Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar Flares

Options
  • 08-09-2017 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question, and if this is in the wrong forum then can it be moved to the correct place?

I was looking at the news a minute ago and began to wonder,

Is there a connection between the Massive Solar Flare yesterday, and the Huge Earthquake off Mexico last night?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Absolutely none, except for those in the tin hat brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,299 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Just a quick question, and if this is in the wrong forum then can it be moved to the correct place?

Is there a connection between the Massive Solar Flare yesterday, and the Huge Earthquake off Mexico last night?

I went to make a cup of coffee a short while ago. Realised I'm out of coffee. It's raining.

Any connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

Absolutely none, except for those in the tin hat brigade.

How sure are you really?

Have you spent any time studying the possibility?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

The frequency of Solar Flares range from one a week to several per day so there is no connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

How sure are you really?

You proposed it.

Describe the mechanism whereby a superheated plasma discharge, moving through a vacuum at a decreasing distance from 150000000 kilometres could cause tectonic activity.

At the time of the earthquake, you jumping off your kitchen table would have had a greater possibility of causing an earthquake. Not a big possibility, but a greater one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭RoisinClare6

Hmmm...isn't that the start of the movie 2012

Hmmm...isn't that the start of the movie 2012

???
    Never seen it.

???
    Never seen it.
    Enjoyable end of the world disaster romp, based on ludicrous sciencey-sounding stuff. The neutrinos mutated. That was bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭RoisinClare6

???
    Never seen it.

Have to say I quite enjoyed it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

He's got you there, may as well give up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭ps200306

It is a common mistake to believe that because one thing follows another it is therefore caused by that other thing. The mistake is referred to as a post hoc fallacy. Post hoc is Latin for "after this", and is shorthand for post hoc ergo propter hoc ... "after this therefore because of this".

Of course it is not impossible for one thing to cause another, but there is no a priori reason to assume it does. In other words, the default assumption is that it does not, unless you are able to demonstrate some connection or have a good reason to suspect one. Do you?

It also doesn't make sense to ask the person who gives the default answer whether they have studied the matter. There is no need to do so. The default answer is no because there is no reason to answer yes. If you think there is, the burden of proof is on you.

Good god,
    You would think i was thick!!!

Having studied Geology ( at secondary school level), and history (same level), there does seem to be a loose corellation between Solar events and both weather and geological events.

Most religions quote events like this.

Historical sources describe events like this too.

So why the attitude??

Good god,
    You would think i was thick!!!

Having studied Geology ( at secondary school level), and history (same level), there does seem to be a loose corellation between Solar events and both weather and geological events.

Most religions quote events like this.

Historical sources describe events like this too.

So why the attitude??

Leaving cert? Grand. You're an expert.
    There's not a loose correlation between the sun and the weather. There's an absolute one. There is no correlation whatsoever between 'solar events' and 'weather and geological events', though.
    Religions quote all sorts of nonsense. Do you really need examples?
    Historical sources are reports of events based on the state of the knowledge at the time they occurred.

No attitude. You asked a daft question. You were answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭ps200306

At least some of his references are junk science e.g. The Space and Science Research Center. And he dismisses quantum and relativity theories. Sounds enough like a quack that I wouldn't be wasting too much time looking into him. Obviously I could be wrong, but life's too short to investigate every nutter with a theory.

"I went through some of these research papers and found an outstanding observed data that are self-explanatory, if one equipped with the correct physics."

Seems legit. I'm in.

Advertisement