Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

His Royal Xurness - D2 Edition

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

jackrussel wrote:
    & no 3oC. Bah humbug

What?? I've missed him the last few weekends. Had a pile of strange coins to burn on them. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Over by the speaker

Legacy helm

empyrean bellicose
    knucklehead radar
    the ram
    plan c
    ho ho ho.
    PetKing wrote: »
    What?? I've missed him the last few weekends. Had a pile of strange coins to burn on them. :(

He is selling Ho's though. Xur, the Christmas pimp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

Exotic Ho's

PetKing wrote: »
    Exotic Ho's

That will give you a "Hard Light". But beware their "Touch of Malice", as it is nothing but "Bad JuJu", and may result in the "Red Death".

Xur's last arrival of the year.

Suros Regime
    Titan - Crest of Alpha Lupi (104 Intellect)
    Hunter - Don't Touch Me (73 Strength)
    Warlock - Apotheosis Veil (42 Intellect / 44 Discipline)
    Exotic Engram - Helmet
    NO LEGACY ENGRAM
    NO 3OC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭wexdevil

So many people whinging about the lack of 3oC

wexdevil wrote: »
    So many people whinging about the lack of 3oC

3OC rendered Xur's arrival pretty pointless (that and at this stage most people have all/most exotics anyway), except of course for purchasing more 3OC's. Some people have great luck with them, others don't. Me? Crap luck. I worked it out once and my ratio was 1:17/18. I have 128 of them and i forget they're there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,215 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i'd take 3oC out of the game completely and increase the drop rate of exotics from siva heroics, nightfalls, raid bosses and crucible weekly bounties etc. Being able to farm exotics with 3oC ruined the loot chase for them, imo.

i'd take 3oC out of the game completely and increase the drop rate of exotics from siva heroics, nightfalls, raid bosses and crucible weekly bounties etc. Being able to farm exotics with 3oC ruined the loot chase for them, imo.

And remove the possibility of only getting Motes and/or Strange Coins as your reward. Nightfalls should have them removed from the loot pool altogether, and the bare minimum that you should get is a legendary engram that decrypts up to 400.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Ive nowhere near all the exotics,just about to get my first character to 400. Id say 3oC are there for solo players,if you could only get exotics from stuff that usually requires a fireteam it wouldnt really work for solo players.

I dont see the problem with 3oC's,i think with the exotic quests also providing a bit of a story to some exotics and a few missions to get them theres a reasonable balance to it.

Ive about 4 3oC's left at the moment which is painful as im trying to get from 399-400,exotics have helped greatly getting to this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

EoinHef wrote: »
    Ive nowhere near all the exotics,just about to get my first character to 400. Id say 3oC are there for solo players,if you could only get exotics from stuff that usually requires a fireteam it wouldnt really work for solo players.

I dont see the problem with 3oC's,i think with the exotic quests also providing a bit of a story to some exotics and a few missions to get them theres a reasonable balance to it.

Ive about 4 3oC's left at the moment which is painful as im trying to get from 399-400,exotics have helped greatly getting to this point.

The thing is, I don't think that they should be catering to solo players very much. All of the game's set pieces are Co-op. It's cool if solo is how you like to play, but it's not what the game is really made for.

I'd agree with Mitch that 3oC took some of the fun away for me. I get why people who play less wouldn't agree, but from a personal standpoint, I'd be happy for them to go.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Yeah, I'd be fine with 3oC going if they boosted the chance of getting exotic drops a bit from heroic strikes and the like.

I can see both sides of the arguement but for me there fine the way they are. Another thing they give i think thats important is variety. Does anyone wanna grind the same mission over and over? Heroics being the only option mentioned so far that keeps variety Thats RNG at its worst imo. 3oC's means you can run lots of diiferent missions and still be in with a shout of getting an exotic every now and then.

As for not catering to solo players,never gonna happen. They will always be catered for.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I JUST WANT MY 3OC BACK :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

tbh a lot of us had most of the exotics within a day of 3ocs launching (didn't beta test that well did they?) but I think it's fair they're left in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I'd honestly be lost without those things. No chance I'd have gotten to 400 with any character tbh. I suck at PVP/IB and am mainly a solo player so being able to get to 395/396 without touching raids/pvp, 3OC were a great help.

