Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you leaving Ireland because of the Housing Crisis?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

And those surveys are full of ****. I live in Vancouver which regularly places near the top of those lists, and while it is a nice place to live there's also tons of issues, some of which are the same as Dublin but some of which are different.

I disagree, I've lived in a few of the cities ahead of Dublin and you could really notice the difference in living quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Not sure if everyone who decides to emigrate would put blame to foreign people taking their place in the country for doing so though, especially when you've no Idea as to why those people are here.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,969 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Divelment wrote: »
    I started this thread as a serious thread on a serious topic, if you have nothing substantive to contribute in terms of your analysis or assessment, maybe better just keep your ignorance to yourself and not bother making any contribution at all because what you have posted there adds absolutely nothing to the discussion.

There are hundreds of thousands of people in my situation in this country, it is a reasonable question to ask, when do people decide as I have, that enough is enough and when do you decide to relocate?

Well your serious thread turned into irrational racism with deluded points about how green the grass is elsewhere and a jealous undertone of people who worked their arse off to get more educated than you to obtain high paying jobs but leaving their family's thousands of miles away.

Someone needs a reality check as all I am reading is the ramblings of a juvenile mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Divelment

Cyrus wrote: »
    Dublin isnt close to being overpopulated and there is a serious racist undertone to your postings

It's the kind of rhetoric ukip were spouting

What land of manna are you moving to

Saying that your city is heavily overpopulated is not racist, please go back and read what I have said, the thread is only 3 pages long!

You think that because places like Calcutta & Bangladesh are overpopulated, that therefore a small city like Dublin is therefore not overpopulated. You might explain how come there are so many people in homelessness and continuing to be made homeless if Dublin is not overpopulated? And how come those daily traffic jams that are causing total chaos on the M50 are happening, and those hundreds of people waiting on a trolley for a hospital bed, I suppose that is not in any way indicative of a city that is overpopulated, no? :rolleyes:

listermint wrote: »
    Well your serious thread turned into irrational racism with deluded points about how green the grass is elsewhere and a jealous undertone of people who worked their arse off to get more educated than you to obtain high paying jobs but leaving their family's thousands of miles away.

Someone needs a reality check as all I am reading is the ramblings of a juvenile mind

You have no idea how educated I am or otherwise, cop on. There are people in this city on very high salaries but cannot live here, this is the reality, because they are being gouged on rent. This obviously isn't going down too well on thread with you and others, who I notice are long time posters in this forum where the views of the property owning class seem to dominate the discussion.

I'm presenting a subject here from a non property owners perspective.

• Advertisement

Yeah, traffic jams on main arterial routes in a city is unique to Dublin.

You have no idea how educated I am or otherwise, cop on. There are people in this city on very high salaries but cannot live here, this is the reality, because they are being gouged on rent. This obviously isn't going down too well on thread with you and others, who I notice are long time posters in this forum where the views of the property owning class seem to dominate the discussion.

I'm presenting a subject here from a non property owners perspective.

That is not true.

Anyone on so called high salaries can afford to live in Dublin.

You are blaming people on your own deficiencies.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Yeah, traffic jams on main arterial routes in a city is unique to Dublin.

I urge the OP to move anywhere in the south of England or sure anywhere in the UK with a large city.

We can get a good laugh then about traffic..

That is not true.

Anyone on so called high salaries can afford to live in Dublin.

You are blaming people on your own deficiencies.

I'm not in any way deficient whatsoever. Yes you can choose to pay vastly too much of your net income in rent to keep a roof over your head, I've chosen not to, what is it about me making that choice that písses you off so much I wonder?

I urge the OP to move anywhere in the south of England or sure anywhere in the UK with a large city.

We can get a good laugh then about traffic..

Yeah, I think I said I wasn't moving to the South of England, I could go live in Bangladesh, but I'm not going there, am I?!?

• Advertisement

I'm not in any way deficient whatsoever. Yes you an choose to pay vastly too much of your net income in rent to keep a roof over your head, I've chosen not to, what is it about me making that choice that písses you off so much I wonder?

Who's pissed off?

Im sitting here on my couch smiling at how some young lad thinks he knows it all.

Nothing less interesting than someone who assumes they know it all.

I wish you well on your journey of enlightment.

Who's pissed off?

Im sitting here on my couch smiling at how some young lad thinks he knows it all.

Nothing less interesting than someone who assumes they know it all.

I wish you well on your journey of enlightment.

You haven't a clue about my age or my education yet you have tried to taunt me on both, that takes a special sort of ignorance. Go back to your foie gras and smoked cheddar there on your sofa and stop making a príck out of yourself on here this Friday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I'd still be interested how you know that there are whole blocks reserved for Non-National social housing.
    I found Dublin incredibly expensive, I moved out, problem solved.
    I'm also one of the bad non-nationals that moved here.

LirW wrote: »
    I'd still be interested how you know that there are whole blocks reserved for Non-National social housing.
    I found Dublin incredibly expensive, I moved out, problem solved.
    I'm also one of the bad non-nationals that moved here.

