Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blanchardstown shopping centre expanding

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Any link for the PP? Seems unusual as there's a few few empty shops tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Any link for the PP? Seems unusual as there's a few few empty shops tbh...

Also traffic is already a nightmare there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

An application went in on Monday (FW17A/0147)
    The application site relates to the The Red Mall area of the Blanchardstown Centre including exisitng unit numbers 183-184, 185,188, 189,190, 191, 191A, and 196 on Level 1 and existing unit numbers 188, 189 190, 217,219-221, 222 and 500 on Level 2, and includes the existing service yard and part of the surface car park. The proposed development involves the demolition of the internal and external walls, service yard walls and associated structures, to provide for an extension of the Red Mall over two levels , resulting in a total addition GFA of 3,359 sq.m with a plant area and 21 sq. m plant room proposed at roof level. The proposal results in an additional gross retail area of 2,270 sq.m consisting of 1,066 sq. m at Level 1 (Units 184,185 and MSU (Medium Sized Unit) and 1,204 sq. m at Level 2 (Units 181,216,276-289 and MSU) and includes an extension of the internal mall at Level 2 to connect to the existing Cental Mall. The proposal removes the exisiting service yard area to provide a MSU retail unit, with external signage proposed on the north-east and south-east elevation. The service yard is proposed to be relocated north west of the proposed MSU and will include a switchroom, substation, bins and storage units. The proposal involves the removal of 55 no. car parking spaces, the provision of 26 no. bicycle parking spaces and associted landscaping works and boundary treatments, and the provision of 1 no. electric car chargin station.
    But this is only 36k sq feet, not the 100k or 40k mentioned in the article.

This might be in addition to the changes mentioned back in May. I think that they involved making some upstairs units (around Newbridge Silverware) into two storey units.

Edit: This Views document shows how it might look from the outside.
    As I read the whole document it is shows that units at the M&S end will be moved around to allow for the construction (it mentions 5 phases of development). Wow!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Doesnt look great should be going alot higher and more contemporary design

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

And sure to be more Handbags and Shoes shops - the variety of shops has gone down sharply past few years (speaking as a bloke) - it will be as bad as Dundrum eventually.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

They'll have to do something with parking, probably another layer or so on the multistory.

I agree about the shop selection, be nice to have tesco/iceland or even an aldi. After that personally would love a plus sized mens clothes shop

I won't hold my breath as the one most obvious thing is still missing after ten plus years, a food court!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

jeffk wrote: »

I won't hold my breath as the one most obvious thing is still missing after ten plus years, a food court!

Nandos, Eddie Rockets, Subway, Milanos, Dante Pizza, TGIs,, KFC, Captain Americans, two McDonalds, Burger King, Ginzeng, Kays, Wetherspoons, etc... already a lot of options in and around the centre itself. Not sure what else you need to squeeze in,

Nandos, Eddie Rockets, Subway, Milanos, Dante Pizza, TGIs,, KFC, Captain Americans, two McDonalds, Burger King, Ginzeng, Kays, Wetherspoons, etc... already a lot of options in and around the centre itself. Not sure what else you need to squeeze in,

A shared seating area to sit at... so we can pick and mix when in a group.

eg. Like the food court in Liffey Valley, Dublin Airport and countless other malls Ive been to.

Aside from a food court- something techy to replace PC World in the main mall would be good - a gadget shop- an apple store (compu-b is NOT an apple shop) and a hifi store, a permanent toyshop and a sweet shop all all noticeably absent from the main central store and relegated to the outdoors strip across the road.

Maybe if there was a dry tunnel to connect them....

“Roll it back”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

ozmo wrote: »
    an apple store (compu-b is NOT an apple shop)

As well as the on-going 'will there ever be an Apple store in the Republic of Ireland?' debate, if there was to be one, I doubt Blanchardstown SC would be their preferred location for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_court

Basically what ozmo said.

Go to liffey Valley to see one, or smaller version in pavilions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

The end past Debenhams is pretty much all controlled by Dunnes who have been raising rents. The sweet shop that was there was owned by someone i know and they just couldn't justify the double rent increase. I also know the jeweller that closed recently...same story.

I agree with the food court...when thinking about it I do tend to pick n mix with friends in liffey valley. My parents love harry ramsdens so go over there a fair bit.

I haven't looked at the proposal but I'd prefer to see the centre going up...a la dundrum...rather than out. Already it's a car drive if you want to go to next and tk maxx, for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

ozmo wrote: »
    A shared seating area to sit at... so we can pick and mix when in a group.

eg. Like the food court in Liffey Valley, Dublin Airport and countless other malls Ive been to.

Aside from a food court- something techy to replace PC World in the main mall would be good - a gadget shop- an apple store (compu-b is NOT an apple shop) and a hifi store, a permanent toyshop and a sweet shop all all noticeably absent from the main central store and relegated to the outdoors strip across the road.

Maybe if there was a dry tunnel to connect them....

Compu-b is closed down anyway.

January wrote: »
    Compu-b is closed down anyway.

No way - really? Another tech shop lost :eek:

There is an Apple Store in the small Victoria Shopping mall in Belfast -They say they cannot find a high enough profile place for them in all of the Republic of Ireland - is a market of 17.2 Million visitors a year to Blanchardstown (2016 data) not enough?

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

As well as the on-going 'will there ever be an Apple store in the Republic of Ireland?' debate, if there was to be one, I doubt Blanchardstown SC would be their preferred location for it.
    Agreed, if it was going into a centre, (as much as I'd welcome it, i'd say it's doubtful), it'd be in DD and not Blanch.

Advertisement