Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord told us he was selling the house, ten days after leaving its up for rent

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Donal55 wrote: »
    I'd say their ex landlord is hoping they 'move on'.
    I'd be more inclined to get even with him and pursue it to the end.
    Different horses for courses I suppose.

I get what you're saying. After all as the expression says 'why take it up the...' well you get the idea :pac:

It's just that if the op or anyone else in similar situation were to make a report they'd have to fully accept that it could take years and potentially go no where.

If they do then crack on. But you know yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I get what you're saying. After all as the expression says 'why take it up the...' well you get the idea :pac:

It's just that if the op or anyone else in similar situation were to make a report they'd have to fully accept that it could take years and potentially go no where.

If they do then crack on. But you know yourself.

Maybe we should just withdraw all tenants rights.

Ginger83 wrote: »
    Maybe we should just withdraw all tenants rights.

You know yourself :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

Nabber wrote: »
    is it possible that the house was bought by a cash buyer.
    The estate agent and an investor could have an agreement, whereby the investor is notified when a certain area comes up for sale.
    House goes up for sale, investor offers cash on day 1, house is sole, investor tells estate agent to begin renting.

I'm not saying that is what happened to the OP. But I don't see why that couldn't happen.

I don't know what happened but this is absolutely something that could have happened. Gut feeling tells me that he still owns he house though. I don't know why but he strikes me as too cute a fella to sell when he could earn indefinitely from it.
    Hey op.
    Only my two cents....
    While this sucks what happened, and it really does, I would just move on.

Anything that could come about from making a compliant would take forever and even IF at the same time.

All in all if you do decide to report just be ready for a negative outcome you know yourself.

If it was me myself that was ousted I would have and just chalk it up to greed, but it wasn't just me though. I just don't want to leave it go. If he rode roughshod over the rights of me and mine then surely he deserves some comeuppance? The lady I spoke to in Threshold said that It wouldn't take years but rather months to be resolved so I am optimistic that it won't drag on forever. I'am not out for compensation or anything like that I just want him to feel the sting of inconvenience and maybe see that he can't screw people over. Lastly he owns several houses in the area and I fear he may do the same to those. If even one of those people sees this thread or that he was investigated by the RTB then that might save someone some hassle.

tim3000 wrote: »
    I don't know what happened but this is absolutely something that could have happened. Gut feeling tells me that he still owns he house though. I don't know why but he strikes me as too cute a fella to sell when he could earn indefinitely from it.

If it was me myself that was ousted I would have and just chalk it up to greed, but it wasn't just me though. I just don't want to leave it go. If he rode roughshod over the rights of me and mine then surely he deserves some comeuppance? The lady I spoke to in Threshold said that It wouldn't take years but rather months to be resolved so I am optimistic that it won't drag on forever. I'am not out for compensation or anything like that I just want him to feel the sting of inconvenience and maybe see that he can't screw people over. Lastly he owns several houses in the area and I fear he may do the same to those. If even one of those people sees this thread or that he was investigated by the RTB then that might save someone some hassle.

Any update OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    yeah but what actually happens to the landlord? He can just ignore the RTB can't he. Do they have any teeth?

If you win a case at the Tenancy Tribunal then the RTB issue you an Order which will state the compensation owed and allowing the other party 28 days to pay up. If they do not pay after 28 days then the Order is enforceable in the Circuit Court. Because Circuit Court costs are so high a losing party would be insane to let it go there - they would find themselves on the hook for the original compensation order and then their own legal costs and the costs of the plainfiff bringing the case. So a 3 or 4k compensation bill can quickly turn into 10-12k bill if they do not pay up.

If they still refuse to pay up then there are other options including getting a judgement mortgage on their property, an attachment order on their wages, listing them in Stubbs Gazette (meaning no bank will lend to them again which is serious stuff for most people) or getting the Sherrif to sell their assets to the value of your compensation. Most cases never get that far and one or two solicitors letters to them threatening proceedings and making clear there will be an application to the Court to pay your legal costs should make them pay up.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

Ginger83 wrote: »
    Any update OP

Well I have let this slide of late, the only real update is that the house is still vacant but some of the exterior has been repainted. This is likely in anticipation of the date on which the house can be re-let on. I haven't given up don't worry I am waiting for the house to be let before I act as then He will be in breach of first refusal rights. But rest assured I will be acting on this and I will update this accordingly, its just life has gotten in the way lately.

Thanks for keeping interest though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Reati wrote: »
    The only reasonable action here is to burn the house down with 400 euro of petrol...

Joking aside, what outcome do you want from this? Yes it's ****. Yes, it's not right or fair but it's kinda done and dusted. The best you get out of this is a feeling of getting the last laugh I guess?

Ya, let the person breaking the law get away with it. It's sure to stop at some point. Don't be so bigoted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

tim3000 wrote: »
    Well I have let this slide of late, the only real update is that the house is still vacant but some of the exterior has been repainted. This is likely in anticipation of the date on which the house can be re-let on. I haven't given up don't worry I am waiting for the house to be let before I act as then He will be in breach of first refusal rights. But rest assured I will be acting on this and I will update this accordingly, its just life has gotten in the way lately.

Thanks for keeping interest though

Sorry about what's happening here, have you applied to be a tenant, and does the landlord have your contact details?

I'm just a bit wary that all of these guessing games has been going on without actually speaking to the owner and seeing what happened here.

I'm always in favour of keeping communication open.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭rossmores

You should move on you did have a below market rent for several years as you state the rent only increased once so your LL was not gouging you.
    You did go quietly are you on here to suggest others should over-hold and get some entitlement.
    Begrudgery is not a path to happiness and success in life.
    It sad that renters are been pitched against LL but there are those still paying recession rents protected by government temporary measures and they been the main beneficiaries this makes a recession rent a commodity of value to a tenant at the expense of the LL who will is equally entitled to protect his investment against any future changes in rental laws being played to a populist audience the hard cases should be housed by the state…
    I am a renter in another jurisdiction and a LL in an RPZ as a renter I don’t begrudge my LL I am paying for a service the 2 months dep is insurance for potential damage
    Today I will view 2 properties in the same area next month I will decide on another 1 year ext and will only pay market rent so it will be lower if the LL want to continue. there is only one other option "to own" no entitlement option here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Some of the posts in here are laughable, the landlord is in the wrong, it's black and white.

Any update

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Polar wizard adventure

Yes an update would be good.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Yes an update would be good.

Its not a soap opera.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement