wise without it.

Arts is a great basic degree in lots of ways, but 99% of the time, you need to complete some further study, which I know you have in mind. Hopefully someone can come along with more direct experience in the physical geography side of things!

Advertisement