Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3GB/32GB Android box Amlogic S912 Octacore -€40

Comments

Nope, looks like only 2g RAM, 8g ROM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Basil3 wrote: »
    Nope, looks like only 2g RAM, 8g ROM.

And what wonderful things can he do with 3gb over 2gb? For 99% of streaming, 2gb is well sufficient.

And what wonderful things can he do with 3gb over 2gb? For 99% of streaming, 2gb is well sufficient.

The question was whether it's a good price. It isn't. The RAM is less of an issue then the ROM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭styron

It's the Chinese rather than International/Global version -best avoided. limited English menu, limited Chinese apps & no play store.

https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/avoid-confusion-use-model-number-not-model-name.36604/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

I have an older mx box only 1gb which just can't handle kodi anymore, keeps pausing etc. I had to load a version of kodi on smpc or something like that because of older Android version.

I like the sound of the nvidia shield but can't justify the €180 plus price tag. Would the box in the op be a big improvement on my old box as in will I be able to watch programmes properly. I have excellent broadband?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

dodzy wrote: »
    I really have to get myself one of these. Every report is raving. Must be one serious piece of kit.

Don't believe in the hype! Mine arrived Friday and i'm not overly pleased so far (using it with a 4k TV and AV receiver):
    • The UI is 1080p, and most apps run in 1080p even if you have the resolution set to 4k in settings. This leads to soft / blurry interfaces as the upscaling in the Shield is not the best
    • As above, upscaling is not as good as a HTPC or what your TV might do. I tested out 720p and 1080p videos on all three. The Shield performs worst. The Shield isn't intelligent enough to play content at the native resolution and let the TV do the upscaling work. People recommend running the Shield @ 1080p and then letting the TV upscale to 4K. This is obviously only an option if you don't play any 4K content as it won't be available in Netflix or Youtube if running @ 1080p
    • Netflix 4K only works with HDCP 2.2 (as expected), but Kodi / SPMC loses the ability to set TV refresh rate to match movie frame rate when the Shield is connected to a HDCP HDMI port. So to get "Adjust Display Refresh Rate" working you have to connect to a non HDCP port, meaning you can't use Netflix 4K anymore
    • When the Shield is connected through my Pioneer AV receiver (which in the specs states it HDCP 2.2 support) it seems to see it as a non HDCP device, meaning Netflix 4K doesn't work.
    • When the Shield is connected directly to the TV, with ARC for the sound, Netflix only runs in stereo. Forcing surround sound in Android TV settings makes Netlix lose audio and video stutters badly.
    • Some micro stutters when playing local 4K file in Kodi.

For me, playing movies in the correct refresh rate is a must (e.g. 23.976hz for a 23.976fps movie). Right now as an all round solution (Netflix 4K + Local 4K movies + local upscaled movies) it doesn't tick all the boxes.

Maybe when the Shield gets Android 8 a lot of the above will be fixed, or maybe not.

For now I might use it as a Kodi box only (I could run it @ 1080p most of the time and manually switch it to 4K the odd time I have a 4K movie), and use the apps on my TV for Netflix and YouTube with their sluggish interfaces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

I have an older mx box only 1gb which just can't handle kodi anymore, keeps pausing etc. I had to load a version of kodi on smpc or something like that because of older Android version.

I like the sound of the nvidia shield but can't justify the €180 plus price tag. Would the box in the op be a big improvement on my old box as in will I be able to watch programmes properly. I have excellent broadband?

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭corks finest

2g isn't sufficient,have one for years need 3 for smoother play etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,092 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

2g isn't sufficient,have one for years need 3 for smoother play etc

2gb IS sufficient. Obviously more is better but 2gb vs 1gb are worlds apart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭brightkane

I have an mxiii 1gig and it's still flying it. I am amazed by it. Waiting for it to give me an excuse to dump it!

brightkane wrote: »
    I have an mxiii 1gig and it's still flying it. I am amazed by it. Waiting for it to give me an excuse to dump it!
    the old original mxIii were a cracking little box alright. Unfortunately the quality of the replicas that flooded the market were nowhere near as good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭vectra

brightkane wrote: »

Same here.
    I have the 2gb one and it still works great.
    I did hit the button on one of these though.

