Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small PC for the Missus

Options
  • 07-09-2017 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

The missus has been using the PC for years alongside me now but as she has a multitude of files all over the place and bookmarks in the browser etc it's not so simple to just do a clean install of Windows anymore. To that end I was thinking it'd be ideal to get her a small system which she can use for her own needs which amount to: social media, web browsing and the odd movie playback. Power isn't a priority as her needs are light. I can plug it into the existing monitor and will sort out a separate KB + mouse.

Any suggestions for something which meets her needs but is a small system, such as the below:

http://www.adverts.ie/desktops/acer-aspire-revo-r3600/13467750

http://www.adverts.ie/desktops/intel-nuc5ppyh-perfect-kodi-box/13402355

Budget is around the €200 mark.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

2nd one is a nice little machine and would be perfect - first one is ancient and totally unsuitable for virtually anything these days, even browsing the web would be painful!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'd take that NUC, SSD will make a world of difference (even on a slow CPU).
    Decent price for it too.

It got a good review <here>.

An ex-business machine could be good too (easier to fix), e.g. Lenovo Thinkcentre M92P, i5-3470.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

I've owned a NUC for a few years, and love it. It's small, it's quiet, you can even hook it to the back of a monitor, provided the monitor sits on its stand and the VESA mount is accessible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Or you could put separate profiles or even a dual boot on the existing machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Or you could put separate profiles or even a dual boot on the existing machine?

Ah I think at this stage her own little machine is probably the way to go. Thanks for the suggestion though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement