Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ECCE 3 days instead of five?

Options
  • 07-09-2017 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭

Our three year old has started her first of two years on this free scheme. We've had her name down locally since she was 6months and she attended a paid summer camp there for a full week during the summer.

However on open day the manager said to my wife that she'll be doing three days, we thought she meant for the first few weeks to get use to it. We got the forms now and it has on it that she will be doing three days for the year. We are wondering if this is normal? It's only three hours a day and she is not too tired or anything after it, she loves going and is pretty disappointed on days she's not. She is a pretty advanced 3yo at that.

Any advice welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Not normal to me anyway. Have not heard of this.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Is the school only operating 3 days a week ?

• Administrators Posts: 14,034 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

You have the option of registering her for as many or as few days as you like. You can register her for 1 day a week, or 5.

It sounds like the playschool has taken it upon themselves to register her for 3 days, my guess is because they have someone else coming in for the 2 days, and possibly paying for the place.

She is entitled to 5 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

Operating 5 days a week. When I questioned it she said that she usually takes kids for 3 mornings on year one and then 5 mornings on year two.

I asked if this was normal and she said yes and asked if it was ok. I felt a bit bad at this point, like I was pawning off my kid too early and I was just being a terrible person so agreed it was ok.

It's not a money thing because we are paying our childminder regardless with other our other child. I just feel she is missing out unnecessarily.

All of the other ECCE places are booked up so moving isn't an option, I'm not sure what to do except suck it up.

On the letter we have home they are only claiming for three days too, so unless they took on too many kids and are just trying to keep everyone happy. Seems like we are losing out though.

• Advertisement

You can tell her you want her to go for 5 days. It's not a rule that you have to stick by. At best it might be a recommendation from the owner, but it's only a recommendation. Every child is entitled to 2 full preschool years under the ECCE scheme. That includes your child. Tell her you want to avail of the full 5 days this year.

There should be no need for an argument. If you find she is getting bored next year, you can give her a break of maybe a 3 or 4 day week occasionally.

Edit: it does sound like she over booked/over books and this is how she deals with it.

Find out if she has space for her on the 2 other days before deciding anything else.

Will have the chats tomorrow. I was hopin she would go to school next year but she'll only have turned four and people seem to be leaving it a bit later in life for them these days. Will see

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

If she is 4 by the end of Feb schools are usually have to take them,after that it depends on the child and the school.
    If they operate for 5 days and you had her down for 5 days I would ask for your 5 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Sorry to hijack your thread a bit, but I noticed you said you had her name down since six months.... is there such a demand for places that you need to apply so far in advance? My baby is 7 months. I have his name down for primary schools but hadn't thought about ECCE?

Chatted but to no avail. Only getting three days, no places anywhere else so there must be demand. No harm in having name down, and possibly in two places.

• Advertisement

Does she not have the capacity to give you the extra 2 days? Has she over booked herself. I would contact whatever body is in charge of overseeing this and let them know. I know she only has her registered for 3 days, so will only get 3 days payment for her, but that is somethingbthst should have been made very clear from when you applied.

She IS entitled to 5 days. The playschool should be asking you how many days you want rather than telling you how many you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

When was the open day?

It sounds like you were told about the model in advance alright, but it didn't click... maybe they were not clear enough.

It's pretty presumptuous of this playschool alright, but in their defense, they are a private business who can provide or not provide services, and they told you in advance.

Was there any reason beyond "that's our way"?

Advertisement