Got the delivery from Gearbest today. Ordered on 8th of this month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Got the delivery from Gearbest today. Ordered on 8th of this month.

I ordered on the 9th,dispatched on the 12th but can't track as the tracking number doesn't work. Fingers crossed it arrives this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭piplip87

Del007 wrote:
    One of the best ways of replacing your sky box is to get iptv, you can get lots of stuff on that.

Sasso wrote:
    Is this a plug and play type thing for a dummy like me ? Will it turn my tv into a smart tv, is that it ? What else ? Excuse the basic questions but I was thinking of a receiver type box to replace sky etc.

I have replaced my Sky with android boxes. All major Irish Channels have players plus there are plenty of apps which let you watch on demand.

If you are the kind of person who watches a lot of US tv shows that do not air here go for it. Plenty of apps that give you access to sport streams too

• Advertisement

I ordered on the 9th,dispatched on the 12th but can't track as the tracking number doesn't work. Fingers crossed it arrives this week.

The tracking never worked for me.

I was playing around with it tonight. Its a decent enough box. Look wise probably not as well made as the likes of Minix and doesn't feel as solid (cheap plastic and all) but these are just minor things.

Performance wise its quite snappy. 3gb RAM added with 32gb ROM and its flying. Android 7.1.2 pre-installed, that's a big plus. CPU/GPU is as good as any of the boxes out there (I am not taking about Nvidia here).

For the price of €40 its a great bargain. New version of Minix cost around €150.

coldfire1x wrote: »
    The tracking never worked for me.

I was playing around with it tonight. Its a decent enough box. Look wise probably not as well made as the likes of Minix and doesn't feel as solid (cheap plastic and all) but these are just minor things.

Performance wise its quite snappy. 3gb RAM added with 32gb ROM and its flying. Android 7.1.2 pre-installed, that's a big plus. CPU/GPU is as good as any of the boxes out there (I am not taking about Nvidia here).

For the price of €40 its a great bargain. New version of Minix cost around €150.

That's great that you are liking it so far. I have a m8s box that works perfect but I couldn't resist shiny and new toys to play with.

A lot of people on YouTube commented about the cheap plastic feel alright but it's what's under the hood of it is the most important. Have you found any problems with the colour? Afew reviews on YouTube said they found the black colours to be too dark (if that makes sense) so like in the first episode/first scene of stranger things it was just one dark screen until they did a firmware upgrade. I take it you didn't notice anything like that?

That's great that you are liking it so far. I have a m8s box that works perfect but I couldn't resist shiny and new toys to play with.

A lot of people on YouTube commented about the cheap plastic feel alright but it's what's under the hood of it is the most important. Have you found any problems with the colour? Afew reviews on YouTube said they found the black colours to be too dark (if that makes sense) so like in the first episode/first scene of stranger things it was just one dark screen until they did a firmware upgrade. I take it you didn't notice anything like that?

No I didn't notice that. I will check that episode but so far it's looking fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

You'll be happy to hear that problem with darkness was resolved in 7.1 and was the #1 reason folk updated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

What would be the minimum speed broadband connection you could get away with?
    I only have a mobile broadband connection. It's fine for Google movies etc but every so often it does go down to the lower resolution picture when the connection speed drops.

• Advertisement

Just ordered from op link at 50 odd euro and then I ordered a mouse pad for 13 euro. I'm just in from a work do with a couple glasses of wine on me so hoping I did the right thing. I did have the wherewithal to tick the UK box so hoping I didn't do too much damage. Tell me nothing can go wrong!

Decided I'm going to return the Shield I got from Amazon.

Although watching a 4k movie on it right now that my HTPC was struggling with...

If the Shield is the best Android TV box right now I might wait until the next generation to get one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭Invincible

What would be the minimum speed broadband connection you could get away with?
    I only have a mobile broadband connection. It's fine for Google movies etc but every so often it does go down to the lower resolution picture when the connection speed drops.

2-3 Mbps for SD
    5+ for HD live streams

Belgium tracking eventually showed on An Post website today...

