Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to buy a house in Dublin??

Options
  • 08-09-2017 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi guys,

we are looking to buy a new house/apartment (me and my husband) in Dublin but it's very hard to find a decent area (with no antisocial behaviour, social housing, rubbish or junkies) with affordbable prices (300-350k).
    We don't mind to commute or to take a bus/luas/dart every day we are just looking to a place where you can walk during the night and feel safe.
    Do you have any suggestion?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

Ashtown has a train station, which will eventually become a dart line. There are new build house for sale at less than 350k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

For 350k you won't get a house in a "good" area of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭wandererz

Perhaps, Hansfield in Ongar Dublin 15?
    Has been selling quickly but new developments being built.

My only problem is that with so many young families moving into new developments, once little Tommy or little Agatha, in ten years or so are in their teens, dressed in their flannel/towelling sports trousers or pyjamas and hoodies start congregating its going to get really antisocial.

It's happening already in many areas and the best of areas. But nobody seems to give a damn about their kids by that age because they are reasonably self sufficient and the parents are busy or choose to be ignorant of what's going on around them.

You mentioned junkies. Every junkie was a kid previously, so it's reasonable to expect that some of these or any other kids will become junkies as well.

As for social housing, there is a percentage of housing stock assigned to social housing in many areas in that price bracket.

My place was/is a great place to live in peace and quiet. As young families develop there are things that become annoying. But it happens in stages and there are ways to control that via the management company.

Other areas do not have that facility. Step out two or three kilometres and just going to the chipper at night becomes a problem. The once "great" area, when purchasing now, becomes a sh!thole because of those very same people who thought it a great chance to get onto the property ladder 10+ years ago. The same will happen in the future.

These groups of kids that grew up together, stick together, exhibit pack mentality and have no problems hurling racist and any other abuse at grown adults.

From experience it also happens in the "best" of areas. From my experience in Dun Laoghaire/ Cabinteely/ Leopardstown as well. No area is immune.

So, inclusive of considering the social demographic, consider the age demographic as well.

Recently i have been surprised when just stepping over the county border into Meath and others, into places such as Rathoat, Ashbourne etc.
    Seems a rather nice way and pace of life. But probably also subject to the same considerations.

Apologies in advance for sounding so harsh but that is one person's experience and opinion.

At the same time there are a few suggestions above in terms of areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Emanu86

Thanks everyone (even if, Wanderez, I think you are a bit too harsh with the kids)!
    We went to new house viewings in Clongriffin and the place looked nice in the morning but then we found out that there is social housing in the area and there will be more, so now I'm not so sure anymore that's a good place in the long terms... Plus I saw the whole Clongriffin DART station has been vandalised (all the glasses have been crushed) and looks abandoned.
    What do you think about Adamstown? We are also considering that area but it seems still a bit isolated...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭wandererz

Emanu86 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone (even if, Wanderez, I think you are a bit too harsh with the kids)!
    We went to new house viewings in Clongriffin and the place looked nice in the morning but then we found out that there is social housing in the area and there will be more, so now I'm not so sure anymore that's a good place in the long terms... Plus I saw the whole Clongriffin DART station has been vandalised (all the glasses have been crushed) and looks abandoned.
    What do you think about Adamstown? We are also considering that area but it seems still a bit isolated...

Yes, but consider who vandalised the place.
    Was it someone in their mid to late twenties, or 30's or 40's? It wasn't.

My point is pack mentality and the likelihood of packs occurring.

You may be OK to ignore it and to consider that your little Tommy will Never turn out that way.

But it happens. Most down and out persons, most people in social housing, most junkies have grown up in a better home life, even if only for a short while.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Agh! Social housing!!! Run away quickly!!! Jesus Christ...

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

Near Clonsilla train station is nice. The downside is limited road connections to the southside. The farther you move from the station, the more you come across problem areas.

con1982 wrote: »
    Near Clonsilla train station is nice. The downside is limited road connections to the southside. The farther you move from the station, the more you come across problem areas.

I've seen people in tracksuits around that train station

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Artane and Edenmore would both come in pricewise. Both settled areas.
    You do seem rather precious about whatever you mean by 'social housing'. Some buses to Darndale go through the area. I think I saw someone buy 'The Star' newspaper there once.

spurious wrote: »
    Artane and Edenmore would both come in pricewise. Both settled areas.
    You do seem rather precious about whatever you mean by 'social housing'. Some buses to Darndale go through the area. I think I saw someone buy 'The Star' newspaper there once.

