Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The employer lies to me that my 6 subordinates submited their resignation because of

Options
  • 08-09-2017 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

He, this means the owner of a small company. He hired me because of my professional background is direct to his business. And it is rarely find in the country. It the first 2 months everything seems to be okay but in the following months he pushed a lot of initiatives and bring new businesses to the very low productivity staffs this is what he hired me for.
    I don't mind the fast and tough jobs assigned, my mission is to set up a strong process and ensure smooth and more systematic operations.  But the things push through me to my staffs around ten person.  (I would say they are very low performance for the past year during the business went down)  What I did is I called a meeting with part of my team to push more performance. Sure it was a tough meeting.
    After that, he asked me would I be find if he talk with the staff in a group without me. So they can say what they feel.  Lot of negative issues raised, even my face don't look sincere that what they feel.
    On the next day he called me in the closed room with another 2 staffs from different department outside my supervision.  He read the points he noted yesterday from my staff and said 6 out of 10 "submitted"  resignation forms.  And he wanted from mine too but leave the effective date blank.
    Sure, I immediately signed.
    After that day. I checked with the staffs, anyone singed a resignation forms yet???  Nobody.  Since the day both of my staff and the boss keep bypassing me doing the operations with me sitting and watching them walk around me.
    What is the problem actually happen in this situations.  And what I should do.... Should I resign?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,537 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It could be that the staff also submitted undated resignation forms. I don't know how that works. You are asking should you resign, yet you have already submitted a form? You are asking your colleagues have they signed the form yet, but you also implied that the boss said they had?

I think this is a matter of communication. It appears that while your English is good, it is not your first language? Even if you were from an English speaking country other than Ireland, you could still have communication problems. While it is not as noticeable as years ago, there is a lot of subtlety to Irish communication, just because you are using the correct words does not mean you are necessarily communicating what others are hearing. What may seem like fair, strong and authoritative remarks to you may come across as aggressive, tactless and bullying to others.

Maybe the boss wants you to have another try at the situation, have you asked him what you are supposed to be doing now? Is there a date for your departure? Maybe you could ask for another meeting with the group, including your boss, and ask them how you can improve communication, what are they most upset about. It may well be that you have the skills needed to do the job, except for 'people skills', and an ability to communicate. Be prepared to apologise for aggressive behaviour if that point is raised, and look for help in dealing with people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ideapadtm

Nobody submitted at all. It ia all lie. As of now nobody left the company yet.

The form was leave effective date blank anf he said he does not want to use it.

I am an expat from asia working in 3rd world asean country

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

So you signed a resignation form and left the date blank. This means all he has to do is fill in a date whenever he wants to fire you.

Id ask him for that form back

• Registered Users Posts: 13,743 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

ideapadtm wrote:
    I am an expat from asia working in 3rd world asean country

No offence, then, but I really don't know what advice you expect to get from an Irish website?

ideapadtm wrote: »
    I called a meeting with part of my team to push more performance. Sure it was a tough meeting.
    After that, he asked me would I be find if he talk with the staff in a group without me. So they can say what they feel. Lot of negative issues raised, even my face don't look sincere that what they feel.

What seems to have happened is you decided to get tough with your team to get more productivity out of them and they have told your boss that it's you or them.

Instead of supporting you (assuming improved productivity is one of your missions from him) he has panicked and is trying to get your staff back on track by cutting you out and is keeping your undated resignation form in case he needs it.

Don't get caught up in the word "submitted", my guess is your team is not happy with you and threatened to resign and your boss is afraid of losing 6 people in one go, whatever their productivity levels may be.

If I was you I would have a talk with my boss and see if this is the problem and decide how to continue. I wouldn't stay in a job where my boss had undermined me with my team.

• Advertisement
Advertisement