Plus, I'd probably never have gotten my Zhalo. Beautiful, beautiful Zhalo...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Yeah, I'm pretty fond of the Zhalo, I think it was the first exotic I got from an engram.

Glico Man wrote: »
    I'd honestly be lost without those things. No chance I'd have gotten to 400 with any character tbh. I suck at PVP/IB and am mainly a solo player so being able to get to 395/396 without touching raids/pvp, 3OC were a great help.

Plus, I'd probably never have gotten my Zhalo. Beautiful, beautiful Zhalo...

But if you don't do most of the game (and none of the end game activities) why should you find it easy(ish) to get to 400?

Getting max level from farming engrams is a stupid progression mechanic. Exoctics should be special weapons, memorable drops - not "oh, i've popped 5 3oCs, should get a new exotic now in a min..."

Anyone who was in the party with Generic on Crota will remember him getting the Gally - anyone really rememeber, or care to remember getting exotics from a 3oC proc?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

But if you don't do most of the game (and none of the end game activities) why should you find it easy(ish) to get to 400?

Getting max level from farming engrams is a stupid progression mechanic. Exoctics should be special weapons, memorable drops - not "oh, i've popped 5 3oCs, should get a new exotic now in a min..."

Anyone who was in the party with Generic on Crota will remember him getting the Gally - anyone really rememeber, or care to remember getting exotics from a 3oC proc?

For some people tho they dont have the time to do much other than solo. At the start I had to play Solo to get myself up to 285ish light so I could go on a raid with you guys. Then look at the current state of organising a raid and you can see that not everyone will be able to get to end game stuff :D

jonnycivic wrote: »
    For some people tho they dont have the time to do much other than solo. At the start I had to play Solo to get myself up to 285ish light so I could go on a raid with you guys. Then look at the current state of organising a raid and you can see that not everyone will be able to get to end game stuff :D

So maybe you could argue 3oC are good for people new to the game now - if end game activities are out for them (for various reasons) but as a general game mechanic that was introduced when the game was still popular, and in terms of discussion of an ongoing game mechanic, that argument is poor, imo.

I would say whether they should stay (in destiny 2), in my opinion, would rest on how exotics in general are dealt with. If MOST of the exotics are quest based, that has to be considered too. If you have a defined path that you can take to most exotics, should the remainder be offered up to anyone who can pop a consumable before farming the iron lords tomb for 2 hours? That is a poor design mechanic, imo.

I just don't see why a solo player or casual player should be catered for in such a way - I can't bring myself to party up for tears and frustration in trials so the trials gear is beyond my reach. That is my choice, in the same way someone might chose to not raid. Destiny is not built to be played solo to its fullest degree, so why should the content of the game be opened up to people who chose not to engage in parts of it.

For me, exotics should be highish chance drops from Nightfall, Raid Bosses and (maybe some newly designed) weekly bounty completions - a smaller (skeleton key drop rates?) from Heroic Strikes and low chance from 320 strikes/crucible. They can improve the way exotics dropped prior to 3oC - i'm not arguing that they should go right back to that - I just don't think 3oC as a game mechanic is a good idea - especially as it feels (may not be the case) that if I don't pop one I won't get an exotic at all.

I think 3oC was a step too far in the wrong direction in their attempt to fix the RNG issues prior to their introduction, and I would be happy to see a new implementation in Destiny 2 and onwards. Loot drops, in general, will always be an issue that Bungie should, and need to, continue to look at. 3oC, like weapon reforging, were missteps too far tht took away from the loot drive of the game or the speciality of the drops/weapons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Anyone who was in the party with Generic on Crota will remember him getting the Gally

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,709 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Got Ghally the first time I killed Atheon but never used it cause Suros was carrying my ass through HM due to HCR knocking back Praetorians. That gun was also incredibly efficient for ammo usage/needing to reload. If only I knew about Ghally though..

Theres always the option to not use 3oC's for those who dont like them. And those who do can use them.

Theres always the option to not use 3oC's for those who dont like them. And those who do can use them.

I'm not convinced you can get an exotic drop from a boss without them. We are discussing a game mechanic and it's effect on the game. To take such a dismissive view of the argument in general adds nothing in either direction. Me simply not using exotic engrams (and I haven't in a while) doesn't change their effect on the game. I also though weapon reforging was a bad move - and simply ignoring that function would have been a poor argument for that too.

