Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entry level mtb bike

Options
  • 08-09-2017 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭

Hi can you recommend a good starter mountain bike.

Mainly for trail/fire road. I've to curtail my hill running after getting a radial meniscus tear.

I'd like to still cycle around the trails to keep the strength while I wait for anthroscope op and also post op. Budget 300, second hand of course.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

Pop into the cyclesuperstore and see what they have they often have a good selection

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I've been pondering a ghetto tubeless Vitus Dee in lieu of a 'real' MTB.

It would be living outdoors though...

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

How would halfords entry level boardman or carrera off road bikes fare out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Subzero3 wrote: »
    How would halfords entry level boardman or carrera off road bikes fare out

It depends what you want to do on it. Contrary to popular perception suspension isn't about comfort it's about being able to keep control when you hit obstacles or drops.

If you just want to ride on rough tracks with gravel and roots then a reasonably light rigid forked bike with big tyres is your man.

Many an entry level mtb seems to be undone by budget suspension forks that either work poorly and/or require a lot of maintenance to keep going.

If you wanted to do mountain biking as a sport you'd be better off doing your homework on a second hand bike with decent forks etc.

There are numerous guides from the likes of Bike Radar and Global Mountain Bike Network

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

You need to get on adverts -
    Absolutely great value to be had if you want to downs 300.. plenty of stock available
    Subzero3 wrote: »
    Hi can you recommend a good starter mountain bike.

Mainly for trail/fire road. I've to curtail my hill running after getting a radial meniscus tear.

I'd like to still cycle around the trails to keep the strength while I wait for anthroscope op and also post op. Budget 300, second hand of course.

• Advertisement
Advertisement