Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small Business Desktop recommendation?

Options
  • 08-09-2017 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

Looking for an expert opinion on this desktop for a small business?

Dell Vostro 3268 i5

7th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7400 processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.50 GHz)

4GB DDR4 2400MHz 

128GB 2.5inch Solid State Drive, Class 20 

Price quoted is €576.87 inc VAT.

Dell 20 Monitor E2016H 19.5" Black UK would be an added extra @ €140.71

Just wondering if this is a good price OR is there a better alternative out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's fine for general stuff; email, web, documents, etc.

If the person is going to be doing any heavy number crunching or report generation then you'll need something with a little more grunt. But in general terms it's fine for general use.

Modern machines come with smaller hard drives because there's always an assumption that you'll be using a server or NAS as your primary data storage.

Dell have an offer on at the moment where you'll get the above machine with an i3 processor instead of an i5, and it's €100 cheaper. That will do perfectly fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭huddlejonny

Thanks for that.

One of the main uses would be for Sage accounting packaging and general microsoft office work like emails, quotes etc..

Just wondering if there is better value out there for the money quoted?

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The short answer is yes. But at your price point and the fact that you're only buying one, the amount of time you'll spend looking for it versus the amount you'll save, probably isn't worth it.

With Dell you're paying a small premium for the convenience of the device delivered to your door, and a pretty good warranty/service option.

You might save 30 or 40 quid shopping around, but you'll spend half of your day doing it, and it may not arrive for two weeks. And if it breaks you could be without it for a month. How much will all that cost you?

If you know of a local company who builds/supplies computers then they're worth going for. Or if your own business is technology and you know how to handle IT issues, then you can do what you like.
    But for a small company without permanent IT support, my experience is that you have a lot of security buying from the likes of Dell.

Advertisement