Do what I did and contact the local authority. I've already made it VERY clear that my problem is with government policy, not people who have come here. ;)

You haven't a clue about my age or my education yet you have tried to taunt me on both, that takes a special sort of ignorance. Go back to your foie gras and smoked cheddar there on your sofa and stop making a príck out of yourself on here this Friday evening.

I can't stand foie gras too much of an acquired taste for my liking.

I have no idea why you resorted to language, perhaps the short temperament is more the reason to move.

It would make sense.

I can't stand foie gras too much of an acquired taste for my liking.

I have no idea why you resorted to language, perhaps the short temperament is more the reason to move.

It would make sense.

Because you're making a tít out of yourself and quoting things about me that you know nothing whatsoever about, my age, education, what has any of that got to do with the thread topic? How ignorant can you actually get?!?

My spouse works in the local authority, I just asked him and he called bollicks. It happens that there are areas, blocks and units where you'd have a huge proportion of Non-nationals but that has nothing to do with reserve.
    It's different when it comes to Asylum seekers, but that's not the average social housing applicant and not really topic of the thread I assume.

Because you're making a tít out of yourself and quoting things about me that you know nothing whatsoever about, my age, education, what has any of that got to do with the thread topic? How ignorant can you actually get?!?

I apologise, your thread was so all over the place its quite difficult to keep track of what the current musing is

LirW wrote: »
    My spouse works in the local authority, I just asked him and he called bollicks. It happens that there are areas, blocks and units where you'd have a huge proportion of Non-nationals but that has nothing to do with reserve.
    It's different when it comes to Asylum seekers, but that's not the average social housing applicant and not really topic of the thread I assume.

How convenient!!! Yes they are "asylum seekers"... There is a whole block reserved for them in The Beacon South Quarter up in Sandyford. Nice if you can get it, meanwhile anyone who wants to live in the block next door can expect to pony up 2,000 Euro a month rent for a 2 bed apartment.

I apologise, your thread was so all over the place its quite difficult to keep track of what the current musing is

You must not be as educated as you think you are if keeping up with a thread that is 4 pages long is presenting you with such difficulties.

• Advertisement

How convenient!!! Yes they are "asylum seekers"... There is a whole block reserved for them in The Beacon South Quarter up in Sandyford. Nice if you can get it, meanwhile anyone who wants to live in the block next door can expect to pony up 2,000 Euro a month rent for a 2 bed apartment.

So much lols it's incredible.

Theres a whole block in one of the most sought after areas for workers in South Dublin reserved for asylum seekers.

Just.... I mean..

Don't put asylum seekers on the same level as Non-nationals because they are here for a variety of reasons, mainly work. Then what's the proportion of asylum seekers living in Dublin statistically to the rest of the population in Dublin?

Theres a whole block in one of the most sought after areas for workers in South Dublin reserved for asylum seekers.

Just.... I mean..

Must be a pain in the ass for them when they all get stuck in the lift door with their free prams. Just as well they can abandon them and get new ones the next day.

Just.... I mean..

What's your point? You obviously think it's normal to hand out blocks of apartments to asylum seekers many of whom are not asylum seekers at all but are merely economic migrants. Developed countries like Australia, they don't run with any of this because they know that for their society to function properly, they have to carefully balance resources like housing and healthcare, transport and education, with the number of people living in the country.

We failed to do this, so therefore we have a crisis in every single one of the above areas. It's really simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Wherever you're planning to go OP I'm sure the locals never complain about non nationals, and they have your housing and healthcare all ready for you.
    What's your point? You obviously think it's normal to hand out blocks of apartments to asylum seekers many of whom are not asylum seekers at all but are merely economic migrants. Developed countries like Australia, they don't run with any of this because they know that for their society to function properly, they have to carefully balance resources like housing and healthcare, transport and education, with the number of people living in the country.

I'm not sure how to break it to you gently, but you are an economic migrant too...

strandroad wrote: »
    Wherever you're planning to go OP I'm sure the locals never complain about non nationals, and they have your housing and healthcare all ready for you.

Another person too lazy to read the thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

NIMAN wrote: »
    I have experienced people in London, Paris, Madrid, Barcelona, Munich.....there's very grumpy gits all over the world.

And to answer your original question, no I'm staying in Ireland. I love my life up here in Donegal. No housing crisis for me. Lots of very friendly people about too.

That's interesting, what exactly do you love about life in Donegal? There's generally a lack of services in smaller villages, public transport is shocking, the county had the highest unemployment rate in the country during the recession, always found the people fairly smug, it doesn't have a university even remotely close to it in Irish terms and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Shocking racism displayed by the OP here. Totally, totally unacceptable.

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    Shocking racism displayed by the OP here. Totally, totally unacceptable.

IT IS NOT RACIST TO SAY THAT YOUR COUNTRY SHOULD HAVE SERIOUS PLANNING IN PLACE IF IT IS HUGELY INCREASING THE POPULATION WITHIN A SHORT SPACE OF TIME!!! HOW IS THAT RACIST?!?!?!?!?

• Advertisement

"I'm not racist but the "asylum seekers" in Sandymount get everything handed for free!!!!!!11"

Well, good luck in Edinburgh to the OP really, I genuinely hope he finds what he's looking for there. May he never be in the situation that he needs help from the welfare net in Scotland which would made him exactly what he obviously despises so much.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement