Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excess Broadband Usage Charge

Options
  • 07-09-2017 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi, 

A member of the team might be able to assist me with something. I received my monthly bill on Monday. It included a €100 charge for excess broadband usage. I ended up speaking with an Eir customer service supervisor later that day. After much discussion it was agreed that the fee would be waived as a once off goodwill gesture. 

However, when i check the myeir app it still shows the €100 charge as owing. Would somebody mind please checking this for me? I'm not sure how up-to-date or accurate the app actually is.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭eir: Adam

henryhenry wrote: »
    Hi, 

A member of the team might be able to assist me with something. I received my monthly bill on Monday. It included a €100 charge for excess broadband usage. I ended up speaking with an Eir customer service supervisor later that day. After much discussion it was agreed that the fee would be waived as a once off goodwill gesture. 

However, when i check the myeir app it still shows the €100 charge as owing. Would somebody mind please checking this for me? I'm not sure how up-to-date or accurate the app actually is.

Thanks.
    Hi there,

Thanks for getting in touch. If you PM me your account number and full name I'll check on this for you. If a charge is removed from an account, it won't be reflected on my eir until your next bill is issued. 

- Adam

• Registered Users Posts: 2 danny777

Hi to anyone with this excess charge problem

After joining eir in December 2017 I first noticed a problem with my bill at the end of April when a 100 euro was added as an out of bundle charge for excess broadband usage. This obviously caused me some dismay as all of the advertising I was looking at prior to switching was telling me that the broadband package was unlimited. Turns out that the advertising is a complete lie the unlimited broadband is actually limited to 1 TB, after checking on the providers website chats it transpires that if you want truly unlimited broadband then you should switch provider to VIRGIN as they have confirmed that they have no cap. 
    By the way the bill I received at the end of May also had a 100 euro excess usage charge so now i will be popping up the eir store to exit and move my account back to Virgin with whom I never had a problem. I would add that I went n chat on the eir web site where I was completely frustrated by a guy at the other end just repeatedly reading from their customer service script.
    Bottom line is if their top line advertising is subverted by hidden clauses within their terms and conditions you just cant trust these guy. By the way at a time when 4k content streamed from Netflix can consume between 4gb and 7gb per hour according to a website analysis I read and file sizes for things like games are becoming enormous 1 TB wont get you as far as you might think.   

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

danny777 wrote: »

After joining eir in December 2017 I first noticed a problem with my bill at the end of April when a 100 euro was added as an out of bundle charge for excess broadband usage. This obviously caused me some dismay as all of the advertising I was looking at prior to switching was telling me that the broadband package was unlimited. Turns out that the advertising is a complete lie the unlimited broadband is actually limited to 1 TB, after checking on the providers website chats it transpires that if you want truly unlimited broadband then you should switch provider to VIRGIN as they have confirmed that they have no cap. 
    By the way the bill I received at the end of May also had a 100 euro excess usage charge so now i will be popping up the eir store to exit and move my account back to Virgin with whom I never had a problem. I would add that I went n chat on the eir web site where I was completely frustrated by a guy at the other end just repeatedly reading from their customer service script.
    Bottom line is if their top line advertising is subverted by hidden clauses within their terms and conditions you just cant trust these guy. By the way at a time when 4k content streamed from Netflix can consume between 4gb and 7gb per hour according to a website analysis I read and file sizes for things like games are becoming enormous 1 TB wont get you as far as you might think.   

If you're burning up 33 Gb a day you are watching too much TV

• Registered Users Posts: 2 danny777

Just a quick follow up to my ongoing issues with eir I just arrived home from the eir shop where I detailed my problem with the limited unlimited data usage and the 200 euro I no longer own due to these charges (I miss every one of the 200 euros they were my favourites). During my time in the store I asked the guys there did every provider operate a fair usage cap to which they replied yes, I asked did Virgin apply a fair usage cap and again the answer was yes. I pointed out the screen grab where earlier the Virgin agent had stated that they had no fair usage cap and the guys seemed taken aback.

I asked the guys how they felt the good people at Virgin would feel if they knew that eir staff were misrepresenting their product offering, they said they didnt know.

Bottom line you cant trust eir advertising a it tells lies and you cant trust what the in store staff tell you either (I make no judgement on whether the staff are instructed to give untrue information or they are just ignorant of the real details of competitors product and service offerings). 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

danny777 wrote: »

Hi danny777, 

I understand your frustration here and I'm sorry to hear you will be leaving us.  

We do apply the fair usage policy to all our customers on this service and this is stated within our terms and conditions. 

Unfortunately, I would be unable to comment on another service providers policies. I'll be sure to pass this feedback on from the store to the relevant team. 

Apologies for all inconvenience caused. 

Thanks 

Tracey  

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I’ve enough of this farce with Eir, and I’ll be off as soon as my contract is up in November. They can’t provide any idea of times of day when the data is being used. I’ve checked with faults and customer service and neither can see any usage patterns, outside what I can see myself on the dashboard, which is wrong There are others out there offering no caps, so off I go.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 WhiteSpoofer

I’d say they’ll miss you like a hole in the head.

Advertisement