Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books/Reading 7-8yo

Options
  • 08-09-2017 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Can anyone recommend some books for an 7-8 yr boy who is well able read but doesn't seem to enjoy it.

He's read some Horrid Henry early readers and has no trouble with them but reading seems like a chore rather than the pleasure i'd love it to be for him.

He's also tackled some of David Walliams (Billionaire Boy and The boy in the dress) but has struggled a bit with these.

Horrid Henry has been the most successful but they are the Early Reader version, i'm not sure where to turn next :confused:

He loves listening when i read to his younger brother, at the moment we are reading A Footballer called Flip (books for boys) and he loves listening but won't pick up the book himself even though it's well within his capabilities.

Or any other tips to encourage him to read himself.

TIA.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

The Danny series by the O'Brien press are fab for reluctant readers. Danny's Smelly Toothbrush is a big hit. I had a boy who basically never read a book independently before and I have never seen a boy who enjoyed a book more. Hopefully your child will love them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

The Danny series by the O'Brien press are fab for reluctant readers. Danny's Smelly Toothbrush is a big hit. I had a boy who basically never read a book independently before and I have never seen a boy who enjoyed a book more. Hopefully your child will love them.

Thank you. I haven't heard of them but sounds like just what i'm looking for :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

roald dahl is a great writer as there are books for several levels he can work up through. Books like the twits are for 8 year olds then Fantastic Mr Fox is 9 and Matilda for 10. Several of his books have been adapted for film and stage which can be a nice insensitive to read the book. Quentin Blake who illustrated Dahls book is a writer in his own right and his books are worth checking out as the art is amazing or the Julius Zebra series by Gary Nortfield. Don't dismiss books that are heavy on art, comics and picture books can be great reads and a good option for kids who feel overwhelmed by too may words on a page.

If he enjoys listening to you read aloud have you considered books on tape. I loved them as a child as I could read along with the book on my own and it helped me develop a life long love of reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Captain Underpants? My daughter loves them but I know a lot of her male friends read them too and the main characters are boys. There's also been a film of it recently so maybe you could encourage him to read and have a reward of going to see the movie? Or let him watch the movie to encourage him to try the books then.

I often hear my daughter up in bed laughing at the books while she's reading them!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Roald Dahl is great for that age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭AidanadiA

If he likes listening to the stories, you could try story tapes. It can encourage them to take on more books.

My daughter loves reading, she is dyslexic (like myself) and at times words just don't come of the page right which is frustrating. So I did what my parents did, I got the book and the audio version too. You can listen and read at the same time. By 10 she was reading along with the Hobbit and LOTR's. At 17 she still loves reading(something I was afraid might not happen), books don't phase her at all and she rarely puts on the audio books now.

Thanks all.

We/he has read some Roald Dahl but again it didn't go down great but maybe it wasn't the right ones for his age. He started James and the Giant Peach but gave up. I'll try The Twits.

He loves being read to but i suppose the fact that he can read i feel he should be reading himself but if my continuing to read to him helps to nurture a love for stories then i'm happy to do that too. It's nice quiet time as well.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Does he like Harry Potter? My 8 year old loved the books

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Does he like Harry Potter? My 8 year old loved the books
    I was considering them but from what dr. google (:rolleyes:) seems to think they are more geared to the 9-12 yo bracket :confused:

I would think 7+ but read them yourself 1st.
    I had no problem with my 7 year old reading them but I also knew what she was reading:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

ariana` wrote: »
    I was considering them but from what dr. google (:rolleyes:) seems to think they are more geared to the 9-12 yo bracket :confused:

I wouldn't focus to much on what bookstores/publishers list as the age brackets. They are super general. Each kid is different and has their own level and also speed at which they develop. I was reading adult level books at a very young age while my brother struggled to read books for his age (but he caught up and both of us are big readers as adults)

While you reading to him is a nice bonding time for you I would rec looking at books on tape so he can hold the book and read along rather then just listening to you read.

Consider also getting a magazine subscription to the likes of the Phoenix - it's a weekly British comic book magazine aimed at 7 to 12 year olds that has some big name British children's writers contributing. They cover a wide variety of stories and writing styles so you can find what he likes to read and explore more books by those authors.

Advertisement