Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vuelta a Espana - Stage 19 (8-Sep), Caso. Parque Natural de Redes - Gijon (149.7km)

Options
  • 08-09-2017 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭

This is quite a short stage at less than 140 km, and it has some tough-ish climbs. So there is scope for some GC attacks... but considering what is in store tomorrow, it's probably unlikely. It's likely to be similar to yesterday with the breakaway contesting the win.
    Mid-mountain. The San Martín mountain pass will await the peloton 16.6 kilometres from the finish-line. A short ascent with very tough slopes that will result in important differences to the general classification. If the leaders lose their concentration, even for a second, we could see some surprises.

PROFIL.png

CARTE.jpg

Km 29.0 - Alto de la Colladona - 7 km at 6.8% - Cat. 1
    Km 64.8 - Alto de Sto. Emiliano - 6.8 km at 4.5% - Cat. 3
    Km 134.5 - Alto de la Falla de Los Lobos. La Casilla. - 4.3 km at 8.2% - Cat. 3
    Km 79.5 - Alto de San Martín de Huerces - 4.5 km at 7.2% - Cat. 3

PROFILCOLSCOTES_1.png

PROFILKMS.png

Live TV coverage on Eurosport2 at 1:45pm. Highlights on Eurosport2 at 8pm and 12.30am, and on ITV4 at 7pm (geo-blocked for Virgin Media TV subscribers).

How will Nico Roche do today? 18 votes

He won't make it into the breakaway; saving himself for Angliru
    0% 0 votes
    In the breakaway; but won't win stage
    11% 2 votes
    In the breakway and will win the stage
    66% 12 votes
    What a stupid question, of course he will win the stage!
    16% 3 votes
    He works all day for TvG and lets him win
    5% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Nicolas Roche has been struggling with fatigue all Vuelta (and Tour)...

But I am sure he will try along with 150 guys to go in the break ...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Has anyone else noticed Carlton's current obsession with camera motorcycles? He gets very irrate if they come within 20 metres of the riders, treating them as if they are some sort of intrusion on the race rather than a necessary presence for providing the live picture's he's commenting on.

He's also added a new and mysterious word to his vocabulary: "Tagging". This appears to be a verb for: catching up with someone, passing someone, getting dropped, getting a draft off someone, almost colliding with someone, and possibly other things.

It's like the time he discovered the word cadence, which he appears to not to really understand and instead uses as a catch-all term for: speed, power and, actual cadence.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

He gives out about the motor bikes but then at other things wafts on about how fantastic and professional they are. He's been very narky for this race especially when people dare criticise the sky bots and Froome.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

One of the early stages he was ranting about camera motorcycles then convinced himself the powers that be had pulled the camera bike out from the front all while we were watching pictures of the lead rider obviously shot from the camera bike that he was convinced was pulled and let all the viewers know about.
    You couldnt make it up, and even still when we see a helicopter shot of said camera bike at the front of the race he was still going on about the camer biike"told to get out of there" i mean is the guy deluded, he sees what and believes what he alone wants, how he is a commentator is beyond me.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'd love if someone just typed up, verbatim, his entire commentary for a stage and asked him to sit down and read it afterwards.

• Advertisement

I've been enjoying Rob Hatch and Matt Stephens on the Tour of Britain, I actually haven't been bothered too much by Kirby but do find on the whole that his co-commentators speak far more of their own volition when on with Rob Hatch.

Even Brian Smith on the Tour of Britain for ITV4 is talking way more than he ever does on Eurosport with Kirby.

Nico in the break

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The 19 riders in the break are: Bob Jungels, Matteo Trentin (Quick Step), Nicolas Roche (BMC), Emanuel Buchmann (Bora-Hansgrohe), Julien Duval (AG2R La Mondiale), Davide Villella (Cannondale-Drapac), Floris De Tier, Juanjo Lobato (LottoNL-Jumbo), Rui Costa, Matej Mohoric (UAE Team Emirates), Laurens De Vreese (Astana), Edward Theuns, Jarlinson Pantano (Trek-Segafredo), Thomas De Gendt (Lotto Soudal), Ivan Garcia Cortina (Bahrain-Merida), Dani Navarro, Kenneth Vanbilsen (Cofidis), David Arroyo (Caja Rural-Seguros RGA) and Juan Felipe Osorio (Manzana-Postobon.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

It's the sort of Stage Nico could do something on, the final climb is pretty tough though, but looking at who else is in the break he's got a decent chance you'd think. A few to get off the front on the final climb and contest a 2/3 up sprint on the flat after the descent.

San%20Mart%C3%ADn%20de%20Huerces%20%28perfil%29.jpg

The climb is not the problem for Nico ...its the sprint with likes of Trentin & Jungels ...

• Advertisement

MPFGLB wrote: »
    The climb is not the problem for Nico ...its the sprint with likes of Trentin & Jungels ...

Needs to try and get rid of them up the final climb.

Inquitus wrote: »
    Needs to try and get rid of them up the final climb.

Yeah...but group of 19 are now lettign Bardet group bridge....mistake given how he climbs and descends

I reckon that the big group will be split up before they reach the final climb. Too many riders with a huge gap to the peloton. No reason to keep a high pace. Riders will start attacking each other.

Break is down to around 10 with Roche making the selection on the last climb, nothing much to trouble them now until the final climb kicks off with 20km remaining.

Nico looking great on the descent here.

A top quality group of De Gendt, Bardet, Rui Costa, Navarro, Jungels and Roche, along with two LottoNL-Jumbo lads that I'm not familiar with (De Tier and Tolheok)

I'm going to start watching the coverage on my phone now so if Nico falls/crashes you can blame me!

Nico looking great on the descent here.

One of the best descenders in the peloton

If they keep riding up front and maintian the gap Nico could get very near top 10 again

If they keep riding up front and maintian the gap Nico could get very near top 10 again

Had the same thought, nearly 18 minutes now.

• Advertisement

Aye I was just looking 16:43 off of Kruijswijk in 10th.

This would be a very intriguing and enjoyable stage to watch to see how it plays out in the last 45 km, except that Nico is there in which case I'm a nervous wreck! :eek:

This would be a very intriguing and enjoyable stage to watch to see how it plays out in the last 45 km, except that Nico is there in which case I'm a nervous wreck! :eek:

Me too

holy poop 17 minutes to the breakaway, what else have i missed???

One of the best descenders in the peloton

Developed mostly by flying downhill in anger after Gadret ( the baldy bo****ks) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Sean don't talk architecture :)

Who is Clarkey Simon ? Sean !

Who is Clarkey Simon ? Sean !

Hes great for butchering riders names. His last one was cort magnus nielsen

He said 'Fabian' Aru earlier :pac:

• Advertisement

Carlton going on about what bbc means makes for some uncomfortable & cringeworthy listening

Advertisement