Thought briar rabbit had a good video on it, which echoed my thoughts. I know Holtzman (another dcp destiny content creator along with briar rabbit) is very much in favour of 3oC, though I don't think he has done a vid on it.

https://youtu.be/oOK7HCRkpiE

I'm not convinced you can get an exotic drop from a boss without them. We are discussing a game mechanic and it's effect on the game. To take such a dismissive view of the argument in general adds nothing in either direction. Me simply not using exotic engrams (and I haven't in a while) doesn't change their effect on the game. I also though weapon reforging was a bad move - and simply ignoring that function would have been a poor argument for that too.

Thought briar rabbit had a good video on it, which echoed my thoughts. I know Holtzman (another dcp destiny content creator along with briar rabbit) is very much in favour of 3oC, though I don't think he has done a vid on it.

https://youtu.be/oOK7HCRkpiE

I feel ive already made my points for 3oC's in previous posts. I was merely suggesting something that ive seen people state they do,ie ignore 3oC's and hunt for exotics in the activities that drop them. Very similar to some folk here,they think the 3oC mechanic is cheap. Im not saying im right and anyone else is wrong,i just like that 3oC's allow me to do stuff i had to in game and still be in with a chamce of getting some decent kit.

Killing all the taken bosses on patrol was one thing that would have made me put down the game if not for 3oC's. There were so many of them missions in the taken war quest,not easy solo at middling LL,that 3oC's were the only part of that particular quest i found rewarding in any way.

I feel ive already made my points for 3oC's in previous posts. I was merely suggesting something that ive seen people state they do,ie ignore 3oC's and hunt for exotics in the activities that drop them. Very similar to some folk here,they think the 3oC mechanic is cheap. Im not saying im right and anyone else is wrong,i just like that 3oC's allow me to do stuff i had to in game and still be in with a chamce of getting some decent kit.

Killing all the taken bosses on patrol was one thing that would have made me put down the game if not for 3oC's. There were so many of them missions in the taken war quest,not easy solo at middling LL,that 3oC's were the only part of that particular quest i found rewarding in any way.
    And those taken bosses should have had a regular exotic engram drop rate, rather than needing 3oC - my issue isn't so much where you can get the engrams with them, it's the needed use of them to do so. The near guarantee of getting a drop every 7 or so coins (averaged based on common consensus) ruins the special intention of loot drops (especially exotics) imo. To me it created more of an annoyance when an exotic didnt drop.

Exotic drops should have been improved from the year 1 rates, but 3oC pushed it way further in the other direction, especially when the 3oC cost is so low; allowing easy and prolonged farming of exotics that can quickly boost LL at a very quick rate with little investment.

Yeah i could get onboard with them doing something different but id imagine its more work for bungie to assign loot drops to specific activities rather than the 3oC's system. Which id say was easy enough for them to throw in. Could be a reason to really revisit the system for Destiny 2.

For me i wouldnt like to see them removed at this point though and id imagine its to late for bungie to design a new system for exotics with Destiny 2 being made.

Exotic drops should have been improved from the year 1 rates, but 3oC pushed it way further in the other direction, especially when the 3oC cost is so low; allowing easy and prolonged farming of exotics that can quickly boost LL at a very quick rate with little investment.

The Division did something like this. Originally the grind was cruel but they changed drop rates and now gear drops like confetti. At first I thought they had gone too far and then realised I wanted a certain build and have started grinding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

The 'random' drop system of exotics was incredibly unfair though. To me anyway :o I've put 327 hours into Destiny (for me that's just a ridiculous amount on any game). Again and again and again I'd only get one of two exotics. No Land Beyond or Plan C. The only other exotic I've got as a 'natural' drop was Patience and Time I think.

Whilst I didn't do the crucible, I did most of the other end game stuff. Haven't done King's Fall though.

Without Xur I'd never have had a chance to have the craic with Zhalo, Mida, Soros or anything else.

• Advertisement

Xur's biggest crime against humanity was his refusal to sell The Ghally in Year 1. Sold it in week 2 when no-one was going to waste their coins on a RL and then didn't sell it again for the year. When he eventually did I bought four of them!

Advertisement