Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edision OS Mega EPG question

• 07-09-2017 8:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭

Lads I'm eyeing up the Edision OS Mega but before I take the plunge, is it possible to have the EPG show Saorview/Freesat together and can you reorder the channels so they start with RTE 1 etc and then go to the UK channels in a user-defined sequence?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭O'Prez

Excellent. Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

I got this box yesterday and spent a few hours setting it up today. The easiest way to get the proper channel order on the epg is to use a pc. Find the iP address of the box, and type it into the browser, eg, 192.168.0.135. There is a bouquet editor on the Web interface that works really simply and well.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Pininfarina

Agree entirely with Ken. If you want to go a step further, get a program called echannelizer and run it on a PC on the same network as the enigma box. This was suggested to me by a kind person on here and it was a revelation.

Thanks lads. Very helpful information. I currently have a Humax and Triax for Freesat and Saorview respectively but would like a one box setup. Can the blue button on the remote be used to scan through favourites in the same way as a Sky box?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Yes if you press the blue button whilst in the channel list to pull up other favourite groups you have set up.

There are a few free pc/laptop channel editors.

Dreambox bouquet editor https://dreamboxedit.com/
    E-Channelizer http://www.echannelizer.com/

You dont even have to scan. These programs download all the channels for the particular satellite(s) that you use.

You then set up FAV Groups within it and drag and drop into each and you can re-order within each fav group. Infact you can save the whole lot to your PC and update it on your PC from time to time. You then zap with back to the box by using Send to Box function whiich sends it from your PC to the Box as both are connected to your router and are on the same LAN.

I use a main FTA list that mixes both my Saorview and FTA UK channels. The GUI (menu design) are changeable depending on the "skins" you use. This is the Sky look alike. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99690313&postcount=128

Also you can change what your buttons do. So you can program any button to do whatever you want.

Thanks for that. This box keeps sounding better and better. I suppose Dave at freetv is the go-to guy for purchasing. With that said, is it easy enough to replace his "free tv" startup screen with something else?

Yes of course.

Its commonly referred to as a splash screen.

The reality of it is that its a bitmap renamed as splash_cfe_auto.bin.

It expects a 24 bit bmp with a resolution of 700 x 480. You put it on a usb stick and flash it as if you were flashing firmware. Or you can ftp it to etc/enigma2. That way it'll never be written over.

You'll probably find its cheaper on the net. 185 euro from world of sat WOS. If you have a parcelmotel address the postage is E3.95 as WOS deliver free to NI addresses AFAIK.

https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/edision-os-mega-osmega

Thanks STB. Looks like I can turn this box into a custom piece of kit.

Absolutely.

You can fit an internal HDD, network it, install plugins (like the one for RTE Player -called On Demand). E2 boxes are fully customisable from images made for them by Openvix, OpenATV etc.

If its your first e2 box, then you'll just have to figure out the hows and whats, but its not brain surgery.

Just remember that nearly all e2 boxes behave the same, even though you cant interchange firmwares. So the answers to your questions will be the same and theres lots of people using e2 boxes in the satellite forum. Just dont mix up sh4 boxes (amikos) with real e2 boxes as that'll only confuse you.

• Advertisement

STB. and the other lads that have taken time to reply and help, thanks a lot. I was half expecting responses with undertones of annoyance as it will indeed be my first e2 box so you've all been a breath of fresh air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

O'Prez wrote: »
    STB. and the other lads that have taken time to reply and help, thanks a lot. I was half expecting responses with undertones of annoyance as it will indeed be my first e2 box so you've all been a breath of fresh air.
    On the contrary, many of us here started as totally newbies so we know what it's like. The whole foundation of these forums is the sharing of knowledge and experience. I have long since lost track of the many good citizens of Boards who helped me out over the years to whom I will be forever grateful.

On the contrary, many of us here started as totally newbies so we know what it's like. The whole foundation of these forums is the sharing of knowledge and experience. I have long since lost track of the many good citizens of Boards who helped me out over the years to whom I will be forever grateful.

I hope by saying that I didn't sound a bit bollicky! I've had the kind of responses I alluded to in other forums where people "lol" at some of the questions but ye're all a sound bunch. I have another question now! I have an Ariva 250 which needs retuning every now and again when there's a transponder/frequency change etc. Is there a plugin for this box which will enable automatic channel updating if there's a change?

For the Ariva there is no autoupdater. It could be done over the internet as its done with other Ali chip boxes (basically connecting to a hard coded IP address where the channel lists are maintained for that model box). I can see why its not done on combo boxes in Ireland as it would wipe peoples terrestrial channels and everyone would have different frequencies they tune to for Saorview and would be wondering why they are getting no signal messages. It would cause more confusion.

What you could do is identify the channels that have moved and manually scan the single transponder they are now on and move them to your fav list and delete the old ones.

There is a channel editor for the Arivas but it isnt great.

STB. wrote: »
    For the Ariva there is no autoupdater. It could be done over the internet as its done with other Ali chip boxes (basically connecting to a hard coded IP address where the channel lists are maintained for that model box). I can see why its not done on combo boxes in Ireland as it would wipe peoples terrestrial channels and everyone would have different frequencies they tune to for Saorview and would be wondering why they are getting no signal messages. It would cause more confusion.

What you could do is identify the channels that have moved and manually scan the single transponder they are now on and move them to your fav list and delete the old ones.

There is a channel editor for the Arivas but it isnt great.

Sorry STB. I worded that wrong. I meant is there an auto updater on the Edision?

O'Prez wrote: »
    Sorry STB. I worded that wrong. I meant is there an auto updater on the Edision?

Yes. Its call autobouquet. Its a plugin that you load to the box and configure. And by load I mean that there is a plugins menu on the system which connects to the internet, you dont need to be downloading and loading via usb (but you can do also).

I'd stay away from it though as it will wreck your head. I just download the channels and maintain them with my PC channel software and then just flash it to the box wirelessly as its on the same network.

Great info. Thanks STB.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭peking97

STB. wrote: »
    I just download the channels and maintain them with my PC channel software and then just flash it to the box wirelessly as its on the same network.

Can you say which PC channel software you use? I've got the Osmega for a few months now but I find it a steep learning curve!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

Just wondering peoples feedback on this in 2018

Can this box run Netflix or Plex on it - guessing not !

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Easygoin

@ John doe ..
    Yes it can run Plex but There is no plugin for Netflix and probably never will be as Enigma is open sourced (as was explained to me ) .Great box though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 dobaluchi

Hey there,

I have/had an OSMega set up with enigma 2 from tv dave and all favourites set up nicely. Long story short, I was going to get an IPTV sub on it and then decided against as better to keep OS as a back up if android box wasn't working. The OSMega has been reflashed to an Openatv from iPab and I cannot now receive the saorview channels only the free to air.

What's the best solution around this? And what would be the best set up whilst I'm at it.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ollielaroo

Hi all.

I've just stumbled across this thread.
    Can anyone direct me to where I can get this plugin please?

RTE Player for Enigma2 - Irish Video on Demand plugin (rteplayer.zip)

Any dropbox link I've found on boards isn't valid anymore.

Edision OS MEGA Triple Tuner
    Vix 5.2 Enigma2

That RTE Player plugin is long since broken. RTE made changes to ensure it didn't work anymore.

Advertisement