I live in Edenmore now, got a house there for F all about a year and a half ago. You can walk to the dart in Raheny in 12 mins and I can drink in the Raheny Inn and still cycle to work in city centre in less than 30 mins.
    A lot of it is social housing but it's really quiet. Houses in the part of Artane I'm from are all 400k plus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Although you'll get the usual student types reacting violently and sarcastically to any trepidation about social housing, there admittedly is a big latitude there. You can get some local authority estates that are far more settled than others. And the ones that are settled can often be pretty good places to live in terms of community and centrality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Army_of_One

but then we found out that there is social housing in the area

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

I'm not sure why people are so quick to ridicule someone who says they are wary of social housing areas.......not everyone grew up in those sort of areas.....some people grew up in middle class areas(far from upper class but also far from lower class) Those people have every right to want to live in an area similar to what they know.
    I would rather live an hr commute than live in a social housing estate and that comes from my numerous and varied interactions with these estates growing up. In the greater area I lived there was 2 social estates and they were no go areas unless you lived there.
    I am TOTALLY aware that it is a small % causing trouble and most residents are great but its the small % I'd be trying to keep away from and that small % do tend to make a lot of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

khaldrogo wrote: »
    I'm not sure why people are so quick to ridicule someone who says they are wary of social housing areas.......not everyone grew up in those sort of areas.....some people grew up in middle class areas(far from upper class but also far from lower class) Those people have every right to want to live in an area similar to what they know.
    I would rather live an hr commute than live in a social housing estate and that comes from my numerous and varied interactions with these estates growing up. In the greater area I lived there was 2 social estates and they were no go areas unless you lived there.
    I am TOTALLY aware that it is a small % causing trouble and most residents are great but its the small % I'd be trying to keep away from and that small % do tend to make a lot of trouble.

I felt the same when I was a kid, but now I realise that it was mostly in my head. 80% of my classmates came from those estates and there was no problem in school, so I shouldn't have had any hesitation about going into their estates. That ESPN article about McGregor that was ridiculed so much last month was actually right about Dublin being a parochial place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭Bredabe

khaldrogo wrote: »

I hear you on keeping away from the anti social behavior types, I was forced out of my private rented accommodation cause of that kind of behavior. But there are ppl who grew up middle class in social housing as well, due to circumstances beyond their control and the way the housing market has been for the past 10+ years.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I think this quest for a "good area" is probably doing some house-hunters a disservice because they are turning their noses up at locations that were traditionally working class but are now pretty mixed. I see this as a good thing myself because it may keep the prices down in places that are close to town that I may wish to buy in!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Lux23 wrote: »
    I think this quest for a "good area" is probably doing some house-hunters a disservice because they are turning their noses up at locations that were traditionally working class but are now pretty mixed. I see this as a good thing myself because it may keep the prices down in places that are close to town that I may wish to buy in!

Exactly and there are precious few areas in Dublin that do not have a 'social housing' area (current or historic) within a mile or so. You'd think we were Detroit or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Haidee_Hammond

Hi, I found this because I am in a very similar situation, although my boyfriend and I don't seem to entirely agree on our budget apparently XD
    We checked most of the same developments probably, Ashtown, Lucan, Clongriffin, we also checked Swords (good price but not great commute) and we checked Leopardstown, which brought me here, I get the impression Lucan/Ashtown/Clongriffin are not cheap but all things considered, they seem to have good value, Lucan being the cheaper although I had issues finding latest prices, Ashtown has a better commute, and Clongriffin seems like a nicer area, but not, Leopardstown... it is expensive and I am quite debt-averse, but surely is a nicer area, nice houses and for us at least is a great commute. But houses there are in the range of the 490k (depending on the house and next phase) instead of the 300/360k range the other houses, so I worry it might be too much. Anyway, let me know if you find out more or I can help you with anything! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I think Ashtown is a good spot, you have the train and plenty of buses and you can cycle into town quite easily too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭kg703

Hi,

Depending on the size of house you are looking for, try around the Killester/Donnycarney/Beaumont area. Grew up there and its great, near the dart, loads of buses etc. A house around the corner from my parents one, went for 295 recently. 3 bed semi. Dart line southside would be difficult to buy at that price range. The comment about social housing makes me laugh because there is social housing everywhere and a % of all new developments has to go to social housing. Also, just because there is some social housing, doesnt mean the area is bad! There are some well known 'rougher' areas in Dublin, just avoid them. But no matter where you go, teenagers are teenagers and avoiding 'social housing' is just silly really. With the housing market the way it is, be glad if you are able to buy in Dublin at all. I bought in Killiney a few months ago which would be considered quite a 'nice' area and walking past the park beside our house some kids were setting the bins on fire. No one is immune from this!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

I live in Edenmore now, got a house there for F all about a year and a half ago. You can walk to the dart in Raheny in 12 mins and I can drink in the Raheny Inn and still cycle to work in city centre in less than 30 mins.
    A lot of it is social housing but it's really quiet. Houses in the part of Artane I'm from are all 400k plus.

I just moved into Edenmore lately aswel . Can only say good things about the place for anyone thinking of buying there .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Raheny, Killester, Donnycarney, Artane ... still <400k properties in these locations with great transport choices, close to the city, close to coast, close to m1, close to m50, close to st annes park ...whats not to like :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Nobody in their right mind wants to splash 300k+ on a mortgage and then end up living directly beside social housing. How is that in any way somehow seen as a negative. Next people will be calling you a snob for not wanted to live beside a halting site. Get a grip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Southside

AnneFrank wrote: »
    Southside

An attic on the Southside

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Nobody in their right mind wants to splash 300k+ on a mortgage and then end up living directly beside social housing. How is that in any way somehow seen as a negative.

If you really believe it's a negative to live near corpo/council housing then you've issues. Much more likely to find anti-social behaviour in private accommodation tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

you'll find houses in that price range in some of the mature estates in Tallaght.... kingswood, kilnamanagh, old bawn, belgard....

all quiet enough areas with not a lot of trouble...

Advertisement