Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does an imported UK car cost more to insure?

Options
  • 08-09-2017 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

Should an english imported car cost more to insure? I'm due to renew and note that my cert has my car down as not an import but it is and I never would have denied that, I really don't rem being asked!
    I have been shopping around online and haven;t been asked if car an import or not.

If I were to decide to stay with current insurer, I would be happier to clarify this as do not want to have any inaccuracies on my cert. If it's gonna cost more, I guess I can just go elsewhere...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

73trix wrote: »
    Should an english imported car cost more to insure? I'm due to renew and note that my cert has my car down as not an import but it is and I never would have denied that, I really don't rem being asked!
    I have been shopping around online and haven;t been asked if car an import or not.

If I were to decide to stay with current insurer, I would be happier to clarify this as do not want to have any inaccuracies on my cert. If it's gonna cost more, I guess I can just go elsewhere...

Import within British isles is class a domestic import and may not flag as full import.
    Import from Japan is full import

Uk/N-Irl import cars can cost slightly more as all the extra perks that the car has over Irish spec have to be replaced in crash
    1) front spot-fog lamp/reverse sensors etc over bland numbers
    2) some cars come with kits/nicer bodywork again will cost more or need to be ordered from UK if local dealers can't get parts under normal stock-order

Depends how you look at it.
    If my insurer quotes €200 more for insurance -

I know that if car was €200 more to buy but I know I'm getting better finished car then I'd pay up no probs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Seeing as we don't manufacture any cars in Ireland every car us imported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭kielmanator

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Seeing as we don't manufacture any cars in Ireland every car us imported.

Ive always wondered about this. Why do the companies always ask this when looking for a policy, when we dont have car factories in Ireland?

Advertisement