Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with catmint cuttings over winter?

Options
  • 07-09-2017 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi There

I am trying to grow new catnip plants from shoot cuttings. I potted the cuttings in June, some of them seem to be coming along ok. I kept the potted cuttings in a opaque plastic storage box so they would have some heat to help them take root. Some survived, but I’m now wondering what I should do with them for the winter? Should they be in a polytonal type environment? Or can I just keep them in well drained pots in off the rain?

Any advice would be very much appreciated as I do not have green fingers…..

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭cobham

Plant out in garden? Should be well established plants now.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Bernice101

Thank you for your reply.
    They are only 6 inches tall and are only the original shoot, I.e. That look very scraney.
    They also produced a flower after being potted, I understand that is not optional as it zaps their resources? Do you still think that they are suitable to be planted? Perhaps in bigger pots and left outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,438 ✭✭✭✭looksee

They should have some signs of new growth by now. If there is no evidence of new buds then its quite likely they have not 'struck'. If there is some new growth (the flower is not necessarily a sign that they have taken off, unless there are signs of new leaf buds) then leave them outside in the pots, a bit sheltered and let them get established.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭cobham

I think you have some nice little plants there if started in June. Time to put them out but be careful if they have been so sheltered up to this. Maybe acclimatise a bit in open ground before planting out in a month. Put a stick alongside to mark them and remind you where they are. They will die back with frost but over winter fine and be much bigger plants in coming yrs. I am thinking of taking one out as got so big and sprawley ... too much in a small garden. Perhaps they are like lavander that you get seven years or so out of parent plant before needs renewing?

Advertisement