ITEM RECEIVED DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE
    DUBLIN 12 28-Sep-17
    09:55 ITEM SENT TO CUSTOMS DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE
    DUBLIN 12 28-Sep-17
    09:55

....am i doomed?? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭headnorth

I emailed customer service when I ordered and asked for the price of goods on the outer packing to be put at $20 USD. Reply said no bother so hopefully it won't get caught at customs in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭halkar

They will ask for the invoice. I think they scan the packages and guess what is in it. Got caught for a phone. I had to send them the invoice and they calculated the tax.

headnorth wrote: »
    I emailed customer service when I ordered and asked for the price of goods on the outer packing to be put at $20 USD. Reply said no bother so hopefully it won't get caught at customs in Dublin.

banggood?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭headnorth

Yes Banggood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭poitinstill

dont think the value on the outside really works. think they must scan it or whatever hard to bluff them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

DUBLIN 12 28-Sep-17
    DUBLIN 12 28-Sep-17

When did you order. I ordered on 9th September but tracking number still dead.

Tzardine wrote: »
    When did you order. I ordered on 9th September but tracking number still dead.

8th shipped 9th

if tracking number ends in 'BE' then try it on the Belgium Post website....http://track.bpost.be/btr/web/#/home?lang=en

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

doylefe wrote: »

Can non Amazon/play store apps be loaded on to this?
    You know the ones i mean......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

8th shipped 9th

if tracking number ends in 'BE' then try it on the Belgium Post website....http://track.bpost.be/btr/web/#/home?lang=en

My parcel is "on the way to Belgium" apparently.

Just got a message from gearbest "item has been accepted in port laoise mail centre" so hopefully I've no customs to pay and it will arrive tomorrow,fingers crossed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

Got my gearbest in the post. Nice and fast but can't change the mediabox launcher. Any ideas?

Just got a message from gearbest "item has been accepted in port laoise mail centre" so hopefully I've no customs to pay and it will arrive tomorrow,fingers crossed

Come back and tell us your verdict straight out of the box please. I'll be interested to hear how its working on WiFi I've read a couple of complaints about this and I'm hoping they're rectified with the update. I've to wait at least 3 weeks I'd say.

Come back and tell us your verdict straight out of the box please. I'll be interested to hear how its working on WiFi I've read a couple of complaints about this and I'm hoping they're rectified with the update. I've to wait at least 3 weeks I'd say.

Will do indeed :) Coldfox posted about the box and his first impressions already afew pages back. My box was dispatched on the 12th so if it arrives tomorrow it will give you a rough idea on the length of time it takes to arrive

That's just over 2 weeks, not bad at all. I ordered it late last night and it was despatched first thing this morning. I ordered from Bang good. I can't wait. Enjoy.

• Advertisement

DUBLIN 12 28-Sep-17
    DUBLIN 12 28-Sep-17

Shagged

Just ordered from op link at 50 odd euro and then I ordered a mouse pad for 13 euro. I'm just in from a work do with a couple glasses of wine on me so hoping I did the right thing. I did have the wherewithal to tick the UK box so hoping I didn't do too much damage. Tell me nothing can go wrong!

Most of these are cheap outside,but bullet proof inside

Shagged

Booooooooooooo

DUBLIN 12 28-Sep-17
    DUBLIN 12 28-Sep-17

PM sent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,975 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Shagged

Just thinking, could you doctor the invoice to give a lower sale price figure?

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭09_09_09

The price has gone up to €56,71. Any promo code folks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭loki7777

Just thinking, could you doctor the invoice to give a lower sale price figure?

You could, but don't try it, not worth the problems you might have after doing that.

Has anyone received theirs from Banggood and shipped via Belgium Post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,975 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

loki7777 wrote: »
    You could, but don't try it, not worth the problems you might have after doing that.

Thanks for the info... What kind of problems would they be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Seems like a low return for getting yourself involved in tax fraud?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭styron

To make it "worthwhile" you'd need to falsify below €26 to get a waiver on the An Post handling (€10) along with all import VAT - otherwise it's just €2.30 for every €10 "reduction".

1. If caught, it's a fixed penalty €5K under the VAT Consolidation Act 2010 ... no waivers, for sure:

2j5xwr4.png

2. You'll be caught - a) they'll check the website against the invoice b) everyone else who's been caught buying the same box that day/week will submit a genuine invoice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement